Extending a visa-exempt entry

My current 30-day visa-exempt entry I got at Suvarnabhumi expires on 22 July. Due to a change in overseas work scheduling, I won't depart until nearer the end of this month, so I will need an extension to cover the approximate 10 extra days here. Is there any classification or type of extension I need to ask for at my local immigration office? I am married and living in Udon Thani and my marriage extension expired while I was on my last overseas job. Since the gap in between work gigs was short, I used a visa-exempt entry this time with a plan to get the new Non-O, etc., in Savanakhet after the last overseas job later this year.

But for this current visit on a visa-exempt entry, I am 'technically' a tourist, so is that what I should ask for? Looking at  https://www.immigration.go.th/?p=14714   it says that for an extension for the purpose of tourism, the applicant needs to have a TR visa (no mention of a visa-exempt entry). Scroll down, and there's a qualification for the 'married with family' foreigner (like me) that has no mention of visa (or non-exempt entry, so maybe that's the application I should seek? All the documentation they seek is in place, so no issues expected with either in that regard.

I'm asking in case the gradual squeeze on being on the correct visa has made any difference to getting what should be a routine extension.

Thanks in advance.

21 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

You can get a 60 day ext based on marriage.

Overkill.

He requires 10 days. The 60 to visit wife requires more inconvenience. 

Standard 30 day extension ample 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just go to the Udon Immigration office with the documents/copies Dr Jack54 mentioned and apply for a 30 day extension, the reason is "tourism", you're here free stamp entry as a tourist. The extension is 1900baht 

Many thanks for the replies. The tourist extension makes sense since it's a short extension and I will have a matching travel itinerary, just in case they ask.

Is there any preferred date to apply, since my current permission to stay expires on 22 July? That probably clashes with Asahna Bucha holiday so maybe best I hit them up on 19 July.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is there any preferred date to apply, since my current permission to stay expires on 22 July?

Most folk apply one or two weeks prior to expiry of 30 day stamp.

The 30 day extension is added to expiry of your current stamp.

Be aware some strange offices eg Jomitien, sometimes send you away and tell you come back when closer to expiry.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Most folk apply one or two weeks prior to expiry of 30 day stamp.

The 30 day extension is added to expiry of your current stamp.

Be aware some strange offices eg Jomitien, sometimes send you away and tell you come back when closer to expiry.

Good point, well-made.

I will drop by this week and suss them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do not worry. I did it after the Covid lock was lifted, as there was no short term appointment possible for a visa in my hometown, but we wanted to enter Thailand asap. There is no problem getting that usual 30 extension. Follow Dr.Jack. (yes it is 1900 Baht) Do not worry.