!!

Wise payment not working

Anybody had any recent issues with Wise?
I have used my Wise physical card details as my saved card for Grab app.

Ive never had any issue in the past but tried to order some food over the last few days and it failed a few times. 

Haven't used the app for close to two months before this. I have ordered food from the same restaurant before and no issues.

Ive been in touch with Wise and they say I need to order a new card as they have updated their policy.

I told them my card doesn't expire until 2026 and im not going paying for a new card that they should provide me one.
They insisted this was what I have to do if I want a physical card that will work. They say its something to do with 3DS, whatever that is.

Some sort of extra tracking and identification it seems.

This is from the wise website.

--------

You can use your Wise card to make online payments. For some online payments, you’ll be asked to approve the payment from your Wise app, or using a code sent by SMS or call. This is called a 3D Secure (3DS) online payment and is an added level of security some websites ask for. Once you approve, your payment will go through as normal.

Some websites only accept locally issued cards. So if your online payment gets declined, that might be why.

2 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Anybody had any recent issues with Wise?
I have used my Wise physical card details as my saved card for Grab app.

Ive never had any issue in the past but tried to order some food over the last few days and it failed a few times. 

Haven't used the app for close to two months before this. I have ordered food from the same restaurant before and no issues.

Ive been in touch with Wise and they say I need to order a new card as they have updated their policy.

I told them my card doesn't expire until 2026 and im not going paying for a new card that they should provide me one.
They insisted this was what I have to do if I want a physical card that will work. They say its something to do with 3DS, whatever that is.

Some sort of extra tracking and identification it seems.

Free for a digital card i read yesterday, ok for online purchases

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 12:33 AM, Banana7 said:

This is from the wise website.

--------

You can use your Wise card to make online payments. For some online payments, you’ll be asked to approve the payment from your Wise app, or using a code sent by SMS or call. This is called a 3D Secure (3DS) online payment and is an added level of security some websites ask for. Once you approve, your payment will go through as normal.

Some websites only accept locally issued cards. So if your online payment gets declined, that might be why.

Further to that if only a locally issued card is now a requirement then their will be a problem because “Our cards aren't available in Thailand” from the wise app you will get this message. Thailand has recently been imposing more and stricter rules to reduce fraud, so far my U.K. issued card has had no problems, however the added security of 3DS is quite often invoked

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Further to that if only a locally issued card is now a requirement then their will be a problem because “Our cards aren't available in Thailand” from the wise app you will get this message. Thailand has recently been imposing more and stricter rules to reduce fraud, so far my U.K. issued card has had no problems, however the added security of 3DS is quite often invoked

I get the impression that all these "security/fraud prevention" measures are more about tracking transactions than protecting customers from fraud. Just makes me want to diversify my accounts. Then you cover all bases but for Wise it means I'll be using Wise less than in the past. 

Edited by Startmeup

51 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

I get the impression that all these "security/fraud prevention" measures are more about tracking transactions than protecting customers from fraud.

I really fail to understand how requirements for virtually all banks (SCB is an exception) to require a biometric identification (face) for all transactions (outside your own accounts) over ฿50,000 makes any difference to tracking and how they do not make fraudulent transactions more difficult.

so I am really interested in your reasoning, I would say logic but can see nothing logical in your statements, if there is any logic please give an example.

However diversifying your accounts can be a useful tactic and is one I personally use.

Edited by sometimewoodworker