Has anyone ever tried a mosquito zapper and is it worth buying one

15 hours ago, novacova said:

We have a zapper outside at the front door and another by the patio door. Use a couple of the fan types in the house. All work as expected.

What's the point of putting them outside. They work by attracting the mozzies and then zapping them, you are just inviting all the mozzies in the area to you home and some will get in lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Cheaper to use a racket with a light, plugged in and kept on all day. They work. The other ones just break down quickly. Tried many. 

so you mean plugged in and charging all the time and switched on so it's operative or zapable while hanging  ?  or you mean just the normal charge and use ...  

Edited by steven100

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

"After a few hours, the yeast starts releasing a steady stream of carbon dioxide, which mosquitoes are highly attracted to," says Timothy Wong, technical director of M&M Pest Contro

Have they banned the practice yet?  Climate change and all...

On a more serious note, I use the tennis racket type to kill them indoors, and the mounted bugzappers outdoors for that satisfying Zzzzt sound.  But away from any doors.  They attract a lot more than they kill.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so you mean plugged in and charging all the time and switched on so it's operative or zapable while hanging  ?  or you mean just the normal charge and use ...  

Keep it plugged in. Otherwise it will discharge quickly, if left turned on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, willi2006 said:

I had several of them. They catched mosquitos but only the few which accidentally came close enough.

Later I read about professional devices which are effevtive because they have the smell and temperature of warm-blooded animals. But they cost several hundred dollars.

I bought one of these for the garden, "Mosquito Magnet". It uses bottled lpg to make co2, an attractant, and sucks them in and dehydrates them. The basket would usually have several hundred, emptied weekly. Suddenly, it stopped working: no catch! Then one day I noticed movement in the "works". A lizard had taken up residence in the machine, and was eating all the catch. Who says lizard brains are stupid?

Sadly the machine succumbed to "Thai Rot" and started to fall apart, and much too expensive to repair or replace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

A lizard had taken up residence in the machine, and was eating all the catch. Who says lizard brains are stupid?

I used to pull cooked lizards out of mine in Texas.  They made a sad and awful noise when they got zapped.  Thai lizards must have learned to stay away from the light...

Get a can of mossie killer that has the long, needle-like nozzle. (optional)

Get one of those large, square cookie/biscuit tins, the ones with a round lid.

Take the lid off and make a very small hole in it, just enough for the bug spray nozzle.

Line the open tin with a black bin liner, or any black or very dark material.

Leave it open on the patio, lounge or wherever your mossies congregate.

After an hour, gently place the lid over the opening and squirt some bug killer thru the small hole.

Listen to the mossie death screams.

Otherwise, you can just leave them to die 'naturally'.

mossietrap.png.a7d1ab43c00f980313562ff7ba5427b3.png   mossiekiller.png.a90654c846095f942a44347afbee73e6.png

Edited by NanLaew

Tennis bat ones work if you are a good aim , the ones that you see in shops on the walls I find don't attract mosquito so much but fly's . Best one I found is the ones that have a blue light in them and a fan in the top part that sucks them into the collection part in the bottom of the trap. These are great when you are going to sleep and are the only light in the room , when the lights are on they aren't so effective.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

I'm looking to buy a mozzie zapper but not sure if they actually work to attract and kill mosquitos.    I recently seen a couple of mosquitos in my condo and i want them dead. 

Has anyone ever bought one and if so do they work ...       

Product image โคมไฟฆ่ายุงไฟฟ้าช็อต โฟโตคาตาลีสต์ ใช้ในครัวเรือน อุปกรณ์ไล่ยุง เครื่องดักยุง usb D

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

cat will get zapped ...   haha

I bought two about 4 years ago and NO they do not work, they came from America, so maybe any bought in Thailand will work.

• Haha 1

Mate of mine in Brisbane has a couple of Ozzi Mozzi Guards  ( https://ozzimozzie.com.au/products/ozzi-mozzie ) and swears by them. Apparently it's UV light is tuned to the desired frequency that attracts mozzi's. Have seen the collection tray the day after and looks impressive. Not sure if Thai mozzi's are attracted to the same frequency. However will pick one up when back over next year. In the mean time use the plug in liquid types. Always a satisfying site in the morning when use spot a dead body. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I bought two about 4 years ago and NO they do not work, they came from America, so maybe any bought in Thailand will work.

you bought the wrong ones 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've decided to buy this one ....   2-in-1 use ...      now I'm all set to tackle & destroy any mosquito ...

messageImage_1721209260883_new.jpg.ac495a20beccd95173f0021b81d1aa38.jpg

and 2 x plug in repellants ....   

repellant.jpg.3d716838970b113c01fa6d8f9e2966d0.jpg

Edited by steven100