LEEP costs and who does them

CuriousGeorge96

Hello everyone, my main question is does anyone out there have any information about specific places that perform a LEEP procedure and what the cost is?

My friend has gone to at least 3 hospitals, 2 govt and 1 private. The private finally told her she should have the LEEP done, but they would charge more for it than she can afford (75k Baht). The govt ones just want her to keep waiting and come back for more checkups.

We have searched for places that say they do them, but they want you to call them to find out costs. That could take a long time to find one that would do it without requiring more checkups and have an affordable price.

So if you have places and prices, especially if it is low cost, that would be great.

Also I read on another thread that it might be possible that the Red Cross facility might do this kind of procedure. Anyone know anything about that too?

Thx for any help.

Best and most expensive: Dr Panon, Samitivej Sukhumvit 

Quite a bit more than 75k

Available at most hospitals that offer OB/Gyn

Recommended and and about the cheapest: Chulalongkorn Hospital

Reckon about 10k

Easy if your friend is Thai.

She will need a friend to go with her and to take care of her on the day of the procedure. Any farang wil do, doesn't have to be Thai. 

Cheapest: the hospital where she registered for the 30B scheme.  Free.

This is not something you do on the spot  

9 hours ago, CuriousGeorge96 said:

without requiring more checkups

Any place who does it will want to see the examination results so far, and maybe require more checkups.

It does take time. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

Best and most expensive: Dr Panon, Samitivej Sukhumvit 

Quite a bit more than 75k

Available at most hospitals that offer OB/Gyn

Reckon about 10k

She will need a friend to go with her and to take care of her on the day of the procedure. Any farang wil do, doesn't have to be Thai. 

This is not something you do on the spot  

Any place who does it will want to see the examination results so far, and maybe require more checkups.

It does take time. 

As above.

Dr. Panon is absolutely tops and I'm not sure it would cost more than 75k with him. But might be around that, or a bit less.  No private hospital is going to be under 60k so if that is more than she can afford, don't bother asking and stick to government hospitals.

Is she Thai? As if so can get it for free under the government system. 

Larger government hospitals (including rhe Red Cross hospital you mention) can all do it. Esssential that she bring all records with her especiallly results of pap smear/thin prep and colposcopy& biopsy if done.

It is not always necessary to perform  LEEP for abnormal cells. Depending on exact test results, and how reliable the patient is for following up,  sometimes a "wait and see" approach with regular monitoring will suffice.  I would not assume that because 1 private hospital in Pattaya said  she needs this, that she necessarily does. I would however have 100% confidence in Dr. Panon's advice so really suggest a trip to Bangkok,  all records/ test redults in hand, to consult him.  Consultation  will be just be around 2,000 baht. Then if it seems LEEP is necessary can proceed to Chulalongkorn as mentioned above. 

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/doctor/detail/panon-kasemsarn

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Dr. Panon is absolutely tops and I'm not sure it would cost more than 75k with him. But might be around that, or a bit less. 

13 years ago, LEEP done by Dr Panon at Samittivej was 80,000. Hence my guess it will be more now.  At the time,  Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital were about 45,000.

Colposcopy done by Dr Panon was 8000 or 10000.

Cosultation was not much,  as you said. 

Reckon about 10k

Thx for the info. She is Thai. I will have to talk to her more. I thought it was strange that each place she went did not seem to have past records of exams and such. Since each place seems to want to start over with multiple exams and wait and see approach. The last place she went was the private hospital in Pattaya and they gave her some kind of cream treatment first before recommending the LEEP when that did not seem to help her improve.

I will pass on your suggestions and Sheryl's to her and hopefully we can get something figured out. Thanks to both of you for the quick responses. This was my first time on this site and wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks again. If you have any more information please feel free to post that also.

I'm pretty sure I did the quote from your post wrong, but I think it will work for now.

10 hours ago, CuriousGeorge96 said:

Reckon about 10k

Thx for the info. She is Thai. I will have to talk to her more. I thought it was strange that each place she went did not seem to have past records of exams and such. Since each place seems to want to start over with multiple exams and wait and see approach. The last place she went was the private hospital in Pattaya and they gave her some kind of cream treatment first before recommending the LEEP when that did not seem to help her improve.

I will pass on your suggestions and Sheryl's to her and hopefully we can get something figured out. Thanks to both of you for the quick responses. This was my first time on this site and wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks again. If you have any more information please feel free to post that also.

I'm pretty sure I did the quote from your post wrong, but I think it will work for now.

If she is Thai she should go to the hospital where she is registered under the "30 baht scheme" , bringing all records with her, and follow through there. Care will be free. 

If the issue is that her registered hospital is in the provinces, she can get registered at a local hospital by bringing proof of residence (rental contract, utilituly bill etc) to the district office. This is a new option in Chonburi and many are not aware of it.

Hospitals in Thailand -- even those within the government system --  do not share a database of patiient records. Indeed, many government hospital patient  records are not computerized at all. A hospital has no way of knowing her past history, test results etc unless she physically brings those records with her. She needs to go in person to the medical record dept of each hospital she has gone to,  and get complete copy of her records.  Then put in a folder and bring with her to each visit.