Thailand ranks 6th best for expats

448939924_975743307674806_7894073921996077095_n-696x395-1.jpg

Thailand ranks 6th best country for expats, according to InterNations‘ annual report, maintaining its position from last year.

The survey, conducted in February, gathered responses from over 12,500 expats and evaluated 53 countries on various indices, including quality of life, ease of settling in, working abroad, personal finance, and essential services like housing, administration, language, and digital life.

Panama took the top spot, with 82% of respondents expressing high satisfaction, mainly due to financial perks, retirement opportunities, and a better quality of life. Mexico and Indonesia followed in second and third places, respectively. Indonesia, which jumped from the 13th position last year, was highly praised for its affordable living costs, friendly locals, and work-life balance.

Spain, Colombia, and Thailand completed the top six, underscoring their appeal to expatriates for various reasons, including lifestyle and financial advantages. Conversely, the bottom 10 countries in the ranking included Kuwait at the very end, followed by Turkey, Finland, Germany, Canada, Norway, Italy, Malta, Ireland, and the UK. Each of these countries faced specific challenges that negatively impacted the expat experience.

Responses highlighted significant satisfaction with Thailand’s quality of life, ease of settling in, and affordability. Many expatriates noted how the welcoming nature of the locals and the vibrant culture made it easier to adapt and thrive. Additionally, the availability of essential services further contributed to the positive expatriate experience in Thailand, the survey revealed.

“Thailand offers a unique blend of modern amenities and rich cultural heritage, making it an attractive destination for expats.”

In Panama, the survey results reflected a strong sense of contentment among expats, with many attributing their satisfaction to the country’s financial benefits and high quality of life. The ease of settling in and the country’s appealing retirement prospects were other significant factors.

“Panama’s financial advantages and the overall improvement in quality of life have made it the preferred destination for many expats.”

Unattractive spots

The lower-ranked countries, such as Kuwait and Turkey, faced criticism for various reasons, including bureaucratic hurdles and challenges in adjusting to the local culture. Finland and Germany, despite their high living standards, were noted for difficulties related to social integration and administrative complexities.

“Living in Finland can be quite challenging for expats due to the social integration barriers and the complex administrative processes.”

Similarly, expats in Germany pointed out issues related to language barriers and bureaucratic procedures, which made settling in more difficult.

Canada and Norway, while known for their high quality of life, were marked down due to the high cost of living and challenges in the housing market. Italy and Malta faced similar criticisms, with additional concerns about local bureaucracy and economic stability.

Ireland and the UK rounded out the bottom ten, with expats expressing dissatisfaction with the high cost of living and the complexities of the housing market. Additionally, the political climate and uncertainties related to administrative processes were highlighted as significant detractors, reported Pattaya News.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Pattaya News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, I am really confused here! Are they No 1, 3, 6, 9, 7, 5 or 12? It´s like a clown bidding every day? Looking forward until tomorrows daily update.

Lottery is coming... Look what they will write next year if all money from foreigners is taxable in Thailand.... And the retirement people are willing to do volunteer jobs, they they are not allowed due workpermits and alcohol between 2 and 5 you only can drink at your home.... Yes once Thailand was teh place to be... but now other countries like Spain and Portugal and Panama are better..

25 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon Thailand comes 1st for having the most moaning expats. 

Absolutely. All can not be positive for them. 😉 

37 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon Thailand has many expats whom do not moan on social media..

forums like Aseannow are not a good litmus test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

So, I am really confused here! Are they No 1, 3, 6, 9, 7, 5 or 12? It´s like a clown bidding every day? Looking forward until tomorrows daily update.

I'm confused because this was from yesterday.

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Wikipedia

Thailand has been ranked as the sixth-best country in the world for expats to live and work, according to the latest Expat Insider report from InterNations, the global community for expatriates.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand ranks 6th best country for expats, according to InterNations‘ annual report, maintaining its position from last year.

Next year after Ex-pats have been taxed that might well change.

1 hour ago, norsurin said:

Ur right.In my country my exwife from Thailand could start working or start her own business the first day her visa was approved.Childbenefits..good pension when she turn old.Free healthcare..free university..etc etc.What have Thailand to offer the spouse?Just asking!!

All of which are paid for with taxes from those working

Nothing is FREE

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

perhaps they moan because they look at it objectively as someone who experiences it or reads about it daily.

I would give Thailand a good ranking simply because I live here and do not know what it is like to live in those other countries. Although, it is easy to see that much needs to be done to make it rank 6 throughout the world. Immigration, skyrocketing prices for cheap quality, police and government corruption, religious scandals and crimes, the hub for call center scammers, unsafe school atmospheres with rogue teachers, new tax laws aimed at foreigners living here, and many other topics surely would reduce that ranking. 

Which leads me to my next point about how stupid these polls are. They contact 12,500 expats in different countries and ask them which is better? or rank different topics based on what they know. But how does the expat know what rank to really give unless he has lived in the other countries as well.. They only base their opinion on their current place of living. So can not judge if another country is better. 

6 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

perhaps they moan because they look at it objectively as someone who experiences it or reads about it daily.

I would give Thailand a good ranking simply because I live here and do not know what it is like to live in those other countries. Although, it is easy to see that much needs to be done to make it rank 6 throughout the world. Immigration, skyrocketing prices for cheap quality, police and government corruption, religious scandals and crimes, the hub for call center scammers, unsafe school atmospheres with rogue teachers, new tax laws aimed at foreigners living here, and many other topics surely would reduce that ranking. 

Which leads me to my next point about how stupid these polls are. They contact 12,500 expats in different countries and ask them which is better? or rank different topics based on what they know. But how does the expat know what rank to really give unless he has lived in the other countries as well.. They only base their opinion on their current place of living. So can not judge if another country is better. 

Mostly I was talking about the petty things like....beans on their toast or egg when having their 99 baht breakfast served. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The survey, conducted in February, gathered responses from over 12,500 expats and evaluated 53 countries on various indices, including quality of life, ease of settling in, working abroad, personal finance, and essential services like housing, administration, language, and digital life.

Panama took the top spot, with 82% of respondents expressing high satisfaction, mainly due to financial perks, retirement opportunities, and a better quality of life. Mexico and Indonesia followed in second and third places, respectively. Indonesia, which jumped from the 13th position last year, was highly praised for its affordable living costs, friendly locals, and work-life balance.

Spain, Colombia, and Thailand completed the top six, underscoring their appeal to expatriates for various reasons, including lifestyle and financial advantages. Conversely, the bottom 10 countries in the ranking included Kuwait at the very end, followed by Turkey, Finland, Germany, Canada, Norway, Italy, Malta, Ireland, and the UK. Each of these countries faced specific challenges that negatively impacted the expat experience.

Responses highlighted significant satisfaction with Thailand’s quality of life, ease of settling in, and affordability. Many expatriates noted how the welcoming nature of the locals and the vibrant culture made it easier to adapt and thrive. Additionally, the availability of essential services further contributed to the positive expatriate experience in Thailand, the survey revealed.

“Thailand offers a unique blend of modern amenities and rich cultural heritage, making it an attractive destination for expats.”

In Panama, the survey results reflected a strong sense of contentment among expats, with many attributing their satisfaction to the country’s financial benefits and high quality of life. The ease of settling in and the country’s appealing retirement prospects were other significant factors.

“Panama’s financial advantages and the overall improvement in quality of life have made it the preferred destination for many expats.”

Unattractive spots

The lower-ranked countries, such as Kuwait and Turkey, faced criticism for various reasons, including bureaucratic hurdles and challenges in adjusting to the local culture. Finland and Germany, despite their high living standards, were noted for difficulties related to social integration and administrative complexities.

“Living in Finland can be quite challenging for expats due to the social integration barriers and the complex administrative processes.”

Similarly, expats in Germany pointed out issues related to language barriers and bureaucratic procedures, which made settling in more difficult.

Canada and Norway, while known for their high quality of life, were marked down due to the high cost of living and challenges in the housing market. Italy and Malta faced similar criticisms, with additional concerns about local bureaucracy and economic stability.

Ireland and the UK rounded out the bottom ten, with expats expressing dissatisfaction with the high cost of living and the complexities of the housing market. Additionally, the political climate and uncertainties related to administrative processes were highlighted as significant detractors, reported Pattaya News.

Another BS survey 😂😂😂

• Agree 1

The taxation of worldwide or income brought to Thailand is going to be a huge feature.

I already know of two people who have already started their 180 day cycle in a year out of Thailand. They have been here for years now their contribution to the economy is much less.

There are no doubt many more expats doing the same thing or even leaving for good.

Me, not enough  income to be concerned about taxation!

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

Yes, I am well aware I can search for answers on the internet but, does anyone already know if Panama, Mexico, Indonesia allow the joining in the national healthcare programs for retirees?

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Unattractive spots

I am Norwegian and I cannot understand why anyone would retire in probably one of the most expensive places on earth! We have mostly people that moves OUT of the country for tax reasons and the very expensive food! I am one of those that is planning to leave due to the price level and "boring" people! Also, the weather is not to my liking..😆..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

This report doesn't even mention Portugal.. Quality survey obviously.

as the article state, the best country to live and work!

Every time an article is about expats living and working, the same discussions appear from retired people who is not working. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Another BS survey 😂😂😂

Yeah, but I happen to agree that UK should be a distant last at the moment.  But hey, Sir Keir is in charge now!  The only way is up.

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

as the article state, the best country to live and work!

Every time an article is about expats living and working, the same discussions appear from retired people who is not working. 

So you think that to work Portugal is worse than Thailand?

6 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

So you think that to work Portugal is worse than Thailand?

Portugal has had their campaign to attract retirees for years, and here is one survey for you 😄

Portugal is the fifth best country in the world to live and work

A survey of 13,000 expatriates places Portugal as the fifth best country in the world to live and work, ahead of neighbors like Spain and Italy. Greece is in the bottom ten.

Portugal is the fifth best country in the world to live and work, according to the Expat Insider, a survey conducted annually by InterNations with 13,000 expatriates from 166 nationalities.

Respondents consider the country as the number one overall, with regard to the "friendly attitude" towards foreigners, a factor that contributes greatly to the fifth place in the world ranking.

Portugal is ahead of neighboring Spain, which "closes" the top ten, led this year by Bahrain. Ahead of Portugal are still Costa Rica, Mexico and Taiwan, which ranked first in last year's ranking.

Already the list of the worst places to live and work includes countries like Brazil, Greece, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

https://www.engelvoelkers.com/en-pt/algarve/lagos/blog/portugal-is-the-fifth-best-country-in-the-world-to-live-and-work/

Edited by Hummin

10 minutes ago, Watawattana said:

Yeah, but I happen to agree that UK should be a distant last at the moment.  But hey, Sir Keir is in charge now!  The only way is up.

The sky is the limit?😂

On 7/10/2024 at 5:57 PM, Hummin said:

Portugal has had their campaign to attract retirees for years, and here is one survey for you 😄

Portugal is the fifth best country in the world to live and work

A survey of 13,000 expatriates places Portugal as the fifth best country in the world to live and work, ahead of neighbors like Spain and Italy. Greece is in the bottom ten.

Portugal is the fifth best country in the world to live and work, according to the Expat Insider, a survey conducted annually by InterNations with 13,000 expatriates from 166 nationalities.

Respondents consider the country as the number one overall, with regard to the "friendly attitude" towards foreigners, a factor that contributes greatly to the fifth place in the world ranking.

Portugal is ahead of neighboring Spain, which "closes" the top ten, led this year by Bahrain. Ahead of Portugal are still Costa Rica, Mexico and Taiwan, which ranked first in last year's ranking.

Already the list of the worst places to live and work includes countries like Brazil, Greece, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

https://www.engelvoelkers.com/en-pt/algarve/lagos/blog/portugal-is-the-fifth-best-country-in-the-world-to-live-and-work/

I've got a few friends who (separately) have retired to Portugal.  They all absolutely love it.  Favourite city is Porto, followed by Algarve for non-city life.

14 minutes ago, Watawattana said:

I've got a few friends who (separately) have retired to Portugal.  They all absolutely love it.  Favourite city is Porto, followed by Algarve for non-city life.

Porto is my favorite European city. A truly beautiful place with lovely people.