Possible SMS scam, had the same message on different days from different numbers

Millian

Hi,

Had this exact message in English on two different days from different numbers:

"Are you going to the temple to do merit tomorrow? I'll pick you up in my car."

The first time I messaged back asking who it is, and then told them they have the wrong number when they replied they were looking for a different person. 

It didn't seem like a scam, they apologised and that was it. No message asking for anything else. 

Then this morning I get the exact same message from a different number. 

Any one else had something similar, is it some scam?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

It is probably a trawl. Someone looking for a live person on a number to scam later.

I work on the theory that any number that I do not recognise is a scam. I cancel the call.

People using Skype sometimes get upset with me then they send me an email :thumbsup:

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Millian said:

Hi,

Had this exact message in English on two different days from different numbers:

"Are you going to the temple to do merit tomorrow? I'll pick you up in my car."

The first time I messaged back asking who it is, and then told them they have the wrong number when they replied they were looking for a different person. 

It didn't seem like a scam, they apologised and that was it. No message asking for anything else. 

Then this morning I get the exact same message from a different number. 

Any one else had something similar, is it some scam?

Loads of WhatsApp messages by nice looking Chinese girls, hello ...... wrong name ...........  then trying to make conversations and be friends. After a while you get a "WhatsApp" message, your account will be closed because off suspicious behavior, to avoid click on this link.

Link isn't from WhatsApp but a way to hack your account.

If you tell them to F off, after their first message, the messages stop after a while.

If you are bored, you can play the game and they will send pics too. Just never click on the link. 

Edited by FritsSikkink

On 7/9/2024 at 11:37 AM, Millian said:

Are you going to the temple to do merit tomorrow? I'll pick you up in my car 

The only appropriate response is:

No. I can't make it tomorrow. Please go without me.

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Loads of WhatsApp messages by nice looking Chinese girls

9 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

I’ve received dozens of these exact same messages on Line.

Spam on Line and Whatsapp makes sense, because the messages are free - they can send thousands of them at no cost. SMS spam in Thailand is more peculiar, because the messages cost money.

I haven't received the "temple" message, but I did get the one below the other day and was wondering how the scam works: 

Screenshot_2024-07-10-13-34-21-55_0ce57feeccaa51fb7deed04b4dbda235.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I work on the theory that any number that I do not recognise is a scam. I cancel the call.

What if it is a real call from a delivery person? The post office?

I've had the same postwoman for most of the last 6 years. So far she changed her phone number 11 times...

When I first started ordering from Lazada, the deliveries were made by the same person so I saved the number. However, after a while the logistic composites got bigger and busier and now there are so many different delivery people that there's no point saving their numbers. Yes, I know that when one has ordered online one expects a call from an unknown number, but what do you do when someone sends you a registered letter without telling you?

• Like 1

my wife got shoes sent the other day..... we asked the delivery guy if we could open the box..... there was some sports shoes in the box, the type she would never order.  plus she pre pays all her orders.  they wanted 350 baht for the shoes, but it was obviously a  scam.  a bit worrying as they had her name and address

Just block it.  Don't even bother answering.  It's probably some sort of scam.

My messages are silent because I got so much spam form the provider.

I've had WhatsApp messages claiming to be from a recruiter and asking to confirm interest.  I just block them.  There's no point in even humouring them.

• Agree 1

On 7/9/2024 at 2:44 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I keep getting phone calls from Bangkok, in Thai, something about App TikTok when I ask them to repeat they hang up.

That's a scam call.  They are saying you can make money by liking specific TikTok videos to improve their ranking .... then they ask for your bank details.