When is a foreigner considered a local in Thailand?

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are Thais, there are tourists, and there are foreigners who live here since many years, who speak some Thai, etc.

Some call this group "locals".

I am one of those locals.

We locals are often ignored by the people who like to rip off tourists.

We often get local prices like Thais.

There are many aspects to this.

That's the same for any seasoned traveller in general, even he/she never lived here.

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Even better; a tourist most likely get better service and attention too.

If that is the case for you, then you do something wrong.

Enjoy the company of your will travelled friends. I am sure they will confirm to you that you are the man. 😉 

• Haha 2

I lived in Esperance WA for a while, you are only considered local after 20 yrs, you were then invited to sit outside the post office and drink a coffee and it makes headline news in the local rag. :crazy: trying to get a job there was almost impossible if you were not 'Local'.

Here after one month they accept you. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Never, and dont you forget it, 

But sadly many do. Thankfully Thais will still call you farang forever to constantly remind you of the reality. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

How about if you got Buddhist tattoos and drink cheap blended scotch with soda?

Then you should at least be able to get a job as a Tuk-Tuk driver. 

• Haha 2

Put it this way - if you happen to be an ethnic Hmong, for example, who was born in Thailand, whose parents were born in Thailand, whose grandparents were born in Thailand, there is a good chance that you are considered an alien, without Thai citizenship.  If you are a white, you will most likely always be considered an alien, even if you as famous as the late Bruce Gaston.

20 hours ago, RSD1 said:

I see so many foreigners who've been in Thailand for a minute and who have a job, a work permit, a yellow book, a pink card, are married to a Thai, etc, and they suddenly think they are no longer viewed as a "tourist" by the locals in the land of smiles.

In my opinion, none of that changes anything, nor does the amount of time you've lived in the country for that matter. You can never change the fact that you are a foreigner on the outside and that you will always be viewed and treated as such by the locals.

If you think that it's truly anything different then I think you are sadly mistaken. Personally I prefer it that way and wouldn't want it to be anything otherwise.

Do you see it any differently? What are your thoughts on the matter?

I agree.  I have been here for more than thirty years, have a Thai family, speak Thai, have a yellow house book and a pink ID card, yet I know that I will always be considered a foreigner.