Avoid Being the Stereotypical American When Travelling Abroad

Posted (edited)

Aimed at idiots of all nationalities. Superfluous here, except for the "know it all" point, in a forum blessed with a majority of highly credentialed, authoritative, cynical know-it-alls, often uttering predictions and prophecies to Thailand's detriment.

Notably, bigotry was left out, but more characteristic of another particular nationality known for its pretensions to superiority and constant unfavorable comparisons of Thailand to their home country.  

As an American, I totally agree with the "speaking too loudly" point. Not all Americans do, of course, but the percentage who do is rather too large. I'd note that the same can be said about certain other nationalities, but even among the supposed quieter ones, you may unfortunately run into exceptions. Reminds me that I really enjoyed my years living in Japan.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah, they are entertaining to see. Not annoying at all. They are big children who think they know and own everything, specially if they are from Texas...

They call you "Sir" which mean nothing. They ask "How are you?" which means nothing.

But they spend more they can afford, as long as CCs are working, so they're great visitors.

CASH? One wrinkled $ 20 bill...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Aimed at idiots of all nationalities. Superfluous here, except for the "know it all" point, in a forum blessed with a majority of highly credentialed, authoritative, cynical know-it-alls, often uttering predictions and prophecies to Thailand's detriment.

Notably, bigotry was left out, but more characteristic of another particular nationality known for its pretensions to superiority and constant unfavorable comparisons of Thailand to their home country.  

As an American, I totally agree with the "speaking too loudly" point. Not all Americans do, of course, but the percentage who do is rather too large. I'd note that the same can be said about certain other nationalities, but even among the supposed quieter ones, you may unfortunately run into exceptions. Reminds me that I really enjoyed my years living in Japan.

Loud?  have you ever lived next to Chinese guest at a hotel?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Yank bashing at it's best, and supposedly by a Yank ... :cheesy:

... next :coffee1:

Hate even replying, as yet another _ _ _ _ _ to the count.  When will they, silly threads stop ?

I open 3 pages now when visiting ...

... TH Motor forum, see if an new posts

... Alternate Renewable forum, same

... 1st page of current, and can't even get pass that without some new silly thread.  Rarely go pass the 1st any more, as what's the point.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Loud?  have you ever lived next to Chinese guest at a hotel?

I'd note that the same can be said about certain other nationalities

Try a flophouse in Hong Kong.

I have met tourists from all over who do not read up on the country they are visiting. They 

can be quite ignorant and especially if they do not keep their cool and not start shouting and

arguing about prices and saying it is better in their home cuntry. i usually just chuckle, but a few times i 

say, well if you buy it at your home, you can save room in your suitcase, good luck with the price though.

I seen one guy who would tousle a childs hair, and i asked him why he was doing that, the parents were not 

happy, and I told him of the Thai custom.  It only takes a small amount of time to read about customs to make yourself a

better more understanding tourist, no matter where you come from. IMO