60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

21 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Because 1 person got it from 1 particular immigration officer?

Show the link to the law.

Well as I said before, a link to the law is  one thing and will no doubt exist somewhere , but a link to  an official  announcement as to how the law might be applied , especially regarding repeated entries , along with any unofficial guidelines about  limits is unlikely to ever surface it will remain "up to them"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Despite having a retirement visa I alway thought the limit of two land crossings was ridiculous.   

It provided plenty of work for drivers and agents alike. 

I think the retarded idea started when that hyperbole character "Big Joke" started one of his early stints in immigration.

Somewhat off topic but has anybody else noticed the huge reduction in crazy, methed up, psychopathic, minibus drivers nowadays .  I think it reached its maniacal peak a few years before covid ,  Tailgating and undertaking was taken to a whole new level ,and I guess visa runs made up a large percentage of the offenders    but not so much of it  about anymore   What happened ?

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

That requirement for online visa applications is a real pain, having to show a return flight within 60 or even 90 days even when extensions are available and one intends staying longer invariably involves changing flights which can be quite costly    I try to mitigate such costs by purchasing a std outbound ticket and a flexible return ticket , but some / most  airlines will happily sell you the more expensive flexible ticket , but a check of the terms and conditions will often reveal a well hidden clause that the restrictions attached to the most restrictive ticket will apply to the entire booking  Qatar and Emirates passengers take note !             Last time I checked Etihad were the only airline not operating the scam  

I've never been asked by an airline to show proof of a visa or an onward flight but i was once asked if I had visa no need to show it  

I have never seen a requirement for the return flight, qualifying for a Tourist Visa, to be 60 or 90 days after the entry.

It has been said many times on this forum that it is not a requirement for the return flight to match the duration of the initial stay when applying for a Tourist Visa.

My standard stay is 6 months and I have only ever shown a return flight 6 months after my initial arrival.

I maintain the stay by an extension and getting a 2nd TV in Laos then another extension or a VE + extension and then another VE.

You have been wasting you energy/money by getting flexible tickets/changing flights.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, MikeUdon said:

Simplifying the process for these individuals would not only recognize their significant contributions to the community

Trust me, yours and the other married expats contribution is minuscule in the scale of things.

6 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

At the end I just overstayed on year per year basis because nobody cared anyway.

Those were the good old days.  Overstay for 2 or 3 or 10 years, pay your $600 fine when you leave and come back a week later.

I never did that myself, but I lost some friends when that loophole slammed shut.

Edited by impulse

13 hours ago, itsari said:

5700 baht for a multi entry which includes  the 12 month extension.

Border crossings into Thaiand cost nothing .

1,900 for the annual visa

2,000 for a multi entry permit

• Confused 1

Works for me. I was going to come in in September via air, but now Ill do a land one through Poipet and ask the Immigration Officer. $20 trip to Bangkok, ha, $10 to the border and $10 on the train. 

Life is good.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Well I live about 10 minutes from a relatively quiet land border crossing 15 minutes in and out would be about normal and that would get me 60 days, I also live about 5 minutes from one of two  local immigration offices which is also never busy so a 30 day extension is no problem at all, then back again to get 60 more days to visit the Mrs  150 days would be  possible with careful timing, and  around 2 -3 hours spent  every 5 months would  not be  particularly onerous as far as I am concerned.  Along with  no money in the bank to worry about either, or indeed any 90 day reports or home visits, consideration periods, mountains of paperwork with endless signatures ,  etc etc  To be honest it sounds a bit too good to be true so it probably is

It might be troublesome for those who need a residence certificate for any reason or for  those who crave a pink id card and yellow book, I really don't know  

People will complain about anything on this forum but I am always amazed that many  people don't consider things like the location of the nearest immigration office or border crossing when planning  where to live, especially considering the monumental impact it seems to have on some peoples lives.  To be honest I didn't give the matter any thought  either,  I just dropped lucky 

I agree and I too live near a slow boarder crossing and very slow immigration office.  We may be practically neighbors.  My immigration is also located next to a nice lake where I can relax and grab a nice meal.  Still a hassle IMO compared to an easy non-o for me that allows me to not worry about visa for a year. 

I crossed the boarder every month in the late 1990s for years and it was a 10 hour trip.  It wasn't a concern then but it would be hard to go back to that type of visa.  At 57 my life isn't as carefree as I was at 31 but a 60 day visa run might add a good dose of excitement to it so it might not be all bad.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JesusonaPogoStick said:

FWIW- just did the Chiang Khong crossing and 60 day stamped. Told Laos Imm. that I was just doing a turn-around, so there was no paperwork/photos needed (always good to be over prepared)-2k baht(believe it can be cheaper w/agent). BTW, if you have never been to Chiang Khong, it's worth staying for a day or two. Easy bounce.

I Luv CK.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Despite having a retirement visa I alway thought the limit of two land crossings was ridiculous.   

It provided plenty of work for drivers and agents alike. 

I think the retarded idea started when that hyperbole character "Big Joke" started one of his early stints in immigration.

There's some evidence it was Prawit being behind all this, despite the fact he was not interior Minister (although a crony was). BJ is regarded as being his boy.

1 hour ago, SouthThailand said:

It would be really funny when Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia would limit their land border entries to 2 entries only per calendar year.

why would they? $$$$ for each entry

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

1900b for annual extension 

3800b multi reentry permit 

2000b for non O application 

The last three years for renewal of my retirement extension I only paid the 1,900 and the 3,800 for the reentry permits, I dont recall the other 2,000B charge.  

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, transam said:

Weeeell, being allowed in multiple times by plane and not land borders does seem a bit daft...🤗

Seems absolutely counterintuitive. People with money fly and brokies go overland. My guess is this will change come November.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1