Irish footballer fights for his life after bike crash in Thailand

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am impressed by the fact that this image suggests that you are super neat and organized.

Those shoes, for example, are facing the baseboard at a perfect right angle, and ...

Not 89 degrees, or 92 degrees, but exactly 90 degrees!

All boxes and bags are neatly stacked, and the cable of the power strip is properly coiled.

It's OK, I think that you have ceramic tiles where you store your bicycle.

However, I do hope that you have hardwood flooring in the living areas of your house.

Very nice photo.

I am impressed.

Except, I would never choose the color RED for a bicycle.

My preferred color would be fluorescent yellow-orange (I meant yellow-green. This was changed to yellow-orange, AFTER I clearly remember typing in yellow-green.  This is spooky because, this time, I am sure that this "typo" did not exist when I posted this comment.), like safety colors used by firefighters and UK cops.

This color choice is important for safety.

I hope that bicyclers, all around Thailand, will choose colors most easily seen by car and truck drivers.

Also, use strobe lights.

And, for the sideways views from drivers of vehicles, try to use some sort of reflective tabs/tags on the spokes, etc.

The helmet should have a strobe light on the very top, too.

Always ensure that one is seen when riding in Thailand.

Some drivers are probably operating vehicles while being legally blind, is my guess.

FFS !

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Where I live even bicycle riders have to wear a helmet.

Yes, I'm an Aussie, we wear full face helmets when riding our bicycles. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm here in Texas for the summer and the law doesn't require a helmet....about 60% I see do not wear one... I have an electric E Scooter going 30+mph.. And like the previous poster here it's a full face helmet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stupidity?

If they can afford the flight they can afford insurance.

Whilst people can fly they may also believe that the insurance that they have/ that comes with the flight ticket/ that they pay extra for, may have exclusions in the tiny print tucked away out of normal view.

If you are going to ride a motorbike/bungee jump/ride a bicycle/ or anything out of the ordinary, it is a good idea to get extra insurance cover specifically to cover that activity. If you don't need to claim, you only lose the premium you paid.

If you do need to claim, having proper insurance cover would be a weight off your mind.

OTOH if you do have an accident and you are not insured, you may be in for a double dose of pain, as this guy is now.

If he was insured, but not wearing proper protective gear, the insurance company may use that as an excuse not to pay out.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

It's a good idea to wear a full-face on a bicycle, almost half of impacts are around the chin and face area.

GrizzlyHelmet1.thumb.jpg.db7ba9be045f57099e4fb07467e006a5.jpg

In Thailand I think so..also M.I.P.S. tech. helmet lets the helmet torque/whip I believe so it protects you even more.

https://mipsprotection.com/

Edited by freedomnow
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Where does it say he's not insured? 

Is he in a coma? 

It wouldn't shock me that he has insurance and no one knows about it. 

The first thing you do when you purchase travel insurance is forward a copy to a friend or family member. 

If you are traveling with someone, make sure they know how to access your policy. 

Never assume that you will be conscious. 

And never assume that you will be fit to fly. 

Any of your reading this that do have insurance, and you haven't forwarded it, do it now. 

Any of you that live full time in a condo or similar, offer a copy of your insurance to your juristic person or receptionist. 

There's no point having insurance if no one knows about it in the event that you are rendered unfit to conduct your affairs. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, theblether said:

Where does it say he's not insured? 

Is he in a coma? 

It wouldn't shock me that he has insurance and no one knows about it. 

The first thing you do when you purchase travel insurance is forward a copy to a friend or family member. 

If you are traveling with someone, make sure they know how to access your policy. 

Never assume that you will be conscious. 

And never assume that you will be fit to fly. 

Any of your reading this that do have insurance, and you haven't forwarded it, do it now. 

Any of you that live full time in a condo or similar, offer a copy of your insurance to your juristic person or receptionist. 

There's no point having insurance if no one knows about it in the event that you are rendered unfit to conduct your affairs. 

Very good information thanks! I simply carried a paper print-out of my annual European Travel Insurance when visiting European countries. I never thought to advise family in the UK. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

It's a good idea to wear a full-face on a bicycle, almost half of impacts are around the chin and face area.

GrizzlyHelmet1.thumb.jpg.db7ba9be045f57099e4fb07467e006a5.jpg

never seen a bicyclist amateur or pro wear the above helmet....

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Rental companies (for scooters) are just after a quick buck. 

They don't give a damn about licences or insurance.  You break their bike, they come after you.  And you can guarantee the cost will be higher than actual. 

Until the RTP smack the rental companies for non compliance with big fines, nothing will change. 

Stupid young tourists that think they are 6ft tall and bullet proof will continue renting bikes thinking they can ride like Ivan Mauger. 

Lives will continue to be lost and if some are lucky, only injured/aimed. 

This guy was just unfortunate on a bicycle it seems.  Thai roads are dangerous and you need to be prepared. 

I'm well aware of the situation - but re you  aware that there already have been moves by the authorities to address the problem. THe main problem is that the businesses themselves don't want to comply and also visitors are totally uneducated about the risks of riding uninsured etc etc. In some tourist areas police are in fact clamping down on unlicensed riders.

It's actually impossible to get accurate figures of the number of tourists killed or injured on Thai roads as thos numbers include huge groups of immigrant workers etc.

In places like Samui and Phuket there are certainly  unacceptable numbers of tourists ending up injured or dead because of motorcycling -if they become more aware the the urge to rent a step-through may reduce regardless of what the rental companies think.

It's wroking for elephants so maybe it'll work for step -hroughs.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I was going to say. 'Cue No Insurance and Gofundme' comments but you beat me to it.

Is there not some automatic government insurance now for Tourists ? Probably too many conditions attached to be usable... 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

If you are going to ride a motorbike/bungee jump/ride a bicycle/ or anything out of the ordinary, it is a good idea to get extra insurance cover specifically to cover that activity. If you don't need to claim, you only lose the premium you paid.

Travel insurance will cover normal activities, cycling being one such, including long-distance touring.  Entering a cycling race/competition would normally be excluded.

*edit*

I shall explain.  I like to ride my bicycle.  I like to ride it where I like.  I like to take my bike to Singapore and ride to China, or to Cairns and ride the perimeter of the island.  I checked with various insurers before my travels to confirm I would be covered while cycling.  Yes for riding around town, yes for riding through the wilderness, no for entering a race.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why do people come here uninsured? 

Yeah, uninsured and also without valid license, probably. That´s soo stupid. 

After that all should feel sorry and pitch in. 

59 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Very good information thanks! I simply carried a paper print-out of my annual European Travel Insurance when visiting European countries. I never thought to advise family in the UK. 

The juristic person or receptionist at your condo is also important. I've seen several ambulances called over the years and things go far more smoothly when your residence has the necessary documentation on file. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Not practical, no one is doing this for good reason. Cycling has a certain degree of risk involved everyone should be aware of.

Not sure if this was a real accident or a tourist who thought Thai's will follow the rules of the road. So many ways to die here if you don't know how Thai's drive and how to navigate their misbehaving.

• Like 1

Road bicycles (for racing) normally have an open face helmet... It's part of the rules. 

BMX or MTB are generally full face helmets.  And will give your face more protection. 

In NZ it's now mandatory to wear a helmet on bicycles.  Growing up in my day it never was. 

Too many insurance claims and ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) - government payouts bought this about. 

Don't even think about getting on a motorbike without one.  Cops will pull you over so quickly. 

45 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Not practical, no one is doing this for good reason. Cycling has a certain degree of risk involved everyone should be aware of.

Not sure if this was a real accident or a tourist who thought Thai's will follow the rules of the road. So many ways to die here if you don't know how Thai's drive and how to navigate their misbehaving.

It isn't that impractical, it's just that nobody is used to wearing them. They are pretty light, from what I remember of my mountain biking days a couple of decades ago.

Agree with you about the Thai driving rules, I literally have two driving brains, one for here and one for back home.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

never seen a bicyclist amateur or pro wear the above helmet....

That doesn't mean you can't do it :)

It's usually the mountain bikers who wear them, but given the environmental danger in Thailand, I believe it is justified even for a road bike, but each to their own of course.

1 hour ago, terryofcrete said:

Is there not some automatic government insurance now for Tourists ? Probably too many conditions attached to be usable... 

It doesn't cover a lot and there are restrictions on what it's for. he scheme provides up to 500,000 baht (US\$14,000) in medical coverage and up to 1 million baht (US\$28,000) in the event of death. The scheme ran from January 1 to August 31, 2024, to help tourists feel safe while visiting the country. I think it's been extended beyond that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Where does it say he came here uninsured?

Where does it say he was insured? Neither the news articles nor the GoFundMe page say anything about it. 

Shabby news reporting is no surprise. Starting a GoFundMe page even though there is insurance cover would be uncommon, wouldn't it?

22 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Where does it say he was insured? Neither the news articles nor the GoFundMe page say anything about it. 

Shabby news reporting is no surprise. Starting a GoFundMe page even though there is insurance cover would be uncommon, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your input but the question was not about assumptions or whether it's uncommon to start funding pages or otherwise.

The question remains: Where does it say he came here uninsured?

Edited by Nemises

16 hours ago, john donson said:

people don't read... who wears a full face bike helmet for a bicycle ?  you need insurance too ?

BMX and off road mountain bikers will wear full head protection.  Come off a steep incline and hit rocks on the way down and you pay the price. Insurance as in health travel  coverage.

In the old days, skateboarders never wore protective gear, now, most of the pros have high tech head gear and padding. Times have changed