Switching from Marriage extension to Pension Extension

I’m thinking of switching my extension from being based on marriage to being based on pension but I’m not sure if I’ve left it too late for this year.

My current extension runs until 31/10/2024 but I’d like to do the extension on 15/10/2024 just in case there are any issues.

If I increase the money in my savings account to 800,000 before  15/07/2024 will that be in time? 

Thanks in advance

OP, first reply gives you complete advice.

Also explanation of "based on retirement" rather than "pension extension".

I assumed from title you were referring to income method over funds in bank.

Your wife will need to attend for this change however no required ongoing for subsequent extensions 

49 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

My current extension runs until 31/10/2024 but I’d like to do the extension on 15/10/2024 just in case there are any issues.

Just beware, though, that your new retirement extension will be dated 12 months from 15/10/2024 rather than 31/10/2024.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Just beware, though, that your new retirement extension will be dated 12 months from 15/10/2024 rather than 31/10/2024.

Good point. Some folk assume that the extension on retirement will be dated from expiry date of current extension.

As you point out that is not the case.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good point. Some folk assume that the extension on retirement will be dated from expiry date of current extension.

As you point out that is not the case.

It's depending of the immigration office; no matter when I comes and apply for a new one year extension based on retirement, my extension runs for 365 days from last expiry date.

Edited by khunPer
typo
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

It's depending of the immigration office; no matter when I comes and apply for a new one year extension based on retirement, I my extension runs for 365 days from last expiry date.

That's correct however....

The OP is changing what the extension is based on.

From marriage to retirement.

When that is done the extension (12 months) is dated from day of application.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, narkeddiver said:

Thanks for the info folks

for some reason the word Retirement escaped me earlier this morning and I could only come up with Pension as a replacement 😉

Yes we all use the term "based on retirement" .

In actual fact you don't need to be retired. 

You need to be 50+ 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

Thanks for the info folks

for some reason the word Retirement escaped me earlier this morning and I could only come up with Pension as a replacement 😉

And of course, lots and lots of folks around here call them a retirement visa. What's in a name? It's all the same thing innit!

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

"Retirement Visa" means nothing definitive to me.

At a guess could be referring to a Non O-A.

When folk use term "retirement visa" then follow up questions are required in order to advise. 

I always look at the context to decide whether the author actually means a 'visa' or an 'extension'. And I'm usually right.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I always look at the context to decide whether the author actually means a 'visa' or an 'extension'. And I'm usually right.

That is a cop out. So MANY threads in this forum over time where from the OP question and title heading has folk having no idea how to advise. 

That is evident in many requests for clarification.

Don't understand what you mean "visa" v "extension" 

Even visas vary. eg Multi vs Single entry etc.