Labour Set to Win General Election Landslide, Exit Poll Indicates

13 hours ago, RayC said:

I agree that the cost of net zero should be estimated, although that that calculation will involve a lot more complexity than some basic maths.

Notwithstanding that, in your original post you seemed to reject "globalism"*? How can the UK thrive if it does?

* Tbh I am never sure what people mean when they reject "globalism/ globalisation"? What is the alternative? Acting in isolation? Imo that is both undesirable and impractical.

The going rate of net zero is about £1.4 trillion according to the office of budget responsibility. 

https://www.ft.com/content/b02b9d51-3e0c-435c-9b53-774ee12ea277

Globalism (at least how I use it) means that the UK politicians act for and on behalf of "team world" rather than "team UK".  

• Thanks 1

People going on a "proportion" of the "the vote" have totally missed te point - several years ago Lib Dems had a referendum on proortional representation which was roundly rejected - now all those who opposed it are maoning about lack of proportional representation... how daft can you get?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

People going on a "proportion" of the "the vote" have totally missed te point - several years ago Lib Dems had a referendum on proortional representation which was roundly rejected - now all those who opposed it are maoning about lack of proportional representation... how daft can you get?

People complaining about a referendum result because it didn't go their way. Sound familiar?

5 hours ago, James105 said:

The going rate of net zero is about £1.4 trillion according to the office of budget responsibility. 

https://www.ft.com/content/b02b9d51-3e0c-435c-9b53-774ee12ea277

Globalism (at least how I use it) means that the UK politicians act for and on behalf of "team world" rather than "team UK".  

Thanks for posting that interesting article.

The UK acting in isolation isn't going to greatly affect emissions, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't act: Someone has to take the lead.

Imo all nations act in what they perceive as being in their own best interests rather than on behalf of "Team World".

52 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

People complaining about a referendum result because it didn't go their way. Sound familiar?

You really haven't got a grasp have you? - the referendum was a FPTP when it sould have been a 2/3 majority for constitutional change.

THe issue is the difference between democracy and mob rule, but those talking about pervcentges against a FPTP system don't understand that.

Well, let's give some context to and analysis of the results of the UK election. This is how I see it:

1. The result isn't a ringing endorsement of Keir Starmer and his party, more a punishment episode handed out to the Tories (won't call them conservatives as they aren't now). Labour have actually lost a few % of the popular vote since 2019. Thing is, the political map is deceiving due to our archaic "First-past-the-post system".

2. Everyone knew that the Tories were in for a bashing, just a case of how bad it was. The other big loser of the election was the SNP in Scotland, and rightly so, as they are guilty of the same as the Tories... i.e. not listening to voters and doing silly stuff, self-inflicted outcome.

3. Reform have done well and have scooped up a lot of Tory voters from last time, even though they only got 5 seats. In a Proportionate Representation system they would have got like 100 seats. I guess the other big winners where the Liberal Democrats as they upped their seat number from like 11 seats to 62 or so in 2024... a big increase, so looks like many voters lent their vote to other parties, but not Labour.

4. The cautionary tale from this election is that voters are much less loyal to the two main parties than they were before in the days of voters voting Labour/Tory regardless of anything... voters are more fickle and volatile now if parties are seen as not delivering or being dishonest. This might actually be a good thing and help governments stick to what they promise and deliver solution (which is what they are supposed to be doing).

5. Labour has been ambiguous about many of its policies and it is not the same party that Tony Blair ran and go into power... it is a very different beast now, and a sanctuary for everyone and anyone who simply doesn't like the Tories, from apologists of a rainbow of topics to union barons to moderate center-left types to the far-left loons to communist Corbyn types and on and on. All these factions are going to start calling in favours and trying to steer the narrative and policy in their direction... controlling all this will be very hard.

6. It is inevitable that taxes will rise and the boats will keep coming, plus starting a love-in with the EU again could all grate many folks.... buyer's remorse is a real possibility. As you all know, you reap what you sow, I'm afraid.

However, having said all that, I hope they sort it out, and the proof will be in the pudding... we'll see soon enough. I guess, with the expectations and impatience  of the modern day public, failure to deliver will instigate a punishment too at the next chance to vote. Democratic governments everywhere need to wake up out of their slumber and deliver, as people are getting the hump with a lot of things.

Cheers.

54 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You really haven't got a grasp have you? - the referendum was a FPTP when it sould have been a 2/3 majority for constitutional change.

THe issue is the difference between democracy and mob rule, but those talking about pervcentges against a FPTP system don't understand that.

Yes, I do have a grasp.

People complain when referendums don't go the way they want.

The rest of the drivel you wrote is inane and nothing to do with my comment.

On 7/5/2024 at 12:48 PM, JonnyF said:

Yeah it's ridiculous

3.9 million votes = 4 seats.

3.2 million votes = 66 seats.  😄

image.png.fe83fdb53037d17f585456e1a93ae798.png

The Lib Dems have been campaigning for PR for 40 years or more. Now it affects Farage you're moaning about it. Who would've thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Labour have actually lost a few % of the popular vote since 2019

That's not true. Labour received 32.2% in 2019 and 33.7% in 2024. Pretty steady.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/717004/general-elections-vote-share-by-party-uk/

3 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

The cautionary tale from this election is that voters are much less loyal to the two main parties than they were before in the days of voters voting Labour/Tory regardless of anything.

I tend to agree, though my point above suggests that the Labour support hasn't changed that much (at least since 2019). The right wing is now fractured and there is a real existential threat to the Conservatives (though I don't personally think there will be the Armageddon some are predicting). I think many floating voters, those not involved in the tiresome nazi vs wokeflake debates, have grown tired of the Tories and their constant in-fighting. It's like they have no idea who they are. Nigel Farage has blown that apart, and now we have a situation not dissimilar to France, where the traditional Republican Party has been decimated by support for Le Pen's RN Party (via way of Macron first time round).

The biggest problem (imho) for the Tories is that Nigel Farage has actually been elected to the House of Commons. Any hope they could cosy up to an unelected Nigel to bring his supporters into the Tory fold is now gone. Nigel's in the House and he ain't for moving.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Yes, I do have a grasp.

People complain when referendums don't go the way they want.

The rest of the drivel you wrote is inane and nothing to do with my comment.

I was posting about PR/AV v FPTP and you tried to make an inanae remrk about referendums that would indicate that you don't understand either in your 2 posts.

25 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I was posting about PR/AV v FPTP and you tried to make an inanae remrk about referendums that would indicate that you don't understand either in your 2 posts.

No. I merely mentioned it's not unusual for people to complain about the results.

That was in reply to you saying " now people are complaining".  Not inane. Perfectly on topic.

27 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. I merely mentioned it's not unusual for people to complain about the results.

That was in reply to you saying " now people are complaining".  Not inane. Perfectly on topic.

"People complain when referendums don't go the way they want."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

The Lib Dems have been campaigning for PR for 40 years or more. Now it affects Farage you're moaning about it. Who would've thought. 

I wasn't aware that the time a party was in existence was a factor in gaining seats.

I thought it was all about votes.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Not just roughly but incompetently, too. Exactly why is a second referendum undemocratic? Are you claiming the the UK electorate doesn't have the right to change its mind via a democratically voted on referendum? Is that your idea of democracy?

You can't have a second referendum before the result of the first one is implemented. This is what Remainers were proposing.

That would be like me proposing having another general election in 18 months because I didn't like the result of this one (but insisting the Tories stay in power until then).

Unlike salty Remainers, I respect Democracy too much to make such a ridiculous, entitled demand.  

So in fact, my translation was not only accurate, but highlighted the inane hypocrisy of the Remainers position post Brexit. I hope you are able to understand the point this time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You can't have a second referendum before the result of the first one is implemented. This is what Remainers were proposing.

That would be like me proposing having another general election in 18 months because I didn't like the result of this one (but insisting the Tories stay in power until then).

Unlike salty Remainers, I respect Democracy too much to make such a ridiculous, entitled demand.  

So in fact, my translation was not only accurate, but highlighted the inane hypocrisy of the Remainers position post Brexit. I hope you are able to understand the point this time. 

Brext hasn't been implemented? Is the UK still a member of the EU? Are there any major negotiations pending? 

• Thumbs Up 1