Hotelier Hit with Hefty Copyright Fee for Posting Music Clip Online

webfact

image.jpeg

A well-known singer and hotel owner in Samut Prakan is facing a hefty copyright fee after posting a live music performance clip online. This incident has sparked a significant discussion on social media about copyright laws and their implications.

Kittiphan Leesatruapai, also known as Nath Leatana, owns a hotel in Bang Phli, Samut Prakan. Recently, he shared his story on TikTok, aiming to warn other musicians and business owners. Kittiphan explained that he was served with a notice for copyright infringement after performing a Thai song, "Thon Tua," and posting the clip on social media. The notice did not come directly from the artists but from an intermediary representing them.

To settle the issue, Kittiphan paid a fine of 50,000 baht, although the initial demand was much higher, reaching into the hundreds of thousands. He then deleted all copyrighted songs from his social media platforms and ensured that only properly licensed music was performed live or in his hotel and restaurant.

However, the issue did not end there. About a month later, the same individual returned with a list of ten songs, each accompanied by a demand for a 100,000 baht copyright fee. The person claimed to be authorised by the songwriters to collect these fees, putting Kittiphan in an even more challenging position.

Kittiphan expressed his frustration, noting that these were songs he had loved and performed since his youth. When he started his hotel and restaurant, his band initially did not perform many old songs. However, over the past two years, they incorporated these tracks into their performances, believing they had the proper licenses for in-house use.

He admitted that he was unaware that posting clips of these performances on social media constituted another form of copyright infringement. Despite the financial burden, Kittiphan acknowledged that the experience had significantly increased his understanding of copyright laws.

Kittiphan’s story underscores the complexities of copyright laws and serves as a cautionary tale for musicians and business owners.

Picture courtesy: Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-02

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a funny old world where you can be fined for, effectively, promoting someone's songs. maybe inspiring folk to go out and buy it. I've never understood that concept. Fine someone for giving them free advertising

They're being fined for stealing someone else's property in order to make money for themselves!

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a funny old world where you can be fined for, effectively, promoting someone's songs. maybe inspiring folk to go out and buy it. I've never understood that concept. Fine someone for giving them free advertising

Yes, that is ridiculous! What is even crazy is so-called "copyrighted images" and Gates Getty Images esp. notorious with extortion. Why taking pictures is free but sharing/using is not?

How much did that idiot pay to that Afghani girl with that look?

How much Reuters freelancers paid to crippled children in Gaza?

Copyright my a$$!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Yes, that is ridiculous! What is even crazy is so-called "copyrighted images" and Gates Getty Images esp. notorious with extortion. Why taking pictures is free but sharing/using is not?

How much did that idiot pay to that Afghani girl with that look?

How much Reuters freelancers paid to crippled children in Gaza?

Copyright my a$$!

Photography is different, in my opinion. People are less likely to buy photos in their millions, and to take those photos costs money to get there to do it. Using photos for free that someone has probably spent a great deal of money and time to secure doesn't promote their work to the same extent. But then, I work in the media and know sports photographers, so I might have a distorted point of view.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're being fined for stealing someone else's property in order to make money for themselves!

Yeah right, so you want to tell me I will be Elvis Presley if i start singing his songs on TikTok? Because I will start today.. Most likely people think, damn, please stop that guy right now. And then they do remember the nice songs, and listen to the real one, that makes the original artist money.

Anyway I wonder how this would work if someone in the audience would be the one who recorded and posted it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah right, so you want to tell me I will be Elvis Presley if i start singing his songs on TikTok? Because I will start today.. Most likely people think, damn, please stop that guy right now. And then they do remember the nice songs, and listen to the real one, that makes the original artist money.

I am pretty sure you can sing Elvis songs  on TikTok, as The Beatles traks also

TikTok has deals in place with distributors and labels in order to license music for the app. Artists then receive royalties from having their music used on the platform.

https://blog.audiosocket.com/blog/tiktok-music-royalties-how-does-it-work/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I am pretty sure you can sing Elvis songs  on TikTok, as The Beatles traks also

TikTok has deals in place with distributors and labels in order to license music for the app. Artists then receive royalties from having their music used on the platform.

https://blog.audiosocket.com/blog/tiktok-music-royalties-how-does-it-work/

Yeah its the thai songs being the issue here. It was more like an example as few know artists names. Its the same that most commercial places can't even play their own music, which is ironic, as they are always so proud on their country etc etc. The licensing is super expensive so nobody wants it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But then, I work in the media and know sports photographers, so I might have a distorted point of view.

I paid big deal for Photostock companies for their images, during my publisher's days. But than I found that nobody pays, just scan from other magazines and violate all copyrights vigorously. 

I don't have any opinion on this issue - but listening khun Thai singing is the strongest punishment above all. I used to live near karaoke - it is hell!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He then deleted all copyrighted songs from his social media platforms and ensured that only properly licensed music was performed live or in his hotel and restaurant.

It's not a free world... play/broadcast someone else's music you have to pay royalties.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

listening khun Thai singing is the strongest punishment above all. I used to live near karaoke - it is hell!

Thai language is tonal, yet many Thais are absolutely tone deaf when it comes to singing. And some even get onto tv to sing completely off-key. It's one of those Thai things that is impossible to understand.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thai language is tonal, yet many Thais are absolutely tone deaf when it comes to singing. And some even get onto tv to sing completely off-key. It's one of those Thai things that is impossible to understand.

Maybe lack of practice? I haven't seen heavy practicing thais - sabai-sabai life style forbids anything related to it.

Yes there are not all sama-same, obviously and athletes from Thailand participate in Olympics and other competition, yet... 

But none of my acquaintances had present skills to be proud of. Even this dude:

spacer.png