Thailand Encouraged to Embrace Solar Energy for Economic Gains

webfact

22 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

They generally always talk about how the prices of solar panels have dropped significantly in recent years, but that is not the biggest cost, which is the batteries first and inverters second.

The biggest cost varies from system to system, it directly depends on how much  panels or batteries you have.

For a solar system to function you need only panels and the inverter, batteries are optional.

The inverter is usually the cheapest component.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

solar.jpg

Thailand's abundant sunlight offers a prime opportunity for a solar energy revolution, yet high initial costs and complex regulations hinder widespread adoption.

Piyasak Pichetanawin, Vice President of the Solar Energy Association of Thailand, urges the government to promote solar energy use, particularly in the industrial sector.

Piyasak highlights the crucial role of green energy in reducing operational costs for businesses. He advocates for public education on the economic and environmental benefits of clean solar energy.

To stay competitive globally, Thailand must integrate solar energy into manufacturing, following European nations' lead in requiring imports to be produced with clean energy.

Many industries are transitioning to clean energy to sustain export markets, and without this shift, Piyasak warns that Thailand may struggle to compete with nations already adopting cleaner technologies.

Implementing solar energy in heavy industries can lower production costs and offer potential tax exemptions. The cost of clean energy technology has become more affordable, with solar panel prices dropping by over 30%.

The technology is now easier to install, use, and maintain, with a longer lifespan, making broader adoption feasible.

Piyasak notes growing public interest in clean energy, with projects ensuring high standards by qualified contractors. Clean energy is now used in various sectors, from national utilities to shopping centers and households.

He emphasizes the need for government support in simplifying approval processes for solar panel installations and calls for policy adjustments to make clean energy affordable and accessible.

Despite Thailand's strong energy security framework, barriers to clean energy access remain, and making it convenient for the public is crucial.

In conclusion, Piyasak underscores Thailand's solar potential, urging Thais to harness their abundant sunlight effectively despite common complaints about the heat.

File photo courtesy: Wikipedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

There was a time that Yingluck promoted solar energy with plans to put panels on all official buildings. 

However she tried to bypass the owners of petrol business obviously. So she had to fail. 

Hopefully this time it will be accomplished?🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, lom said:

The biggest cost varies from system to system, it directly depends on how much  panels or batteries you have.

For a solar system to function you need only panels and the inverter, batteries are optional.

The inverter is usually the cheapest component.

With my own experience I have different results.

The idea was that I would no longer be dependent on the mains, so then there would always be batteries, and with a larger amount of solar panels, you also pay significantly more for the inverters.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As long as the government owns the electricity companies (some partially and some wholly) there will be no change.

The revenue stream is what it's all about. 

Solar, in private and commercial installations is seen as depriving the government of this valuable money making enterprise.

The government should not own any utilities in any way shape or form.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

Betting the government will see green energy as a source of tax revenue.

I suggest that the Government (i.e. taxpayers) is more likely to be asked to subsidise the solar energy industry in a quest fot the elusive "net-zero".  Which is already costing European governments - i.e. populations - a fortune.  With huge additional costs in the pipeline.

Solar-generated electricity is ideal for certain circumstances and locations.

But factors such as intermittency, variability of demand, storage, transmission, depreciation, and potential damage [insurance], must also be borne in mind.

That said, domestic electricity demand (and bills) could be substantially reduced by more widespread use of solar water-heaters, in place of those running off the electricity mains supply.

More sophisticated modern types are said to be able to function without direct sunlight.

A well-insulated storage tank can keep water hot for many hours. And if the storage tank is placed above the receptor-panel, to make use of the therrmo-syphon effect, they can function without any electricity.

• Like 1

When is a subsidy not a subsidy.

I did a bit of fact checking on government subsidy of solar and found only two countries, Spain and Italy, make direct subsidies.

The other countries listed, make tax breaks, VAT exemptions and FIT (feed in tariff) rules none of which, to my mind. costs the taxpayer anything.

Source:

https://www.maysunsolar.com/blog-european-countries-photovoltaic-pv-subsidy-policies/#:~:text=These policies promote energy independence,energy and protecting the environment.