Reconsideration of afternoon ban on selling alcohol in progress

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

to stimulate the tourism industry

This is so typical Thai. Have some law or regulation to protect the health or something like that, and then ignore it or replace it to make more money and ignore the original reasoning.

Luckily that restriction never made much sense and was often ignored in small shops. So, it doesn't matter if a useless las will be abolished.

Maybe they can do the same with many other useless laws.

• Like 2

Will encouraging factory workers to get drunk all day will not help the economy that much? 

The government cannot believe that the tourist numbers are enough to guarantee a lot more income?

It will be the Thais who suffer.

Edited by Purdey
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Purdey said:

Will encouraging factory workers to get drunk all day will not help the economy that much? 

The government cannot believe that the tourist numbers are enough to guarantee a lot more income?

Just off the boat? Article not meant for public consumption, dude, since anyone with half a brain or who has spent time here knows how to drink 24-7 if they so wish.

Thais will not suffer (deary me, in what way?) since it is all around them ALL the time.

21 hours ago, Purdey said:

Why would factory workers get drunk all day? Do you look down at them?

On 7/4/2024 at 9:09 PM, dinsdale said:

As I remember it was Thaksin that enforced it in 2004.

Bit of a generalised statement. It is a law that has been selectively enforced so cannot be attributed to any one person.

Shops, restaurants and bars have all been treated differently. The OP specifically referred to restaurants which have probably had less problem selling alcohol during the day than any other venue.

A great deal depends on where you live rather than the law.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bit of a generalised statement. It is a law that has been selectively enforced so cannot be attributed to any one person.

Shops, restaurants and bars have all been treated differently. The OP specifically referred to restaurants which have probably had less problem selling alcohol during the day than any other venue.

A great deal depends on where you live rather than the law.

Were you here in 2004 when one day you could buy beer in 711 at 4:00pm and the next day you couldn't? Who was the PM then? Thaksin. My post wasn't a generalisation. I was stating a matter of fact. How it's been enforced was not part of my OP.

"As I remember it was Thaksin that enforced it in 2004."

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Why would factory workers get drunk all day? Do you look down at them?

So you don't think working class Thais will suffer most from all the alcohol available? 

Check out the articles of husband's killing wives while smashed. Then imagine many more drunken husbands.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Purdey said:

So you don't think working class Thais will suffer most from all the alcohol available? 

Check out the articles of husband's killing wives while smashed. Then imagine many more druen husbands.

Oh, good. Why don't we just ban alcohol all the time then?

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

My post wasn't a generalisation. I was stating a matter of fact. How it's been enforced was not part of my OP.

"As I remember it was Thaksin that enforced it in 2004."

Of course it was,  and now claiming "enforced" not in your OP.

Obviously since I came in 1999 I haven't frequented the same shops, restaurants or bars as Thaksin.

It is not a matter of fact that you could not/cannot buy alcohol outside the so called hours, even during the Thaksin era. At the end of the day you cannot have partial enforcement.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Of course it was,  and now claiming "enforced" not in your OP.

Obviously since I came in 1999 I haven't frequented the same shops, restaurants or bars as Thaksin.

It is not a matter of fact that you could not/cannot buy alcohol outside the so called hours, even during the Thaksin era. At the end of the day you cannot have partial enforcement.

It was obviously enforced to an extent. That's why supermarkets and places like 711 still have to comply to the prohibition hours "enforced" by the Thaksin government. Enforced and how it's enforced are two different things. It's compulsory i.e. required by law that alcohol is not sold to minors. This happens all the time. It's compulsory to wear a helmet, seatbelts, don't speed, don't drink and drive but obviously this happens all the time. What doesn't happen is the possibility of going to a 711 at 10:30 in the morning or 4:30 in the afternoon and buy a beer. This happened and was "enforced" by the Thaksin govt in 2004. As I said in a previous post one day you could by a beer in 711 at 4:30 in the arvo and the next day you couldn't. I was here for that.

• Agree 1