What happened to you, Thailand?

bob smith

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I went from my airconditioned hotel with pool to my air conditioned restaurant for a nice cold beer with a friend and some hawker working hard in the hot sun all day carrying heavy stuff put their stuff down near me, showed no deference, and was annoyed I didn't but her stuff. Thailand is terrible now. Boo hoo. 

To be fair to Bob, the hawker probably had a minor tantrum when he refused to buy anything.

I've encountered similar situations myself. I've even just browsed market stalls and faced anger from Thai vendors: "Why you come? You look, you no buy." Many of us have experienced this negativity in heavily touristed areas.

In such places, some Thais may have become jaded—familiarity breeds contempt, and it's likely some hold a general disregard towards foreigners.

I believe most people understand that these experiences are not representative of Thailand as a whole.

In my opinion, it's quite stupid to make sweeping generalisations of a whole nation based on individual or localised experiences.

That said, in other contexts, a sweeping generalisation may be fitting... just not in the the case of bob's negativity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Not so hard to imagine. I just don't live roped into a ghetto where I've been led to believe that Westerners are  so important that you can't imagine a place without them. 

Want, or not want, isn't an option. They are everywhere. It's reality. Well over 30 years ago it was really no different. Now it's a factor of 10. 

3 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Want, or not want, isn't an option. They are everywhere. It's reality. Well over 30 years ago it was really no different. Now it's a factor of 10. 

You have no idea where I live, or where I go. Just because someone lives among a herd of vloggers who have spent a month or so in Bangkok and are now telling us how to do visas and where the best pizza place in the city is doesn't mean everybody else is satisfied with life in your ghetto.

Edited by John Drake

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You don't know who or who I don't see. And it's none of your effing business anyway. Self important clod with no life.

Well, well, no need to get your underwear all up in a bunch. You can remain in your blissful world devoid of any foreign infidels and pretend none of us are here. You can even log out of this site forever so that you don't even have to read any of our words. Life is good!

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

Well, well, no need to get your underwear all up in a bunch. You can remain in your blissful world devoid of any foreign infidels and pretend none of us are here. You can even log out of this site forever so that you don't even have to read any of our words. Life is good!

I did spend two weeks here once and didn't see another Western face... 

... I was in two-week quarantine (covid) after flying in.

Otherwise, in over twenty years of living here I've been all over Thailand, and one thing is very clear, rarely a day goes by without seeing another Western face, no matter where I am.

The whole concept that someone could live in a capital city and not see anyone beyond the nationality (race) of the host nation for over 6 months is preposterous... its completely and utter Bull shyite !!... 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You have no idea where I live, or where I go. Just because someone lives among a herd of vloggers who have spent a month or so in Bangkok and are now telling us how to do visas and where the best pizza place in the city is doesn't mean everybody else is satisfied with life in your ghetto.

Well, I used to live in Khlongtoey and now I live in Thonglor. Both are ghettos. In fact, is any part of Bangkok not a ghetto except for Taling Chan where there aren't any foreigners living?

I'll also be heading to the DLT office in Taling Chan in the near future. Just giving you a heads up so you can make sure you don't see me. Don't want to ruin your blissful paradise. 

Most of my issues have revolved around the law and insurance companies. l recently had a spate of thefts from my factory. The problems were reported to the Police and they have done nothing, l repeat nothing. Around B2.0 mil involved. Police were given the names etc of the offenders, but they still did nothing. And you wonder why people won't invest here.

2 hours ago, RSD1 said:

Hard to imagine that is possible unless you live at the end of a dead end Soi and never leave the area around the house. 

"I live in a part of Bangkok where I may not see another Westerner for six months or so."

"Hard to imagine that is possible unless you live at the end of a dead end Soi and never leave the area around the house. "

I can easily imagine it.

I live in an eastern suburb of Bangkok with essentially no tourist attractions.

I rarely see any westerners although I don't count the days.

My workplace is next door to a TOPS market and TOPS is usually popular with westerners, but I rarely see any farangs.

Although, I do occasionally see farangs, if I saw 2 in a day that would be exceptional.

I used to live in Ratchayotin and same thing, could go days without seeing a westerner.

Bangkok has a lot of neighborhoods where you won't see many westerners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

Well, I used to live in Khlongtoey and now I live in Thonglor. Both are ghettos. In fact, is any part of Bangkok not a ghetto except for Taling Chan where there aren't any foreigners living?

I'll also be heading to the DLT office in Taling Chan in the near future. Just giving you a heads up so you can make sure you don't see me. Don't want to ruin your blissful paradise. 

While there are fewer foreigners in area's such as Taling chan...     there are plenty there.

I've been there plenty of times, I have friends living over there... 

I see other foreigners in the market there....  far less than other more central area's of Bangkok... 

Nevertheless...  the implication of not seeing another foreigner for 6 months implies he's never left his street.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While there are fewer foreigners in area's such as Taling chan...     there are plenty there.

I see other foreigners in the market there....  far less than other more central area's of Bangkok... 

Nevertheless...  the implication of not seeing another foreigner for 6 months implies he's never left his street.

Where's the evidence?

He may have seen them but it's possible he didn't 

There are certain laws and idioms in this fallacy

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, genius. I don't live in Taling Chan. I have a PO Box there. I live 1km from Nakhon Pathom province. No, few foreigners here. 

2 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

"I live in a part of Bangkok where I may not see another Westerner for six months or so."

"Hard to imagine that is possible unless you live at the end of a dead end Soi and never leave the area around the house. "

I can easily imagine it.

I live in an eastern suburb of Bangkok with essentially no tourist attractions.

I rarely see any westerners although I don't count the days.

My workplace is next door to a TOPS market and TOPS is usually popular with westerners, but I rarely see any farangs.

Although, I do occasionally see farangs, if I saw 2 in a day that would be exceptional.

I used to live in Ratchayotin and same thing, could go days without seeing a westerner.

Bangkok has a lot of neighborhoods where you won't see many westerners.

Agree with this to an extent...       plenty of area's in Bangkok without many Westerners...

Going a few days Without seeing a western face, perhaps...  unless one remains locked in their home

However, the 6 month claim is funny....     as mentioned... it reeks of a Livingstone complex... 

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Well, genius. I don't live in Taling Chan. I have a PO Box there. I live 1km from Nakhon Pathom province. No, few foreigners here. 

Well genius, Nakhon Pathom is not Bangkok....       but that point is somewhat moot.

...   if you have left your home, moved around the area, gone to the local shops, super-maket etc - its inevitable that you'll see another foreigner.. passing on their motorcycle, in their car etc...    unless you are house bound - in which case, my apologies.

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

???

What's so confusing? Apparently you've never been to the Phutthamonthon area. Sais 1-3 are in Bangkok, while 4 on out are in Nakhon Pathom. Yes, there is a Foodland on Sai 4, a Gourmet Market east of Sai 3, and the Taling Chan Post Office is some ways away east of Sai 2.

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

I live in a part of Bangkok where I may not see another Westerner for six months or so. I've been here since 2010.

Just doing some quick math, you've only seen around 30 foreigners in your area of Western Bangkok in the last 15 years?

I guess if I only defined foreigners as anyone wearing a Beer Chang tshirt then I guess I could say the same. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Richard ..

I don't think we should be making jokes about eyesight considering your eyesight is not good and we both know what that was caused by 

Stop it Richard you"LL go blind son 

That might be the first time I've ever read anything of yours remotely clever...    decent attempt.

35 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I went from my airconditioned hotel with pool to my air conditioned restaurant for a nice cold beer with a friend and some hawker working hard in the hot sun all day carrying heavy stuff put their stuff down near me, showed no deference, and was annoyed I didn't buy her stuff. Thailand is terrible now. Boo hoo. 

You should of at least gave her a donation with all the money you stole off us Australian taxpayers during your "working" days as a public bludger 

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:
6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well genius, Nakhon Pathom is not Bangkok.... 

Speaking of someone with poor eyesight, read what I wrote 1km from Nakhon Pathom in Bangkok. 

Just a few meters over the border into Bangkok, eh... So your claim of 'not having seen a foreigner in Bangkok in over 6 months'  is more noteworthy...   

... Total BS...     unless of course you never leave your house or street....

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Speaking of someone with poor eyesight, read what I wrote 1km from Nakhon Pathom in Bangkok. 

I reckon if I went up to Bootyram, Ubon Nowherethani, etc then I would see more foreigners there than I would find in Western Bangkok? 

20 hours ago, bob smith said:

...better in what way?

bob.

Much better understanding of the language and culture. Which has allowed us to more seamlessly integrate in our local community. Which has allowed us to build a comprehensive network of local friends. Affording us easier access to goods, services, social opportunities and business partnerships.