Traveling from Thailand to the UK on a cargo ship.

1 minute ago, TheFishman1 said:

Yeah, probably BOB say within a week that he booked the place on this cargo ship and they left and then three days later through some miracle who was able to come back because he got seasick TIT

You mean TIB

• Haha 1

Courtesy of AI......

Yes, it is possible to travel from Thailand to the UK by cargo ship. This type of travel, known as "freighter travel" or "cargo ship travel," is an unconventional but available option for those looking for a unique experience. 

**Examples of Companies Offering Freighter Travel:**

1. **CMA CGM** - They offer passenger services on some of their cargo ships. You can book a journey from ports in Thailand (like Laem Chabang) to various European ports, including those in the UK.

2. **Grimaldi Lines** - Known for their passenger service on cargo ships, they offer routes that connect Europe with Asia, which may include stops in the UK.

3. **Hamburg Süd** - They also offer limited passenger services on their cargo ships, which might include routes from Southeast Asia to Europe.

**What to Expect:**

- **Duration**: The journey can take several weeks, depending on the route and stops along the way.
- **Accommodation**: Typically basic but comfortable. You might get a cabin similar to those on a small cruise ship.
- **Facilities**: Limited amenities compared to a cruise ship. You might have access to common areas, a dining area, and sometimes a small gym or pool.
- **Cost**: Prices vary widely but can range from about $100 to $150 per day, including meals.

**Booking a Trip:**

- Research companies that offer freighter travel and check their specific routes and availability.
- Contact the company directly or through specialized travel agencies that book freighter travel.
- Be prepared for flexibility in your schedule, as cargo ships may face delays or changes in itinerary.

Freighter travel offers a unique way to see the world, but it requires a sense of adventure and patience for the slower pace of travel.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Prices vary widely but can range from about $100 to $150 per day, including meals.

That's a lot of money to look at the sea for weeks. They generally try to avoid land, unless it's for business. I would only do it if I had a companion.

28 minutes ago, bob smith said:

money is no object.

I just want a bit of adventure.

thanks for the post, I think I know what to do now.

bob.

"I just want a bit of adventure."

Build a boat out of old coke ,pepsi bottles ,Launch it from Phuket ,head for first

stop Sri Lanka , few days there then head for the Red Sea ,don't worry the pirates

won't bother YOU , head for Port Said , there's a place there that does a wonderful

Wiener Schnitzel ,then out into the Med, I would recommend docking in Italy and

hitching lifts back to the UK , as the weather in the Bay of Biscay can get very rough,

get on one of those rubber dinghies over to UK , where you will be welcomed back

home to Blighty , then on to Scunthorpe or where ever you live , now that's an adventure.....   

regards Worgeordie ,   P.S. take a cat for company , you can catch fish for it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

"I just want a bit of adventure."

Build a boat out of old coke ,pepsi bottles ,Launch it from Phuket ,head for first

stop Sri Lanka , few days there then head for the Red Sea ,don't worry the pirates

won't bother YOU , head for Port Said , there's a place there that does a wonderful

Wiener Schnitzel ,then out into the Med, I would recommend docking in Italy and

hitching lifts back to the UK , as the weather in the Bay of Biscay can get very rough,

get on one of those rubber dinghies over to UK , where you will be welcomed back

home to Blighty , then on to Scunthorpe or where ever you live , now that's an adventure.....   

regards Worgeordie ,   P.S. take a cat for company , you can catch fish for it.

That is just silly!

regards,

bob.

Just now, bob smith said:

That is just silly!

regards,

bob.

No it's an adventure ....I am sure you could manage it , you might have to fill

a few of the coke bottles up with your favourite beer , as I don't think you

could make the trip without a few bevvies ....go for it Bob ,

regards Worgeordie

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

No it's an adventure ....I am sure you could manage it , you might have to fill

a few of the coke bottles up with your favourite beer , as I don't think you

could make the trip without a few bevvies ....go for it Bob ,

regards Worgeordie

nah.

I’m not going for it.

regards,

bob.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Courtesy of AI......

Yes, it is possible to travel from Thailand to the UK by cargo ship. This type of travel, known as "freighter travel" or "cargo ship travel," is an unconventional but available option for those looking for a unique experience. 

**Examples of Companies Offering Freighter Travel:**

1. **CMA CGM** - They offer passenger services on some of their cargo ships. You can book a journey from ports in Thailand (like Laem Chabang) to various European ports, including those in the UK.

2. **Grimaldi Lines** - Known for their passenger service on cargo ships, they offer routes that connect Europe with Asia, which may include stops in the UK.

3. **Hamburg Süd** - They also offer limited passenger services on their cargo ships, which might include routes from Southeast Asia to Europe.

**What to Expect:**

- **Duration**: The journey can take several weeks, depending on the route and stops along the way.
- **Accommodation**: Typically basic but comfortable. You might get a cabin similar to those on a small cruise ship.
- **Facilities**: Limited amenities compared to a cruise ship. You might have access to common areas, a dining area, and sometimes a small gym or pool.
- **Cost**: Prices vary widely but can range from about $100 to $150 per day, including meals.

**Booking a Trip:**

- Research companies that offer freighter travel and check their specific routes and availability.
- Contact the company directly or through specialized travel agencies that book freighter travel.
- Be prepared for flexibility in your schedule, as cargo ships may face delays or changes in itinerary.

Freighter travel offers a unique way to see the world, but it requires a sense of adventure and patience for the slower pace of travel.

5.jpg.webp

It was common after WW2 up until 'Container ships' changed things. I was able to do it on Norwegian ships back in the 60's I did it through Whil Whilhelmson a very big family owned company.I would check out the Norwegian Embassy or possibly for a work your passage job try the shipping companies in BK also Dutch and German companies. They only take a maximun of 12 people otherwise they must employ a Dr.to the ship, I worked my passage back to Australia in 1965 from Gotherburg (Sweden) to Melbourne loved every minute of it,Suez canal,I went through twice before the war it was facinating and went swimming half way along in the 'Great lake' waiting for the back of the convoy to catch up. In hindsight I think the Norwegians would be your best bet.

Why not fly to France and do the last bit by inflatable ship? You will have plenty of shipmates to talk to and on arrival in the UK you get a free hotel room to rest up in!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

I fancy a bit of an adventure and would like to do this next year.

any idea how to get the ball rolling?

is it easy to organize?

I don't really care where the boat departs from/lands as long as it's Thailand - UK. 

I just want an adventure.

any advice appreciated.

thanks.

bob.

I took the train from UK to Thailand 

Was a great fun!

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Traveling from Thailand to the UK on a cargo ship."

Great idea. You should do that.

pirate2.jpg

Is that Bob ducking down in the stern?

• Like 1

Bob set sail on a sturdy ship, From Thailand's shores on a daring trip.
A cargo crew, both fierce and gay, Their passion bright as the light of day.

Captain Thai, with a smile so sly, Led the crew under the starlit sky.
Their nights alive with touch and kiss, In secret corners, they found bliss.

Bob, at first, a bit unsure,
Found his desires start to stir.
In the embrace of a sailor's arm, He felt the heat, the urgent charm.

Bodies tangled in moonlight's glow, Whispers soft, desires slow.
In cabins close, with breath so sweet, Where flesh and fervor gladly meet.

Days of toil, and nights of lust, In every touch, a sacred trust.
Bob's hands roamed on sun-kissed skin, In the dance of love, they'd all begin.

With every wave, the ship did rock, To the rhythm of their fervent lock.
Moans and laughter filled the air, In the ship's embrace, they didn't care.

Through storms they sailed, their bond so tight,
In love's embrace through day and night.
As England's shores came into view, Bob knew his heart, and desires too.

On that ship, so bold and free, Bob found love in its raw decree.
For amidst the sea, and stars above, He tasted freedom, and boundless love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, bob smith said:

is it easy to organize?

I don't really care where the boat departs from/lands as long as it's Thailand - UK. 

any advice appreciated.

thanks.

bob.

Used to be very easy from Singapore or Malaysia to UK or European ports but they stopped taking passengers during covid and I don't think have started again.

Try The Cruise People London or Google freighter travel.

21 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Ok, who is up for a GoFundMe for A one way ticket for Bob on a nuclear waste transporter.

i am in for 1000 THB.

Nah no need for a Go fund Me. Khun Bob will do that just for Fun for sure.  😇

On 7/15/2024 at 4:36 PM, bob smith said:

is it easy to organize?

any advice appreciated.

thanks.

bob.

Oh Bob, an adventure from Thailand to the UK by boat? How splendidly audacious! You must have been inspired by those old-timey explorers who thought maps were optional and the world was flat.

To get the ball rolling, you could start by striding confidently into the nearest port, waving a flag, and declaring your intent to sail across the globe. I’m sure seasoned sailors will be lining up to join your bold expedition.

Is it easy to organize? Absolutely. Just as easy as herding cats or nailing jelly to a wall. You’ll need a boat, of course, preferably one that floats and has more than a vague notion of where the UK is. Minor details like navigation, fuel, supplies, and avoiding pirate-infested waters will sort themselves out, surely.

Don’t care where the boat departs from or lands? Excellent. Just close your eyes and point at a map – that's the spirit of true adventure. Ports around the world are well-known for their flexibility and willingness to accommodate spontaneous, unplanned voyages.

Advice? Oh, where to start? Bring a parrot – every great adventurer needs one. Stock up on hardtack and grog, because nothing says adventure like eating food that predates refrigeration. And a compass might be useful, unless you’re planning to navigate by the stars, in which case, a telescope might be handy too.

Best of luck, Bob! I’m sure your tales of navigating the high seas, dodging sea monsters, and possibly discovering new continents will be the stuff of legends. The world awaits your nautical exploits!

Bob,

When I moved to Thailand, I didn’t just want to board a plane in the UK and land in BKK.

I therefore planned to sail here with starclippers.com, from Athens to Phuket on a ship called Star Clipper. The 38-day voyage was absolutely memorable and I would love to do the return, repositioning voyage if and when I return to Blighty. There is a new brochure available on their website and if you have any questions, just PM me. 👍