Gloss White Board

MangoKorat

Does anybody know if gloss white board - MDF, MFC or similar is available in Thailand?  I have a gloss white kitchen and would like to build a matching cupboard in the dining area - quite a large cupboard, wardrobe sized. I've searched the local DIY outlets - nothing doing there but that's not unusual, I still have to go to Bangkok to get a lot of DIY things or buy online. We have a Thai Watsadu and a HomePro but they only stock what sells locally. I'm near Pak Chong/Khao Yai so we're not exactly in the jungle and things are changing but still a way to go.

The kitchen manufacturer said they might be able to order some from Denmark - at a price but I suspect the maximum widths will only be 600 or 700. I can work with those widths if I have to but I'd like to see what's available. 18, 19 or 20mm thick preferable but could possibly use 15mm - just rather not.

I guess I could try a Thai based kitchen manufacturer as gloss white is popular at the moment - anyone know one that actually builds their own and not just buys them in?

Also a little advice from a woodworker about how to cut the sheets without chipping the gloss?

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Try "wood street" in Bangkok. Google will find it for you.

Something like this?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mdf-6-2-diy-i2890084912-s10553522334.html

I know, that is not the size you want, but it should help you to find similar products.

Thanks for that. A little wary of buying board online - high chance of damage.

Never been to 'Wood Street', I'll check it out. 

I am aware of an area, I seem to remember it being, North West of Bangkok where there's loads of woodyards. I got real wood skirting board from there when I couldn't even find a planed plank in my area - only fencing wood.  I have a business card from there in my desk (in Thailand) so I'll contact them when I get back.  Its possible but I just can't see wood yards selling MDF/MFC.

Wood Street on the other hand, being within the metro area might well have what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Thanks for that. A little wary of buying board online - high chance of damage.

I bought MDF online. The packing was mostly not too bad.

But yes, you can't be sure the corners arrive completely intact.

I guess board with melamine top is likely not so easily damaged. 

5 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I have a gloss white kitchen and would like to build a matching cupboard in the dining area - quite a large cupboard, wardrobe sized.

Maybe have a look at IKEA.

They have all kinds of cabinets and wardrobes and kitchens and whatever.

Some, i.e. some kitchen cabinets, have 20 years warranty. They are good quality, easy to assemble, and they have all the accessories like feet, door hinges, grips, etc.

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Does anybody know if gloss white board - MDF, MFC or similar is available in Thailand?

Standard sized sheets (1220 x 2400) with a laminate coating are available from better wood yards, I have some in stock. However the laminate is remarkably thin. You would be better advised to buy the laminate separately from the board and do it, or get it done, yourself 

For cutting it, use a high quality track saw and do a 0.5mm ~ 0.9mm climb score cut first. There will be no chipping of the veneer. 

It’s possible but I just can't see wood yards selling MDF/MFC.

The company I buy from makes wooden doors as well as selling wood.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Standard sized sheets (1220 x 2400) with a laminate coating are available from better wood yards, I have some in stock. However the laminate is remarkably thin. You would be better advised to buy the laminate separately from the board and do it, or get it done, yourself 

For cutting it, use a high quality track saw and do a 0.5mm ~ 0.9mm climb score cut first. There will be no chipping of the veneer. 

The company I buy from makes wooden doors as well as selling wood.

Thanks very much, very helpful.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe have a look at IKEA.

They have all kinds of cabinets and wardrobes and kitchens and whatever.

Some, i.e. some kitchen cabinets, have 20 years warranty. They are good quality, easy to assemble, and they have all the accessories like feet, door hinges, grips, etc.

Thanks but this is going to be a built-in cupboard - built in to an alcove.

15 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Thanks but this is going to be a built-in cupboard - built in to an alcove.

As it’s going to be a built-in the comment about thinness of the veneer does not apply and several cuts don’t need to be chip free, also the thickness of the board isn’t a factor as you can add glued on battens to the back of the boards to stiffen them. FWIW I think my boards are 12mm plywood 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As it’s going to be a built-in the comment about thinness of the veneer does not apply and several cuts don’t need to be chip free, also the thickness of the board isn’t a factor as you can add glued on battens to the back of the boards to stiffen them. FWIW I think my boards are 12mm plywood 

Yes, I guess if I build a good carcass it doesn't need to be 18-20mm. Plus batten the doors as you suggest.

Edited by MangoKorat

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The battens are to stiffen the carcass panels not the doors. For doors you are best advised to use a torsion box structure 

I might just see if I can by a white gloss sliding wardrobe door kit, they are available in the UK but I haven't looked in Thailand yet.  That would be a far easier solution.

13 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I might just see if I can by a white gloss sliding wardrobe door kit, they are available in the UK but I haven't looked in Thailand yet.  That would be a far easier solution.

The problem you will have is that any pre-made door will be a torsion box structure and will only permit a small adjustment in size before it becomes unusable. AFIK there are few if any small plain white melamine doors available on spec, but good luck on your search. I long ago decided that making things myself was much easier than trying to find anything slightly unusual.