Foreigner fined for threatening Thai cyclist with dogs

webfact

21 hours ago, sambum said:

Grammar Police here - it's not a "witchunt" or a "witchurt" - it's a "witch hunt"!

Self appointed "Grammar Police"... The last bastion of the self important. If you choose to demonstrate your general understanding, all while remaining generally useless, at least attempt to be accurate. Spelling errors and grammatical errors are entirely different aspects of writing. Otherwise, you are simply being dull. Did I spell dull correctly?

Edited by Cabradelmar

1 minute ago, Cabradelmar said:

Self appointed "Grammar Police"... The last bastion of the self important. If you choose to demonstrate your general understand, all while remaining generally useless, at least attempt to be accurate. Spelling errors and grammatical errors are entirely different aspects of writing. Otherwise, you are simply being dull. Did I spell dull correctly?

No... :cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Self appointed "Grammar Police"... The last bastion of the self important. If you choose to demonstrate your general understanding, all while remaining generally useless, at least attempt to be accurate. Spelling errors and grammatical errors are entirely different aspects of writing. Otherwise, you are simply being dull. Did I spell dull correctly?

".........all while remaining generally useless, at least attempt to be accurate."

Got to give you a "Confused" emoji for that one 😕

And I didn't think that spelling correctly was a particularly "useless" talent to have, nor that "spelling errors and grammatical errors are entirely different aspects of writing"? Whoops, here's another one 😕 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ryandb said:

I was literally responding to a grown man even referencing that fact, not a child, also it does work with packs you make sure you retain eye contact with the Alpha, again if you act like a little bitch then they know. 

Fair enough, but aggressive dogs wont differentiate between an adult and a child, so we dont have the luxury of the generalised response of 'stand straight' and identify who the alpha is...

People runny, cycling or riding by don't have the time to identify who the alpha is.

The idea that we can 'stare down' feral dogs is also a flawed response IMO.

Which "dog lovers" are you referring to exactly? 

The standard 'dog lover response' I've seen in the past (nothing specifically directed at you).

Your solution would mean murdering all dogs, owned and strays for it to be a solution as we know owned unsteralised dogs are out there making pups because they are allowed to roam. 

Not quite - just 'murdering' all strays and un-owned dogs... otherwise known as 'culling'...   (as mentioned - its the least worst of the solutions to an ongoing problem).

Owned dogs should not be permitted roam unsupervised - owners should be fined in such cases (this is where education comes into it - as you pointed out below)

I agree there is no good solution, sterilisation is best but unfortunately, you can not do that with the Thai-owned dogs and most don't bother so the cycle continues, so you'd be murdering them forever, I'd suggest education is the best way forward to limit the future issue.

Agreed... but we have to start somewhere...  Education comes through 'fines' - i.e. owners being held accountable.

As far as feeding strays etc..  that takes a cultural shift - education as you point out, but that takes generations.

Its a tough conundrum, but sadly only one I see with a very tough solution. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 7:56 PM, john donson said:

resort owner, how ? farang cannot own land...

why is this not default assault charges with deadly dogs on top

There is no mention of him owning the land. Deadly dogs? I don't recall the article mentioning any death either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sambum said:

And I didn't think that spelling correctly was a particularly "useless" talent to have, nor that "spelling errors and grammatical errors are entirely different aspects of writing"? Whoops, here's another one 😕 

Seeing as you lack self awareness, here is a clue... correcting other people's comments (unsolicited) for spelling and grammar makes you annoying. It's simply strange behavior to want to correct the spelling/grammar of people (in an internet forum, no less) whom who don't even know. It's not only dull, but lacks originality. Try focusing on the facts and content of people's messages.

37 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Seeing as you lack self awareness, here is a clue... correcting other people's comments (unsolicited) for spelling and grammar makes you annoying. It's simply strange behavior to want to correct the spelling/grammar of people (in an internet forum, no less) whom who don't even know. It's not only dull, but lacks originality. Try focusing on the facts and content of people's messages.

Yes, sir!

By the way - as you're in teaching mode, you should really answer questions that are put to you - not just ignore them e.g.:-

"...... at least attempt to be accurate."

Could you explain where I was inaccurate? Just to increase my "self awareness".

"Try focusing on the facts and content of people's messages."

I do try, honestly, but sometimes the poor spelling and grammar confuses me e.g. "whom who don't even know"  Maybe I should try harder, Sir?

Edited by sambum

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

"...... at least attempt to be accurate."

Could you explain where I was inaccurate?

You self identify as "grammar police"... however, spelling errors are not grammatical errors. Maybe you should self identify as the "spelling police" for accuracy sake. Pardon my pandancy, but since we're correcting each other.

*Spelling Error: This occurs when a word or phrase is not spelled correctly.

*Grammatical Error: This involves mistakes in the structure or syntax of a sentence. Examples include incorrect verb tense, subject-verb agreement issues, etc., etc.

21 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

You self identify as "grammar police"... however, spelling errors are not grammatical errors. Maybe you should self identify as the "spelling police" for accuracy sake. Pardon my pandancy, but since we're correcting each other.

*Spelling Error: This occurs when a word or phrase is not spelled correctly.

*Grammatical Error: This involves mistakes in the structure or syntax of a sentence. Examples include incorrect verb tense, subject-verb agreement issues, etc., etc.

I self identified as "Grammar Police" as that is the accepted description "on here" for someone who corrects the grammar and spelling of other people's posts, but theoretically, you are correct - maybe I should have used the term "Spelling Police".

Now, excuse me for being asking so many questions but as I said earlier, sometimes the writing in the posts confuse me, so could you explain "Pardon my pandancy,...", please?

I did try Googling it but apparently there's no such word! Pedantic maybe?

I'm only joking - I know what you mean, but I just felt that if we were correcting each other.......?

Shall we just call it a day, before the Mods do?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, sambum said:

And it sounds like you're one of those big macho guys that has one or two Pit Bulls for company.

I have a Golden retriever and 2 small Thai street dogs, it's not about being some big muscle-bound dude, it's about your posture toward the dog, if you are an adult male unless it's some giant dog, you will outweigh it and be way taller. Too many just get into panic mode when a dog barks and run turning their back, which is the idiots way of handling the situation and will get you a bite on your calf. 

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough, but aggressive dogs wont differentiate between an adult and a child, so we dont have the luxury of the generalised response of 'stand straight' and identify who the alpha is...

People runny, cycling or riding by don't have the time to identify who the alpha is.

The idea that we can 'stare down' feral dogs is also a flawed response IMO.

The standard 'dog lover response' I've seen in the past (nothing specifically directed at you).

Not quite - just 'murdering' all strays and un-owned dogs... otherwise known as 'culling'...   (as mentioned - its the least worst of the solutions to an ongoing problem).

Owned dogs should not be permitted roam unsupervised - owners should be fined in such cases (this is where education comes into it - as you pointed out below)

Agreed... but we have to start somewhere...  Education comes through 'fines' - i.e. owners being held accountable.

As far as feeding strays etc..  that takes a cultural shift - education as you point out, but that takes generations.

Its a tough conundrum, but sadly only one I see with a very tough solution. 

I have no issue with protecting your child at any cost, but I was simply addressing a male adult who was suggesting to instantly pepper spray a dog, most the time it's just a dog barking saying get off my land, we wouldn't consider a human saying those words as dangerous. My landlord's dog often runs to the edge of the road and barks (mine live indoors, his doesn't), but he stops right at the edge and if the people keep going he doesn't follow.

running, and cycling do present issues, dogs instinct is to chase it's not necessarily aggression, even my little 8kg recent rescue one gets excited and stands on his hind legs on the leash when he sees the Muay Thai dudes doing their morning run past us on our walk.

I'm not usually one who likes fines (punishment for the poor but the rich do not care) but I agree until it is under control then punishment is required. Still, the normal thing here is they will say not my dog when it is and the dog gets into a problem, then if a stray dog is hit in the street by a driver suddenly there are 8 owners.

On 6/29/2024 at 6:41 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's a compliment, coming from the strangest person here. 

Have you seen all the confused and sad emoji's you got for your strange comment I replied to? Look below. 😂

You need to look in the mirror mate, something strange going on. 

IMG_20240629_175650.jpg

What a very strange reply, as you missed my play on words...555, geez there is something wrong with you.

29 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

What a very strange reply, as you missed my play on words...555, geez there is something wrong with you.

You seem to think that there is something wrong with everyone else!!!!

But it's YOU that has the problem, it's YOU that is strange. 

Look above at my previous comment, the screen shot of your comment I captured, only confused and sad emoji's. 

IT'S YOU. 

Best you stop from commenting at all, you are confusing us all. 

Everyone is missing your 'play on words'. Don't give up your day job, you won't make it as a comedian. 

I reckon you must be one of those fake, phoney Aussies we've been seeing creeping in AN forums lately, you are always making hostile comments. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, ryandb said:

I have no issue with protecting your child at any cost, but I was simply addressing a male adult who was suggesting to instantly pepper spray a dog, most the time it's just a dog barking saying get off my land, we wouldn't consider a human saying those words as dangerous. My landlord's dog often runs to the edge of the road and barks (mine live indoors, his doesn't), but he stops right at the edge and if the people keep going he doesn't follow.

running, and cycling do present issues, dogs instinct is to chase it's not necessarily aggression, even my little 8kg recent rescue one gets excited and stands on his hind legs on the leash when he sees the Muay Thai dudes doing their morning run past us on our walk.

I'm not usually one who likes fines (punishment for the poor but the rich do not care) but I agree until it is under control then punishment is required. Still, the normal thing here is they will say not my dog when it is and the dog gets into a problem, then if a stray dog is hit in the street by a driver suddenly there are 8 owners.

You seem like one of those rarities amongst dog "owners" in Thailand by virtue of the fact that you do keep your dogs under control, so well done there.

However, as you say in your last sentence, too may Thais do not take responsibility for their animals, and when they get into trouble ( the dogs!) suddenly it's a stray. 

There are far too many of these out of control "strays", and if someone gets bitten on the ankle while trying to avoid them, (by running away if necessary) then IMHO that animal should be put down immediately. All very well saying "stand your ground" or "face the Alpha male down", but the point remains that these animals are dangerous, and should not be allowed to roam loose. I know this is Thailand, and they do things differently here, but differently does not mean better, and that is the problem. Thais are not suddenly going to become responsible dog "owners" when for generations their "pets" have been allowed to roam free and form packs and alliances that can become a problem to people. 

My own opinion on how to solve the problem has been mentioned before  but is drastic. Any dog that does not have a collar that is roaming loose should immediately be taken "out of circulation", and euthanised - depending on the circumstances. Any dog that does have a collar and is roaming free should be impounded, its owner contacted, and punished accordingly, as the mantra of "dog lovers" seems to be there are no bad dogs just bad owners. So, theoretically, every dog should have a collar containing its owners contact details. No collar - no owner - impounded or  euthanised - simple (in theory!) And the responsibility for ensuring that the above "remedy" is enforced should be on the local councils/RTP shoulders.

But it ain't likely to happen because it would cost money, and would come very low in priorities on any council's budget, and after all Thailand are a nation of animal lovers are they not?  

Edited by sambum

On 7/1/2024 at 10:12 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

You seem to think that there is something wrong with everyone else!!!!

But it's YOU that has the problem, it's YOU that is strange. 

Look above at my previous comment, the screen shot of your comment I captured, only confused and sad emoji's. 

IT'S YOU. 

Best you stop from commenting at all, you are confusing us all. 

Everyone is missing your 'play on words'. Don't give up your day job, you won't make it as a comedian. 

I reckon you must be one of those fake, phoney Aussies we've been seeing creeping in AN forums lately, you are always making hostile comments. 

I'm sorry you cannot relate to my play on words, when the article is about dogs... and how some posts, on here, attack others like dogs, if that isn't clear then I feel sorry for you, best you move on.. I am NOT a fake, phoney Aussie, I am 100% Aussie, with a great sense of humour, something you do not have.  Have a nice humourless day.