Is Thailand a good place to settle down for the rest of your life?

RolandRat

5 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Fair enough if one does not want to get married. That's very much an individual thing.

A bunch of my friends are married to a Thai woman and most have perfectly good marriages. I think this is most likely because most of these guys have plenty going for themselves and took their time to get to know her before settling down. This is especially important with if you come from different backgrounds. If you have a good income / are good with money, are respectful & treat people well, and have self-confidence then you will attract decent women. If you don't have a lot going for yourself, lack confidence or have other traits that make you less desirable, then you are much more likely to end up in an unhappy relationship.

What if you're good with money, treat women well, as equals, with love and respect, are a good, available father, have good self esteem, take very good care of yourself, don't cheat, abuse or neglect, and still end up in an unhappy relationship? Don't fret, I already know the answer. You picked the wrong woman to marry. This is what he's been saying.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

What if you're good with money, treat women well, as equals, with love and respect, are a good, available father, have good self esteem, take very good care of yourself, don't cheat, abuse or neglect, and still end up in an unhappy relationship? Don't fret, I already know the answer. You picked the wrong woman to marry. This is what he's been saying.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. Be the best you can, put your best foot forward and with a bit of luck you'll attract a great lady. But like I said, there are no guarantees and sometimes it doesn't work out.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't come to TH with the intend of 'finding a Thai wife'    If you are not successful in relationships, changing locations will probably not change your success rate.

It's simple a location, most people are the same ... worldwide.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I wouldn't come to TH with the intend of 'finding a Thai wife'    If you are not successful in relationships, changing locations will probably not change your success rate.

It's simple a location, most people are the same ... worldwide.

Before I ever thought about moving here, or visiting here, I heard that Thai wives were the most loyal and attentive. I learned that this isn't always the way, and western women can be just as good, as long as you find one that has (had) a good relationship with her parents, especially her father. This is one of the most important traits you can look for, as a father (a good one) will teach his daughter how to relate to other males by seeing how he treats his wife, her mom, and also how he treats his daughter(s). Asian women are known for being attentive, and i see that here, although some can be the loudest, screaming banshees you'll ever run across, and this is what I heard about years earlier also.

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

I have been married to a Thai woman for 21 years moved back to OZ many years ago the only time we talk about Thailand when we book our next holiday 

There are many variables to the outcome of the "take the girl out of Isaan" scenario - "could be catastrophic" being the worst case. It's like gambling, you can win/or lose big, up to you to make the bet. Some are content to just collect their win at the slot machine and go home. Others walk over to the poker table... I was just pointing out a potential for disaster of what the OP considers "Your best bet."

Remember she is the enemy.  A burden and a huge drain on your finances.  She has her family and she will marry the government.  You have nothing and no one looking out for you.  Anything that does so much mental and financial damage would normally be described as a parasite.  Keep the go bag ready.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2024 at 1:41 AM, shdmn said:

I liked the idea of living in Thailand up until very recently.  Not just because of the tax and visa hassles, but because of the air pollution.  That keeps getting worse every year.   Now I am looking at the Philippines.  The infrastructure and food is not as good, but the air quality is a lot better on average, and no tax/visa hassles.

Great choice: Philippine Disaster Report 2021 - Citizens Disaster Response Center | CDRC (cdrc-phil.com)