Tell us about the idols of your pre adolescent self

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

George Michael, Freddy Mercury, Rob Hanford, Pet Shop Boys and Boy George.

I was very naive.

Kids normally don't care about the sexual activities of adults.

Would it have made a difference if you would have known?

Tom Jones, "The foundling".

He was my hero.

Also, Squire Western who loved sleeping in the barnyard, in a pile of hay, with the dogs and the pigs.

Squire Western represented almost everything I aspired to when I was 12 yo...

image.png.f7a5a8f86bc75f7a692adf506a649b3b.png

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

George Michael, Freddy Mercury, Rob Hanford, Pet Shop Boys and Boy George.

I was very naive.

And somewhat misinformed , his name is Rob Halford,      Nothing  "naive" about you  picking gay singers as your idols, You are just more perceptive than you give yourself credit for  Some of the above didn't "come out" until late in life so you can obviously spot them. Out of interest   which was your favorite musical ?    

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

South Pacific.

Music by Richard Rodgers, with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein 

Thanks for sharing, but to be honest and without wishing to be offensive   I really  couldn't care less.  The question was aimed specifically at the member I was quoting, and I don't really care what his favorite musical is either, i was more interested in whether he had one or not , the title was unimportant.  I actually hate musicals

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Thanks for sharing, but to be honest and without wishing to be offensive   I really  couldn't care less.  The question was aimed specifically at the member I was quoting, and I don't really care what his favorite musical is either, i was more interested in whether he had one or not , the title was unimportant.  I actually hate musicals

I actually hate musicals, too.

Who does not?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, frank83628 said:

this thread title should be changed to 'geriatrics reminiscing', together with the 'over 75's' thread earlier it shows how many OAP's are here. nothing wrong with that of course, but it does shed a light as to why some comment like they do.

It is kind of surreal sometimes, for those of us not young, but not old.  You have a heated debate with someone, then you see another post from them, and it says "I'm 75", and you think, "Oh". 

The thing with online discussions is, you often think about people as being roughly the same as you, so reality always comes as a bit of a surprise.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Can you believe many of the films he starred in are nowadays accompanied or rather preceded by a warning?

To be fair, a lot of films from this era had very blatant and open racism.  The reason for the warnings is primarily to say "we're showing this in full because we don't think we should change it or hide it, but we don't think the same way as them", which is quite sensible.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

I always liked the characters he played in the old British comedy's  and to me he kind of embodies  the values and attitude of a time when things were  a damn site better all round than they are now.   Can you believe many of the films he starred in are nowadays  accompanied or rather preceded by a warning ?

The one and only 

sid.jpg.9cacd20c2542d8e85d5ccfcc0ee59601.jpg

Was a hair dresser in his native South Africa. Loved him in Hancock’s Half Hour

https://fourble.co.uk/podcast/hancockhalf

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

To be fair, a lot of films from this era had very blatant and open racism.  The reason for the warnings is primarily to say "we're showing this in full because we don't think we should change it or hide it, but we don't think the same way as them", which is quite sensible.

It wasn't racism at the time, and it isn't now as far as I am concerned, a joke is a joke, films like the carry on series poked fun at everybody,  and any character could find themselves  the butt of a trashy seaside postcard type joke, black, white or asian people laughing at themselves, and at each others, idiosyncrasies and character traits, non of which  was intended to be offensive or spitefully derogative and nobody but nobody considered it to be so .    

Jump forward 50 years or so, and there is this very small, yet very annoyingly vocal, group of people who have either lost or more likely never had any sense of humour, and have embarked on a crusade to find racism and hatred where it never existed, and to compete with each other as to who can take the most offence. These people must endure a horrifically miserable existence, completely devoid of fun, humour, and indeed common sense.

The advisory warnings , somewhat laughably, are not aimed at or for the benefit of our genteel elderly people, there is no need for that , our pensioners are made of much sterner stuff.   They are intended for the new generation 20+ somethings , a pathetic bunch who can be reduced to tears or provoked to extreme violence merely by being addressed by the wrong pronoun or by hearing that somebody else has suffered the same, "abuse"     I stand by what  I said, things were just better all round in those days  If time travel was possible I would happily go back,  even if I had to remain at my current chronological age,  

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Sad 1