4 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Dtv just approved with start date of today.

Do I have to use it within 3 months or is it valid from today and can be used on a few months time?

I think it's valid for 5 years. 

Never heard of a "use  by" date, like an activation date.

I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

So 1900b for a 180 day extension according to the deputy director for consular affairs.  He did say you need to show your documents proving digital nomad status again, but didn't mention anything about the other categories like cooking classes or boxing or hospital appointments or a bank statement.  Kind of sounds to me like you might need to prove all that stuff is still going on to extend, so probably better off to just leave and come back instead.

I know right?

That is exactly what I thought too. Especially since the one year clock resets on each entry. I mean yes probably cheaper to pay the 1900 than leave & return but to completely miss the IM visit is worth something

The one thing they didn't mention that I was curious about is 90 day reports then? Likely not needed I guess? But would have been nice to hear it from the official

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 3:00 PM, LivinLOS said:

Actually theres some room for debate here.. In the minutes of the cabinet (IIRC I have read so many docs now) meeting theres the wording that 500k 'throughout the stay'.. but of course translation, interpretation etc. 

I can easily imagine 500k being needed to extend at 180 days being part of it. 

The way Thai immigration laws read (in the benefits package of the BOI LTR) it says that requirements/qualifications for issuance of ANY visa must remain valid throughout the entire time limit of the visa.  Just saying, though just like the LTR no one is going to be checking it as one could go out of the country at any time and just check in at any immigration office for stamping in. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mania said:

Likely not needed I guess?

Why would anyone guess that? This guy is from the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs that issues the DTVs. The 90 day reports are a requirement by Immigration and should apply to any foreigner staying more than 90 days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/22/2024 at 5:40 PM, Rob Browder said:

The "what the neighbor said" is the crux of the issue. If someone gets drunk and walks home - no problem with "public drunkenness" laws - but make an a** of yourself while drunk, and you might have a police-problem.  Same thing here.

If there is enforcement only when the person in question is making some sort of 2ndary problem, and blabbing about what they do, then the solution is not to be a problem to others, and hand them the rope to hang you as a bonus. 

Whether working online or not, it is important to remember one is a guest in other people's country, and behave accordingly.

Also factor in - the new tax rules turn this into a net-benefit to Thailand, so even less reason to bother people about it.

Yes, Thailand's financial picture is not pretty at this time for sure, the TRD and Immigration and others are being told to find tax moneies somehow, especially on foreigners as they are easy to control targets.  Therefore, at least during these first couple of months/first year of the new interpretation of the laws, the Thai workers will most likely be told to be STRICT in the following of the tax laws.  Best to be safe instead of an example of what could follow.  MY opinion only of course but I feel protected by the current interpretations being presented.

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, Lorry said:

I think it's valid for 5 years. 

Never heard of a "use  by" date, like an activation date.

I could be wrong.

Some Visas (e.g. Tourist / Non-IMM O) have an "Enter Before" date which means you need to enter on the Visa (or Use by) this date... 

non-o-1024x575.jpg 

From pics posted of the DTV eVisa, there is no such limitation so presumably you could make your 1st entry just before the 5 years was up.

Waking up in the UK and just saw the YT vid and came here to check it was already posted.. 

The multiple 180 cleared up (was obvious to anyone who read the Royal gazette is makes it very clear in art 3 4 and 5 repeating multiple entries and even 'infinite times use' depending on translation. 

The extension fee of 1900 baht, tho he did semi defer that to immigration it seems totaly unlikley that its 10k now as it sint in the royal gazette either, it IS listed in the minutes of the cabinet meeting but that was at the concept stage. 

He should have taken 5 minutes to emphasize the working rights, which are clearly stated in the gazette nd differentiate it from others with that. 

Basically it is all wins. 

• Agree 1

On 7/18/2024 at 8:17 AM, anrcaccount said:

Agree LivingLOS, it is quite simple. 

Unlimited entries in a 5 year period. Each entry, 180 days stay,( unless you reach the end of the 5 years e.g. enter 30 days before the end of the 5 years, stay permission stamp only valid 30 days until end of the visa)

Each stay can be extended at local immigration(if required), for an additional 180 days. After 360 days consecutively, you would have to leave and re enter. However if you left after say 150 days, on re entry you get 180 days.  

Cost of extension will be 1900 as per every other extension, but has been reported at 10000, I believe this will prove to be incorrect. BKK Immigration stated extensions at 1900. 

Tax is a separate discussion, which should be had on separate threads. 

Nailed it.. Back while it was still guesswork... Well done 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, wmlc said:

There is no one year reset of any clock of you never extend inside Thailand. You can simply leave at the end of each 180 day stay and then re enter to get another 180 days. You can do this for the entire 5 years without ever needing to extend the visa inside Thailand. The one year is only related to extensions meaning one extension only for every entry. 

This also has a knock on implication, which is tax related. 

If extensions are the point where revenue tries to link expats to inbound funds, possibly demanding a TTN, or even proof of returns etc.. Then by just border hopping and clock resetting of 180, you avoid all immigration interaction. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mania said:

The one thing they didn't mention that I was curious about is 90 day reports then? Likely not needed I guess? But would have been nice to hear it from the official

90 day reports are needed, but if you dont extend who and when will they police them ?? 

Same with TM30s tho with the new rules on TM30s being 'once per visa' and not to be redone after a hotel stay you can do one TM30 at the first day of entry and have that be valid for 5 years you remain at one address. 

On 7/17/2024 at 11:31 PM, LivinLOS said:

DTV issued from the London embassy already.. No contract of employment, just uploaded a letter explaining I own a company and my last years tax return for evidence.

LOS.... just to clarify...

1. Was your application to the London embassy done via their E-visa route or in-person?

2. If it was done via the E-Visa route, could you have completed that process while physically being in Thailand, or was there anything that would have physically required you to be there in London?

Thanks! (I've never done an E-Visa app, so not clear on the particulars....)

One more embassy with made-up requirements: Delhi.

KL wants a long-term rental (which the  target group normally won't have).

Delhi is not clear about what kind of accommodation.

People who posted "the Indians are coming!" may be happy. 

Screenshot_20240729-003806_Xodo.jpg

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

One more embassy with made-up requirements: Delhi.

KL wants a long-term rental (which the  target group normally won't have).

Delhi is not clear about what kind of accommodation.

People who posted "the Indians are coming!" may be happy.

I am curious what a "sponsorship letter," in lieu of the 500K Baht, would be.  I get the general idea, but ... the sponsor shows a bank account with 500K in it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 5:49 PM, LivinLOS said:

If you are saying it is a poorly enforced law.. Fully agreed. I have never stated otherwise.

It is the claim that it is not illegal, or that no one has ever been punished for it, that I am saying is factually wrong.

It IS illegal, as is evidenced by the people arrested and deportated, by the my mate nate saga and clarifications, by MANY statements fromt he labour dept and immigration, by the chinese vlogger etc. It is precisely due to it being illegal that people 'need to be descrete about it' etc. If it was legal why is there any need to hide it ? 

Yes, laws in Thailand are frequently pooly enforced, theres no prostitutes in pattaya and all nightlife closes at midnight.. That fact doesnt change the law. 

The Chinese vlogger defamed Thailand in one of her YouTube videos. She also sold jewelry online and hence that was the easiest way of getting rid of her. I don't know if she sold the jewelry to Chinese living in Thailand or only to those in China but this activity clearly goes beyond what a digital nomad is supposed to do as she was physically involved in carrying out tangible activities that would be considered work (such as mailing items to clients) and accepting payment for them.

VERY different to someone working from their bedroom or home office on a desktop or laptop, writing emails and holding Zoom meetings for a foreign company, not otherwise getting into trouble with Thai law and obviously NOT engaging in illegal activities such as operating an online gambling operation.

• Agree 2

On 7/28/2024 at 9:01 PM, Rob Browder said:

I am curious what a "sponsorship letter," in lieu of the 500K Baht, would be.  I get the general idea, but ... the sponsor shows a bank account with 500K in it?

It is most likely for employees of a company where they get paid monthly salary and have a one year contract. If the company agrees to sponsor the employee and says he earns 4000 USD per month, and the contract is for one year, presumably that will be another way to satisfy the  "financial evidence" requirement.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 3:03 PM, wmlc said:

Only for the highly skilled professional category. The OP falls under the work from Thailand professional category and can't get a digital work permit for that category. End of story. Go debate with someone else on the Thaigher forum. Under you twisted logic the wealthy pensioner category of the LTR visa category can also get a work permit.  Dead wrong! 

BOI specifically said I could get a work permit - they would assist - wealthy pensioner LTR holder.  funny how all the folks that don't even have a particular visa want all to think that they are the experts for that particular visa.  Have a good day.