From using an agent to self renewal of visa

Last year I extended my visa  & I changed from marriage to retirement & I used an agent because I made an timing error when depositing the 800,000. My question is will I be able to extend my visa myself at cheng wattana for my next renewal or will there be any problems I might encounter?

The real questions @JammG are; 
Did you get the extension issued in Bangkok out at Chaengwattana, or was this one of those "hand your passport to an agent and have it come back with an extension from a province you don't live in" sort of dealys 😮
AND
Did you keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you got the extension granted, then never let the balance go below 400K baht the rest of the year before you brought it back to 800K baht 2 months before you apply for the next extension?

I the above question about the funds because to get a year extension at Chaengwattana based on banked money method you have to get a year detail transaction report print out from your bank. This is a print out broken down by months that show EVERY transaction on the account over the year. <- That's what they look at to make sure you followed the seasoning of the banked money method for the extension you're on now. 

Edited by Tod Daniels

Thanks for the reply, yes it was issued in the province but I renotified about tm30 straight away that I live in Bangkok no problem. And the money has not been touched since I put it in before I applied last time. 

33 minutes ago, JammG said:

My question is will I be able to extend my visa myself at cheng wattana for my next renewal or will there be any problems I might encounter?

For your next extension at CW you have two issues.

First up the financials are checked retrospectively and the bank book will show non compliance.

Also agent arranged extensions would rarely be obtained at CW.

My solution would be to continue with using agent OR exit Thailand just prior to expiry of current permission of stay without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt and obtain new non O using your own funds. 

Granted messy however enables you to start over and ongoing extensions at CW.

Edit: when did the error occur with previous years financials.

Discussed in this thread 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1282005-retirement-extension-switching-from-using-an-agent-experiences/

22 minutes ago, john donson said:

once you use agent, you can't go back, well unless money was in a bank account for 12 months...

Of course. The financial requirements are checked retrospectively.

As I posted earlier...one option is to border bounce without a reentry permit and start over obtaining a new non O from visa exempt entry.

• Agree 1

On 7/10/2024 at 6:45 AM, DrJack54 said:

My solution would be to continue with using agent OR exit Thailand just prior to expiry of current permission of stay without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt and obtain new non O using your own funds.

Entering visa exempt and apply for non-O domestically, your deposit funds need to be shown as transferred from abroad.

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Entering visa exempt and apply for non-O domestically, your deposit funds need to be shown as transferred from abroad.

Not if the funds have been in Thailand for some time.

In the OP,s situation the funds would have been in Thai bank account for a year

• Thanks 1

why cant he go back to a marriage extension. money only has to be in bank 2 months prior, no?

then if he wants he can change back to retirement.

i might have missed something... bad eyes... but op doesnt give any time line when things are due

11 minutes ago, khunPer said:

What is "some time"?

Yes it's vague.

Here is cut/paste from ubonjoe post.

In other threads I have read as little as 5 months.

"Immigration will normally waive the requirement for proof it came from abroad if the 800k baht has been in the bank for a long time already.

They put the transfer from abroad for a non-o visa application since there is no 2 months requirement. That was done to prevent people from borrowing the money or getting it from a friend."

13 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

why cant he go back to a marriage extension.

In another thread marriage issues outlined.

Perhaps a good reason to stick with based on retirement.

Divorce invalidates permission of stay. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes it's vague.

Here is cut/paste from ubonjoe post.

In other threads I have read as little as 5 months.

"Immigration will normally waive the requirement for proof it came from abroad if the 800k baht has been in the bank for a long time already.

They put the transfer from abroad for a non-o visa application since there is no 2 months requirement. That was done to prevent people from borrowing the money or getting it from a friend."

I had the rules downloaded as PDF somewhere, it's one year and never under 800k baht (clause 7 in below screen shot)...

image.png.a7d68a43ee9b93ca6340828ac0b54a8c.png

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In another thread marriage issues outlined.

Perhaps a good reason to stick with based on retirement.

Divorce invalidates permission of stay. 

got it. must have missed something from this guys 1st post. thx for getting back🙏 just trying to help... but i know you got it covered

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I had the rules downloaded as PDF somewhere, it's one year and never under 800k baht (clause 7 in below screen shot)...

That is for a combination of money "in the bank" and income - aka "Combo Method".  Unless he is using income + savings to qualify, that doesn't come into it. 

I have a retirement visa and my wife a dependent visa .We hired a lawyer for the initial visa during covid and then have done it ourselves since.In Chiang Mai it has been a pleasant and easy experience..We speak a bit of Thai and live in a fairly remote part of Chiang mai province so we stay a   night in a hotel and the immigration people have actually sped the process up so we could get home in time to feed the dogs and not drive in the dark .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

That is for a combination of money "in the bank" and income - aka "Combo Method".  Unless he is using income + savings to qualify, that doesn't come into it. 

No, if you read the top of the form, you'll notice (my bold):

"1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist or Transit Visa and want to applies for a change of type of visa (from Tourist Visa or Transit Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa); or

1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters the kingdom of Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in the kingdom with a permit of stay for a period of 30 days, 90 days and want to applies for non-immigrant visa."

For change of entry to non-immigrant type-O you need money as bank deposit, 800k baht when based on retirement, which is what the document is about.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you mean 800k 

Thanks...:jap:, sure – even that I believe I got slim fingers, they seems to be fat on the keyboard (8+5), if I'm not double checking my postings...:whistling: