Bangkok launches major drug prevention initiative with urine tests

webfact

I am constantly reading about random drug checks when the police raid bars and parties. Always those who tested positive for drugs are subsequently charged with crimes. Thailand has laws about this that it is illegal to have drugs in your system. So, pray tell, what is to stop the police from accessing those test results and going after each person who tested positive? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

this is scary:  invoking a right to go after anyone anytime with no viable reason.  This is not forcing tests on all people in a club at 5 am . (I think this is also principally wrong).

You can never stop users (or even selling for that matter).  So this is NOT about helping people.  

This is about opening a door to personal rights violation under the guise of "help".

As for "who" won't  get the tests.  Idk.  

But I know who definitely WILL.  Non asian foreigners.  I got stopped at a checkpoint 2 nights ago.  Helmet on, etc etc.  

However, it was really not a checkpoint...it was a foreigner mouse trap lol. All asians waived thru, helmet no helmet etc.  I was of course quickly whistled in for my test.

This feels more like a power and neck to throat law than anything to help anyone.  I wouldn't even doubt it if the higher ups out there selling the goods to get people nabbed.  (more possible than ever thought in usa now thats for sure)

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Right... Prescribed substance use is legal..
Substance abuse is not

right. You can abuse any similar  drugs their friends profit from. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

12-18 is easy just do it at schoo.

Yes it is but the police should not be doing it to children, it should be medical professionals, with a guardian present at all times. 

• Like 1

They did this in our village two weeks ago. The Wife simply said She was off for a drug urine test. When I asked why She said everyone in the village has to be tested. When I mentioned Human Rights I got the usual Blank Thai stare that translates to "I do not want to talk any more". Anyway, they found 28 positives of varying age groups. There is now a help centre organised with all these people enrolled. I am not confident of a positive outcome, and do not trust the police not to act on the information at a later date.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Somewhat hypocritical from the guy who condones drink driving...   :whistling:

amphetamine use is a huge problem for families, medical staff and society in general.

i don’t condone drink driving universally, although same people are perfecting fine doing it.

But not you Young Richard, anything more than two beers and you are affected.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

As for "who" won't  get the tests.  Idk.  

But I know who definitely WILL.  Non asian foreigners.

Absolute nonsense you have imagined. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

They did this in our village two weeks ago. The Wife simply said She was off for a drug urine test. When I asked why She said everyone in the village has to be tested.

But not you.

being a non Asian foreigner has its perks.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ronster said:

This seems to have ramped up from those caught with drugs or tested positive for drugs being sent to treatment centres.

Doing what they say here will fill these so called centres to the max and I'm wondering who owns them , where they are and who pays for the treatments .

I'm sure someone somewhere is about to get a whole lot richer !

This been Thailand !?, We all think the same. There will always be someone profiting from it !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1