Why Are You Here?

HugoFastor

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thai wife, plus, saving money like there's no tomorrow......'only' spend 40k a month in total.

I here that all the time.  Then I ask about the car they are driving they paid for in cash, health/car Insurance paid annually and the misc big spend items that pop up every few years.  Usually just a shrug and I really don't count those response.  One was actually paying 50% of his claimed budget on his annual yacht club membership if amortized.  For example, if your rent is 20k and your friend owns his home his monthly budget would be 20k less but that isn't how it works in the real world.  To save that 20k most spend millions of baht.

I live in the sticks like yourself and the upfront costs can be huge ( mine weren't that bad ).

Edited by atpeace

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I was assigned to Thailand in the early 70's working the US Military in NKP, then with family in 76-79, 97-2000, and again 03-05.  I hate cold weather/snow.  I love Thai food, hot weather, and even the rainy season (but not floods).  I found that the Thai people accepted western foreigners and that the dollar went a lot further than in the US, so when I retired in 2005 I moved to Thailand.  I have not regretted at any time, still love it though the pollution seems to be getting worse, govt leaning a lot more towards China (BRICS) but the food is still great too.  After first wife (westerner) died of breast cancer, I remarried a Thai lady, and we have a 20-year old daughter currently a student at Chulalongkorn University (on summer break so she is doing a summer Korean class at Seoul National University).  Once the government decides to publish the final paper on the income taxation picture here so that the majority (I think) of expats can relax then life could be even a bit better.  Hope all still enjoy the reasons for moving here.

Nice story. Thank you for sharing.

I agree on the issues you mentioned. The tax issue has a lot of people concerned. Pollution is a problem. And flooding could become a bigger problem in the next 5 years. Hopefully never a major earthquake though. The fault lines in Laos aren't that far away. 

17 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

Nice story. Thank you for sharing.

I agree on the issues you mentioned. The tax issue has a lot of people concerned. Pollution is a problem. And flooding could become a bigger problem in the next 5 years. Hopefully never a major earthquake though. The fault lines in Laos aren't that far away. 

1st year we moved to CM about 10 years ago, we rented an apartment on hte 3rd floor - 5.3 I blvt on the scale - watched water splashing out of the pool, wires swinging right outside the apartment bldg - we had discussed buying 2 of the condos in that bldg as it was new and vacant except for us - my wife immediately afterwards said - nothing that isn't on the ground!!! In other countries (i.e. Japan, the PI, California, I have experienced 8 and 9 earthquakes - PI was my 2nd choice for retiredment but the earthquake bit and volcano (pinatubo in PI while I was in Manila) decided to take my first choice.  Will hopefully live here till I'm no longer around but seems to me that the weather is getting worse and worse everywhere!  have a good one!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

1st year we moved to CM about 10 years ago, we rented an apartment on hte 3rd floor - 5.3 I blvt on the scale - watched water splashing out of the pool, wires swinging right outside the apartment bldg - we had discussed buying 2 of the condos in that bldg as it was new and vacant except for us - my wife immediately afterwards said - nothing that isn't on the ground!!! In other countries (i.e. Japan, the PI, California, I have experienced 8 and 9 earthquakes - PI was my 2nd choice for retiredment but the earthquake bit and volcano (pinatubo in PI while I was in Manila) decided to take my first choice.  Will hopefully live here till I'm no longer around but seems to me that the weather is getting worse and worse everywhere!  have a good one!

CM was great before all the air pollution ruined it.

Adding more to the Thailand natural disaster risk scenario, local experts are predicting a major typhoon to come up through the eastern seaboard and rip through Pattaya and Bangkok in the not too distant future. It's difficult to ever know how serious these risks really are, but I guess you can't focus on them too much:

Edited by HugoFastor

1 minute ago, HugoFastor said:

CM was great before all the air pollution ruined it.

Adding more to the Thailand natural disaster risk scenario, local experts are predicting a major typhoon to come up through the eastern seaboard and rip through Pattaya and Bangkok in the not too distant future. It's to ever know how serious the risk really is, but I guess you can't focus on these things too much:

Yeah, currently we are renting a house in BKK as daughter is a college kid...but own our house in CM, in discussions the past year, wife says she wants to keep the house but during the "burning" season thinks that we should travel to someplace with clean air.  Who could argue with that?  Islands or PI?  During that part of the year, believe that winds are from the east - maybe beaches of VN might be okay.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yagoda said:
5 hours ago, Nemises said:

Can do this in Thailand also. 

No reports? No TM30s? No fees for reentry? No contact at all with an immigration drone?

I think not.

You are wrong. 

Been living here many years, have never been into an immigration office nor have any idea where it is. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1