safer tire fill

gamb00ler

My very well used Yamaha has a slow leak in both tires so I have to top up often.

The gas stations with air stations often have a sink for cleaning up afterwards.

The other day I had a brainstorm albeit a small one.  I had a plastic bag in the storage under my seat so I took it out and put some water in it from the nearby sink.  I poured the water over the muffler because I have to access the tire valve from that side.  Now, I am far less likely to get a burn from the muffler while filling the tire.

• Haha 1

I tried to find that small leak on my tubeless tyre, it needs a refill every week. I tried soapy water spray, but found nothing, checked rims, valve tyre side and body everywhere...! 

I think it needs one of those large water bath and a patient Thai mechanic, both very rare items here... 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

My very well used Yamaha has a slow leak in both tires so I have to top up often.

The gas stations with air stations often have a sink for cleaning up afterwards.

The other day I had a brainstorm albeit a small one.  I had a plastic bag in the storage under my seat so I took it out and put some water in it from the nearby sink.  I poured the water over the muffler because I have to access the tire valve from that side.  Now, I am far less likely to get a burn from the muffler while filling the tire.

papa finds it more convenient to just urinate on the muffler.

• Haha 2

I feel like it’s not a leak with the tires. My theory is it’s some cheap and common valves that just commonly leak (normal operation). Well I guess that is a leak but maybe you get the point. I have to fill up my tires every trip. I guess it’s a pain but I just gotten used to it. They all leak the same amount. I guess it could be the climate somehow but I doubt it. I think it’s Thai valves

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I tried to find that small leak on my tubeless tyre, it needs a refill every week. I tried soapy water spray, but found nothing, checked rims, valve tyre side and body everywhere...! 

I think it needs one of those large water bath and a patient Thai mechanic, both very rare items here... 🙄

Yes! It might be so slow as to be imperceptible with air bubbles. I bet if you swapped to new valves it would go away. I’ve just succomed to filling them all the time. Nice part is the fill stations have the digital readouts so it’s easy and fast 

I keep a small air compressor at home, these can be bought for less than 1,000 Baht online (Lazada, Shopee or others). The small ones are battery operated and can be charged with a phone charger. 

A purchase I can only highly recommend. You can even take it with you during travelling.

6 minutes ago, msbkk said:

I keep a small air compressor at home, these can be bought for less than 1,000 Baht online (Lazada, Shopee or others). The small ones are battery operated and can be charged with a phone charger. 

A purchase I can only highly recommend. You can even take it with you during travelling.

I was given a small compressor that plugs into a cigarette lighter and I shipped it over from US in our container.  When I brought it out the other day the plastic coiled hose had deteriorated badly and fell apart.  I see Global House has what looks to be a suitable replacement for <200฿ .

22 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Yes! It might be so slow as to be imperceptible with air bubbles. I bet if you swapped to new valves it would go away. I’ve just succomed to filling them all the time. Nice part is the fill stations have the digital readouts so it’s easy and fast 

I don't know, I would have thought losing 1 or 1.5 psi a day should generate some bubbles...!? 

My valves are Honda OEM still factory installed on Forza 350 Dec. 2020 (only 9000 km), although that doesn't say much, I don't rate high the Forza that Honda makes in Thailand as others call bultproof blah blah..., had terrible experience with gen 1 300 that I had for 5 years, let's see how this one pans out...! 

When they brought these digital air pumps a few years back I couldn't believe it, Thailand had finally moved to 21 century, made life a whole lot easier... 😅

57 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I don't know, I would have thought losing 1 or 1.5 psi a day should generate some bubbles...!? 

My valves are Honda OEM still factory installed on Forza 350 Dec. 2020 (only 9000 km), although that doesn't say much, I don't rate high the Forza that Honda makes in Thailand as others call bultproof blah blah..., had terrible experience with gen 1 300 that I had for 5 years, let's see how this one pans out...! 

When they brought these digital air pumps a few years back I couldn't believe it, Thailand had finally moved to 21 century, made life a whole lot easier... 😅

Yes could be. I hate finding leaks with soap I can never find it and I just never attempt it anymore. Unless the leak is huge of course then I will. 

58 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Actually it reminds me I had a camping air mattress once and I knew it was leaking and decided I wanted to repair it. I sprayed it 4 times with soap. All over. Looked as close as I could. Nothing. But I know there were holes in it. 

So get this, I finally said screw it, I’m just gonna get a new air mattress, but I wanna know where these leaks are. So I dried it all off, filled it up with water and then looked. To my surprise there were about 2 or 3 dozen holes / micro leaks in it! After that experience I get real wary if the ol soapy spray bottle stuff. It could not find one of those dozens of leaks! 

• Thumbs Up 1