Monthly budget in Thailand

susanlea

7 minutes ago, susanlea said:

“People should be aware that there is little to no data supporting the use of antioxidants to protect against disease,” said cardiologist Toren Finkel, chief of the Center for Molecular Medicine at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2011/10/06/radical-thinking-on-antioxidants-2/

There are countless more recent studies that say otherwise:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6828919/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/301506#benefits

https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-antioxidants

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

From your 2nd link

"Overall, however, there is a lack of evidenceTrusted Source that a higher intake of specific antioxidants can reduce the risk of disease. In most cases, results have tended to show no benefit, or a detrimental effect, or they have been conflicting."

:coffee1:

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

From your 2nd link

"Overall, however, there is a lack of evidenceTrusted Source that a higher intake of specific antioxidants can reduce the risk of disease. In most cases, results have tended to show no benefit, or a detrimental effect, or they have been conflicting."

:coffee1:

Whatever, buddy. You just keep on keeping on doing your thing, and I'll do mine. In my mind, it's a toss up whether the gofundme page will be in the stranded overseas or the medical section. You start a thread asking whether 31K is a reasonable budget, and pick fights with anyone who tells you it might not be sufficient. Begs the question: If you're so sure of yourself, why did you start the thread?

Just now, Gecko123 said:

Whatever, buddy. You just keep on keeping on doing your thing, and I'll do mine. In my mind, it's a toss up whether the gofundme page will be in the stranded overseas or the medical section. You start a thread asking whether 31K is a reasonable budget, and pick fights with anyone who tells you it might not be sufficient. Begs the question: If you're so sure of yourself, why did you start the thread?

Some people only spend 10,000 to 15,000. Why don't you pick fights with them :coffee1:

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Another person living in a 'room'. Who on earth considers that to be living. 

Walk free

Reading free

Gym can be free

Riding a bicycle can be free

Motorbike cheap

120 baht massage

Watermelon shake 35 baht

Why do you need to spend lots of money to have fun?

Most people buy crap they dont need or pay 5 to 10 times the cost price in expensive restaurants.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Another person living in a 'room'. Who on earth considers that to be living. 

My office is a little less than 40 sqm, and I spend 80% of the time I am home in that small 'room' and don't have claustrophobia. I consider that to be 'living' as much as those farangs that spend the whole day in their favored pub nursing on a big Leo........ 🤪

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Your diet is ridiculous to be honest. Eggs, peanuts and blueberries contain 95% of the nutrients you need. Add in 2 meats you got everything.

You don't need to eat 30 different things to be healthy. 

25- 30% protein, 40 - 45 carbs%  25- 30 fat % 

Balanced diet on meat, fish, fruit, nuts, vegetables, grains, beans, seeds, eggs, fish/olive oils, and some diery products. 

Todays lunch, whale meat on our 13km walk, supported by wild strawberries and raspberries 20240701_112135.thumb.jpg.6158928c35637c12d9c7420a2a2f3922.jpg20240702_121723.thumb.jpg.282a4fe37aab5280b12d89ce43d5454c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

id wager i do about 10000/month...my rent is due today so thats 4500....i take 500 bt out a day to spend but rarely spend that so maybe min wage...300 a day.....just ride my bike and listen to spotify and get some food..one meal a day aka 100 bt...

exercise...listen to my fav tunes...get outside..drink some iced teas....get watermelon--yogurt..grill some chix...=100/200/day

lost 5kgs already.....come home watch news/movies on my chromecast.......keeping it simple and no complaints....sabai sabai

You do a lot on your disability pension .,pity you couldn't afford to buy a Apartment...

So you live in a studio room 21sqm 

Go and look in the mirror and look back at your life and ask yourself what you achieved , absolutely nothing is the answer 

I feel sorry for you a red faced angry man who cycles every day with NO seat as you have posted 

Not going to ask why you have no seat that's your business and please spare me the reason !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I cook every meal and don't pay rent as well. Would you be kind enough to advise what your monthly expenses or at least monthly average food expenses are? 

I spend a lot on my diet, including high end coffee, nuts, imported canned seafood, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, durian, grapes, chocolate, dried fruits, shell fish, salmon, imported cheeses, etc. In calendar year 2023 I spent 183,752 baht on foot (no alcohol, but includes sundries such as household cleaning items). This was also offset by extensive fruit orchards and vegetable garden production.

A lot of new comers to Thailand think wow, a bowl of noodles only cost 35 baht, I can feed myself for 100 baht easy peasy, without stopping to consider that that is not a very healthy diet over the long term. As @Hummin said, [living] eating healthy in Thailand is not that cheap.

I really don’t know. If I figured it out you would not believe me though. I don’t buy anything like that. I’ll pm you and post some here. I buy one 5 liter olive oil every idk 6 months or so. I eat a lot of eggs. Salad stuff at makro isn’t too expensive. Just the basics. My salads are good! Simple. Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, salt pepper, olive oil balsamic vinegar and put some fish on top. You gotta cut out all that stuff you buy from your diet. The nuts… all of it. Cheese is horrible for you. I’ll pm you my story if you really wanna know. And it’s terribly expensive. That’s why I say people are paying a high price to make themselves fat and unhealthy. For fruit I stick to bananas, mangos (rarely bc I don’t think they are good for you), lam Yai, the furry red one haha, mangosteen, watermelon. You get the idea. And I get potatoes at makro. It’s like 30 baht for a huge bag of them. I buy lentils on lazada and it’s the one thing ive learned how to cook well. You gotta sauté the onions and garlic before, haha. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

I really don’t know. If I figured it out you would not believe me though. I don’t buy anything like that. I’ll pm you and post some here. I buy one 5 liter olive oil every idk 6 months or so. I eat a lot of eggs. Salad stuff at makro isn’t too expensive. Just the basics. My salads are good! Simple. Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, salt pepper, olive oil balsamic vinegar and put some fish on top. You gotta cut out all that stuff you buy from your diet. The nuts… all of it. Cheese is horrible for you. I’ll pm you my story if you really wanna know. And it’s terribly expensive. That’s why I say people are paying a high price to make themselves fat and unhealthy. For fruit I stick to bananas, mangos (rarely bc I don’t think they are good for you), lam Yai, the furry red one haha, mangosteen, watermelon. You get the idea. And I get potatoes at makro. It’s like 30 baht for a huge bag of them. I buy lentils on lazada and it’s the one thing ive learned how to cook well. You gotta sauté the onions and garlic before, haha. 

Pm me too if you want. I find cheese good vitamin k and calcium which is hard to get. Eggs and mushrooms are great. 

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Your cat eats in restaurants and rents condos. Amazing cat.

You assume to many things! And it shows what kind of person you are. As an elderly couple without children we tend to spoil our cat and 3 dogs. The cat is 8 kilo's and only eats fresh shrimp or tuna. Yes it's crazy but, unlike you, we have the money to do it. Your budget BTW has more holes in it then Trump's economic disaster. 

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Pm me too if you want. I find cheese good vitamin k and calcium which is hard to get. Eggs and mushrooms are great. 

I don’t eat cheese. I stopped eating it due to a sinus issue I had years ago. I should say dairy, not cheese. I stopped eating dairy. I was exercising a ton in the years I was eating dairy. I had man tits and a belly. Not the worst but I hated it. I dropped the dairy. My sinus issue went away and I lost a ton of weight and I seriously cannot even gain it back now if I tried. I will pm you my key to almost negative food bill in Thailand. Like seriously. I know it’s unbelievable but maybe you’ll believe it when you read it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I don’t eat cheese. I stopped eating it due to a sinus issue I had years ago. I should say dairy, not cheese. I stopped eating dairy. I was exercising a ton in the years I was eating dairy. I had man tits and a belly. Not the worst but I hated it. I dropped the dairy. My sinus issue went away and I lost a ton of weight and I seriously cannot even gain it back now if I tried. I will pm you my key to almost negative food bill in Thailand. Like seriously. I know it’s unbelievable but maybe you’ll believe it when you read it. 

Im happy to learn. Never stop learning is what life is all about.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

You assume to many things! And it shows what kind of person you are. As an elderly couple without children we tend to spoil our cat and 3 dogs. The cat is 8 kilo's and only eats fresh shrimp or tuna. Yes it's crazy but, unlike you, we have the money to do it. Your budget BTW has more holes in it then Trump's economic disaster. 

What gibberish. Don't know why you bother writing such crap.

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Just a quick exchange of notes: I eat plenty of hummus, baba ghanoush (made with Thai eggplant and sesame seeds), black/red bean chilis, feta salads, bitter melon with egg, shiitake mushrooms. Year round veggies from the garden: green beans, bitter melon, eggplant, corn peppers, basils, carrots, collard, cilantro, etc. 20 years ago, without a car, I ate strictly what could be found at the local talaat nat, but have gradually shifted over time to a more Western diet, motivated mainly by a desire to eat a balanced more varied, healthy diet, but perhaps also because I found I missed some foods from back home.

I fully understand that on paper 500 baht for day would sound high, but that works out to 15,000 baht per month, and unless you eat like a bird, or eat a strictly vegan diet, I really don't think that it's excessive. The cost drivers are things like coffee, cooking oils (olive and avocado), nuts, chocolate, and imported fruit, and seafood. One thing you said which surprised me was that you think nuts are unhealthy. I'm under the impression that they are extremely heart healthy, rich in fiber, healthy fats, etc.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

No offence but your budget sounds like a justification rather than something you'd like. Food budget low and likely not too healthy given you aren't cooking and living in hotels. Not much pleasure in it. Somehow finding free bikes and gyms and 120 baht massages with presumably no tip. I had an 80 baht coconut shake today because the 30 baht ones are mainly water with added sugar and watermelon gets old fast. 

17 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

And you even have the 2 poodles in a twin baby pram with pink & blue ribbons on their head .

I saw this a few weeks ago In a supermarket in Thailand, old bloke limping pushing a pram with 2 barking mutts in it treating them like his children, probably you BubbleBum !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No offence but your budget sounds like a justification rather than something you'd like. Food budget low and likely not too healthy given you aren't cooking and living in hotels. Not much pleasure in it. Somehow finding free bikes and gyms and 120 baht massages with presumably no tip. I had an 80 baht coconut shake today because the 30 baht ones are mainly water with added sugar and watermelon gets old fast. 

I prefer fresh coconut. 40 baht in some places.

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

And you even have the 2 poodles in a twin baby pram with pink & blue ribbons on their head .

I saw this a few weeks ago In a supermarket in Thailand, old bloke limping pushing a pram with 2 mutts in it treating them like his children, probably you BubbleBum 

What's wrong George. Thailand holiday was a dud and being back at work sucks. Feel good to go around trying to get revenge for some perceived slight with 10 different posters. Lets talk about it. Are you ok?

• Haha 1