Undesirables in Thailand

BangkokBernie

18 hours ago, BangkokBernie said:

As time goes on, I've noticed more about the negative aspects of many of the visitors I've come across in Thailand, either through personal interaction, through friends, or from things I've read in the media, a lot of it being posted here on AseanNow. Overall, it's pretty disconcerting to see so many different types.

I would say these undesirables are either involved with alcohol abuse and public drunkenness, fraud and violent crime, predatory sex tourism and exploitation, drug use and trafficking, or cultural disrespect.

All the alcohol abuse and public drunkenness is mostly prevalent in places like Pattaya and the tourist and nightlife centers of Bangkok, Phuket and Samui, and thankfully it is not all across the country. But we see many cases of excessive drinking leading to disruptive behavior (often directed towards locals), fights with locals and other foreigners, and destroying both public and private property.

Then, the involvement of some foreigners in criminal activities is another significant and growing concern. From petty theft to serious offenses such as financial and internet fraud and violent assault, these actions strain local law enforcement agencies and threaten the general public safety.

Sex tourism is also a big thing. I'm not referring to the many visitors that come to Thailand, follow the rules, and are well behaved patrons of the nightlife, but it's the one's participating in activities that involve human trafficking, underage women, and child exploitation that are the disease. This not only tarnishes the image of foreigners and labels them as sexual predators, but it also perpetuates a cycle of illegal and immoral activities that harm the most vulnerable segments of the local population.

It then makes you wonder, despite the country's strict drug laws, there are still, as we see in the news so often, many who will take the risk and engage in illicit drug use and trafficking. This not only puts them at significant legal risk, but creates a host of social issues and problems, which contributes to the already negative perception of foreigners in the country.

Lastly, the lack of respect for the local culture is also shocking. Love the local culture in the host country or not, one needs to show respect when they are a guest in that country, yet it’s so common to see visitors dressed inappropriately at religious sites, behaving loud and/or getting nude in public, and showing little regard for any local traditions. These behaviors not only harm the cultural venues, but shows a blatant disregard for the country.

I think the presence of these groups in Thailand is undeniable. I guess we can only hope one day that things change and these types are no longer welcomed into Thailand.

When you look on those emojis you got there are still a lot of undesirables here. Unfortunately! 🤮