Livestock Protection. Thai Law.

Does anyone know what the law says in Thailand regarding your rights to protect your livestock from predatory animals?

Basically, if you have chickens for example and they are being slaughtered by local dogs roaming on your land - are you within your rights to kill the dogs? (humanely - not like the locals do up my neck of the woods where they put down some sort of poison derived from land / rice / mud crabs, that kills the dog in a terrible way - agonising slow death that the vets can do nothing to prevent)

I am talking about a quick despatch with a bullet.

Thanks.

Edited by Formaleins

12 hours ago, Formaleins said:

if you have chickens for example and they are being slaughtered by local dogs roaming on your land - are you within your rights to kill the dogs?

Ever thought about a fence ?

Killing dogs is not good .

You will get bad Karma , and you would deserve it .

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Ever thought about a fence ?

Killing dogs is not good .

You will get bad Karma , and you would deserve it .

Your nickname is wrong, presumably you are a dog-friend.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Does anyone know what the law says in Thailand regarding your rights to protect your livestock from predatory animals?

Basically, if you have chickens for example and they are being slaughtered by local dogs roaming on your land - are you within your rights to kill the dogs? (humanely - not like the locals do up my neck of the woods where they put down some sort of poison derived from land / rice / mud crabs, that kills the dog in a terrible way - agonising slow death that the vets can do nothing to prevent)

Thanks.

There isn't anything you can do because dogs will always be around. When a puppy turns into a dog here, it's cuteness goes away and they are looked at as pests. Some take care of their animals and should be commended, but it's few and far between. I've had a few dogs and more that looked at my house as home, but most of them have been poisoned by these farmers because they don't like them running through their fields. Like everything else that involves being neighborly, no one really cares. I have had cats, , chickens and ducks killed by dogs that are nice to people because they weren't taught as puppies to be friendly to other animals, like some obviously are as you can see on some properties. It's impossible to watch your animals all the time, so it's going to happen that they are victims. If you had a gun you could shoot the dogs, which isn't something dog lovers like myself would do, but more would eventually come back, as roaming dogs is a countrywide problem. The lack of caring and funding here, which does spay and neuter many, can't catch up to the amount of births happening.

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

There isn't anything you can do because dogs will always be around. When a puppy turns into a dog here, it's cuteness goes away and they are looked at as pests. Some take care of their animals and should be commended, but it's few and far between. I've had a few dogs and more that looked at my house as home, but most of them have been poisoned by these farmers because they don't like them running through their fields. Like everything else that involves being neighborly, no one really cares. I have had cats, , chickens and ducks killed by dogs that are nice to people because they weren't taught as puppies to be friendly to other animals, like some obviously are as you can see on some properties. It's impossible to watch your animals all the time, so it's going to happen that they are victims. If you had a gun you could shoot the dogs, which isn't something dog lovers like myself would do, but more would eventually come back, as roaming dogs is a countrywide problem. The lack of caring and funding here, which does spay and neuter many, can't catch up to the amount of births happening.

At our place in Rayong I have 8 cats living happily with 8 dogs in a walled garden. Initially the instinct of the dogs was to attack the cats but, simply by using a strong tone of voice to deter the dogs, they gradually stopped their aggression, and they have now been very friendly with the cats for several years.

Edited by Thingamabob

17 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks.

What is your point? Are there dogs killing your chickens or not? Usually chicken should be in a cage or fenced land. And locked inside at night. If dogs are a problem, just use a slingshot and clay balls to deter them.

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Your nickname is wrong, presumably you are a dog-friend.

What about a dog attacking you when you are riding your bike? I carry a couple of bolders in my basket and belt them with it. Only last week one got very close to me and I booted it in the face. Surely retaliating in self defence is not wrong whether it is an animal or a person.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What about a dog attacking you when you are riding your bike? I carry a couple of bolders in my basket and belt them with it. Only last week one got very close to me and I booted it in the face. Surely retaliating in self defence is not wrong whether it is an animal or a person.

I have mentioned that more than once here on this forum and is one of the main reasons I stopped cycling here in Thailand.
It has become a plague those stray dogs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CLW said:

What is your point? Are there dogs killing your chickens or not? Usually chicken should be in a cage or fenced land. And locked inside at night. If dogs are a problem, just use a slingshot and clay balls to deter them.

I'm guessing you don't live in the country nor spent much time here. Everything here is free range besides the few who have fenced in small yards.

• Like 1

If you can get a system working, try an Eletric fence around you chicken area, 3 strands of wire a foot gap from the ground up, look at Lazada for fence units, you can use bamboo for posts works well.

I do a few miles on my push bike. dogs are a problem, but the 3-foot length of thin bamboo I have with me keeps them at bay.

• Agree 1

On 7/18/2024 at 6:50 PM, Formaleins said:

Make sure you use a silencer, the locals would get restless over a farang solving local problems!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm guessing you don't live in the country nor spent much time here. Everything here is free range besides the few who have fenced in small yards.

Stupid answer. Up to you. Think what you want. If the chicken roaming around freely, you can't blame predators for killing them. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, CLW said:

Stupid answer. Up to you. Think what you want. If the chicken roaming around freely, you can't blame predators for killing them. 

Actually an exact answer. The majority of chickens countrywide are free running, meaning they go wherever they want. This is also true of the dogs countrywide, which is a major problem and is being dealt with by spaying and neutering many of them. Only problem is that this has to be funded by the government and stepped up on a major scale to do some good, as people here rarely care about their animals and allow them to roam freely everywhere, without having them fixed. I don't blame dogs for being dogs. If there were actual laws like they have back in the US, dogs wouldn't be allowed to roam in many places and must be kept in the yards. This will never happen here because again, not many care. This is also not like the country areas in the states, where people do keep many of the poultry in houses at night because of the coyotes, and are a lot more likely to train their own dogs to not kill the birds. A sling shot might chase a dog away, but he'll be back when you aren't there, which means at night.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 1:04 PM, NoshowJones said:

What really pisses me off is the total hypocrisy here, they treat animals like <deleted>! Where I am they are still eating dogs at the local noodle joints, they are exporting lorry loads of dogs to Vietnam where they are certainly not going to be pets, but the government try to paint this pathetic facade that they "care" about animal welfare! All their new laws about animal protection, where you probably get a stiffer sentence for killing a cat than raping a baby is just sickening.

I would gladly whack these dogs in the arse with a slingshot to scare them off but I couldn't hit a barn door at 3 foot with one of those and probably either end up taking my fingers off or hitting the animal at some random point that might cause a load of unnecessary grief. At least with the airguns I can get a good clean shot, i.e. pick out either lethal or non lethal points the size of a 1 Baht coin at 40 yards depending upon the situation.

I am not into making them suffer, otherwise I could just use the poison that the local "Animal Lovers" put out that takes hours for the animal to die in agony. If the locals love their animals so much why don't they feed them properly so that they are not on the scrounge all night for food scraps? Why don't they put them on a leash at night so they don't get run over whilst lying in the middle of the road in the middle of the night? Cause they only pay lip service to what they think takes them out of being a third world banana republic, it allows them to think they have entered the 20th century without actually doing anything!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

What really pisses me off is the total hypocrisy here, they treat animals like <deleted>! Where I am they are still eating dogs at the local noodle joints, they are exporting lorry loads of dogs to Vietnam where they are certainly not going to be pets, but the government try to paint this pathetic facade that they "care" about animal welfare! All their new laws about animal protection, where you probably get a stiffer sentence for killing a cat than raping a baby is just sickening.

I would gladly whack these dogs in the arse with a slingshot to scare them off but I couldn't hit a barn door at 3 foot with one of those and probably either end up taking my fingers off or hitting the animal at some random point that might cause a load of unnecessary grief. At least with the airguns I can get a good clean shot, i.e. pick out either lethal or non lethal points the size of a 1 Baht coin at 40 yards depending upon the situation.

I am not into making them suffer, otherwise I could just use the poison that the local "Animal Lovers" put out that takes hours for the animal to die in agony. If the locals love their animals so much why don't they feed them properly so that they are not on the scrounge all night for food scraps? Why don't they put them on a leash at night so they don't get run over whilst lying in the middle of the road in the middle of the night? Cause they only pay lip service to what they think takes them out of being a third world banana republic, it allows them to think they have entered the 20th century without actually doing anything!

I have been working out of country a bit the last 18 months so have given the rice land to FIL to make some baht.

When home it's normal to see around six dogs running through the rice destroying it.

I feel sorry for the FIL( he is old) with all the work he has put in,but the Buddha thing stops him from doing anything.

Electric fences coming soon.