Thai Travel Agency Alleges Police Extortion of Chinese Tourists - video

snoop1130

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I find that perplexing. Are Chinese people so in fear of police, or were they really up to something?

What are the police like in China? A communist totalitarian state. And you ask if Chinese are in fear of the police. Duh.

did this happen after the toll booth?

something similar happened to us near one of the big bridges in bangkok, and i read it happened to many others at that same place.  car stops at booth, pays their toll fee, gets clocked by someone and then pursued.....

3 hours ago, Johno57 said:

I think it very easy for the police to investigate this matter, so an international incident is not caused, as they have video footage, the car rego. number etc, but they have this theory of not proceeding with investigation because of no official complaint, which is just making the situation worse and puts discredit on the police for no action taken...

"they have this theory........" lol. Its not a thoery? It's the law. An official complaint must be made if someone wants the police to be involved and launch an investigation...they are Public Servants and have to account for their time when on duty. I think people using social media instead of going through the correct channels should invoke a hard slap across the face and an explanation of the correct procedure. Social media is getting far too influential for my liking - it has it's good points but when the majority of it's users are ognorant and/or verging on being brain-dead it's a dangerous tool. People use it to circumvent the law, the media do it too.  

Report the incident and let the police do their job. Not reporting it and then looking for justice on social media though..........really? 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Well it was obviously a Thai driver hearing him talk to the 'cops' and a Thai tour guide.

And they both seem complicit in handing over the 700k, without question and I presume without a receipt , Thais would know this is not proper procedure.

One can also presume each Chinese tourist got fined separately. Did the Tour guide not even ask what the fine was for ???? All sounds like an inside job to me, the real cops, should question them both. why would you just put it on FB ? 

Yeah it appears they may be in on the scam. How would any real police know what bus or van to stop or even have a reason to stop them except to be able to pull off a scam like this. They only target tourist as they know they arent gonna stick around to go to court or probably even press charges. They certainly have the vehicle tag numbers and video of the "cops". No cops pull over people using just a glow stick waving out the window. They took photos of id's and passports as a way to intimidate the tourist. 

• Agree 1

Well it was obviously a Thai driver hearing him talk to the 'cops' and a Thai tour guide.

And they both seem complicit in handing over the 700k, without question and I presume without a receipt , Thais would know this is not proper procedure.

One can also presume each Chinese tourist got fined separately. Did the Tour guide not even ask what the fine was for ???? All sounds like an inside job to me, the real cops, should question them both. why would you just put it on FB ? 

Yeah it appears they may be in on the scam. How would any real police know what bus or van to stop or even have a reason to stop them except to be able to pull off a scam like this. They only target tourist as they know they arent gonna stick around to go to court or probably even press charges. They certainly have the vehicle tag numbers and video of the "cops". No cops pull over people using just a glow stick waving out the window. They took photos of id's and passports as a way to intimidate the tourist. 

• Agree 1

Edited by Dan O
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ironmike said:

Something smells like Bul+<deleted> to me maybe Chinese criminals up to no good and why were they carry so much money????? Maybe in China they fear the police but there not in china

Traditional chinese do not trust anyone and usually carry their net worth with them, for what is not inside the bank. This is often A LOT.

5 hours ago, Johno57 said:

very easy for the police to investigate this matter, so an international incident is not caused, as they have video footage, the car rego. number etc

There appears to be video of only a request for passports/visas. 

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Both the representative and the tourists questioned the authenticity of the supposed officers

This isn't good  that one can't even know if the cops are real or not ,

Or that it makes no difference they are All Bend.

20 hours ago, gargamon said:

Of course they are. All those autocracies are the same. The police are thugs that must be feared.

Your future soon.  Enjoy.

Thai police may well be corrupt but I don't feel in fear of them. 

19 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

What are the police like in China? A communist totalitarian state. And you ask if Chinese are in fear of the police. Duh.

I have not been there for a couple of decades, so I asked the question. I was more in fear of USA police as many seem to be bullies......duh!