DTV requirement “Professional portfolio showcasing… freelancer status”

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Apply now, while the consulates have no idea what they really want, the visa is for 5 years, a month here and there wont hurt.

I think I will wait until the start of August. A few years ago they were very annoyed because I applied too early for a Non O.

I am also hoping for somebody to report on reneval of a driver's license with the DTV; I would like to get 5 years instead of 2 years when I renew my license.

On 7/23/2024 at 5:57 AM, anrcaccount said:

think people will start to realise, yes, this is a free for all. 

it's a free for all apart from the fact that many 20 sth year old digital nomads do not have 500,000 thai baht save up

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

I wrote to them at Laos asking them to clarify the Freelancer documents needed. Received a generic reply pointing me back the little cartoony image that they all use. I wasn't expecting a reply but sometimes you get lucky.

So "porfessional portfolio" is as specific as it gets for now I suppose.

I might just bite the bullet and go and take the 10,000 baht gamble and find out.

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

it's a free for all apart from the fact that many 20 sth year old digital nomads do not have 500,000 thai baht save up

Many Indians don't have this,  either. 

(It always amazes me that some island countries, like Britain or Australia, cannot imagine  that there are people on the other side of the water)

Fortunately, there is no seasoning. You only need 500,000 B in your account for 1 second.  If a Westerner cannot arrange this,  maybe better don't leave your country. 

Edited by Lorry

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

Fortunately, there is no seasoning. You only need 500,000 B in your account for 1 second.  If a Westerner cannot arrange this,  maybe better don't leave your country. 

If one's income is from an online-work source, and they don't have 500K, then they should leave their Western country ASAP, so they can save more of their income - vs wasting it on a high cost of living. 

Laos, the PI, or Cambodia will work, if a problem coming to Thailand - no "money in the bank" required in those.

3 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

If one's income is from an online-work source, and they don't have 500K, then they should leave their Western country ASAP, so they can save more of their income - vs wasting it on a high cost of living. 

Laos, the PI, or Cambodia will work, if a problem coming to Thailand - no "money in the bank" required in those.

An extremely stupid idea.

Not sure it's sarcasm,  though (remembering your other posts it's probably not stupidity but sarcasm  - but on AN one never knows)

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

An extremely stupid idea.

Not sure it's sarcasm,  though (remembering your other posts it's probably not stupidity but sarcasm  - but on AN one never knows)

Why is NOT wasting one's income on high overhead costs, for a relatively low standard of living - as those high costs prevent saving money - a "stupid idea"?

In general, I am only sarcastic when talking about immigration's inane practices.

10 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Why is NOT wasting one's income on high overhead costs, for a relatively low standard of living - as those high costs prevent saving money - a "stupid idea"?

In general, I am only sarcastic when talking about immigration's inane practices.

If someone is so poor that he or friends or relatives cannot come up with 15000 $ he has to rely on Western welfare or minimal wages.

Joining the other poor in a third world country?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

If someone is so poor that he or friends or relatives cannot come up with 15000 $ he has to rely on Western welfare or minimal wages.

Joining the other poor in a third world country?

I said, "income from an online-work source" - not welfare (doesn't exist here).  If one's income is tight, relative to overhead-costs, all the more reason to move over to this area.

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

I said, "income from an online-work source" - not welfare (doesn't exist here).  If one's income is tight, relative to overhead-costs, all the more reason to move over to this area.

If your income in a rich country is so low that you don't have access to 15,000 $ - then you are dirt poor.

BTW your premises that the cost of living (for a resident,  not a tourist) in e.g. Thailand is lower than in a rich country is wrong,  too, but that's off topic and would require a new thread

• Confused 2

23 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Apply now, while the consulates have no idea what they really want, the visa is for 5 years, a month here and there wont hurt.

That could go either way in these early days.  Some may also be overly strict.

Edited by shdmn

On 7/20/2024 at 8:42 AM, sikishrory said:

Seems like it is early days and nobody knows wtf is going on. The website itself functions which is quite a surprise but despite that it's amazing how much of the details are not clear at all.

The website has no real details on what specific documents are needed. I begun an application purely to see what documents it requested and it is no clearer than before.

I'm not sure even visa agents know wtf is going on. None of the websites I went to had any updates on the DTV. The Thaigers own page on it somehow manages to construct a full page story repeating the same paragraph about 10 times with no real specific information other than the basics of what has been known for weeks now.

Someone wrote in these forums a couple of days ago that it is only extendable once? I assumed it would be as many 180 day entries as you like within the 5 year period?

There is already a pinned thread on this but I really hope that someone can put a more specific guide together somewhere on the internet without all the noise, chatter and speculation.

I was actually thinking to post a similar thread to the op as I have a developer portfolio but have no idea if it is a pass or not.

10,000 baht is quite a fee to gamble just to find out.

The website seems to indicate showing a portfolio of some kind is enough but then elsewhere it says a "verifiable contract of employment" is required.

"Dcoument indicating current location" - What is it. What is accepted. Who knows?

If you do the Muay Thai or cooking route what is needed? A document saying you have paid for 6 months of classes or a few weeks? What document?

I guess it will all come out in time.

This is the last page of the application process for the digital nomad/ freelancer category.

image.thumb.png.25054a968732bbb638e98ddfc6ff470e.png

On 7/20/2024 at 8:42 AM, sikishrory said:

Seems like it is early days and nobody knows wtf is going on. The website itself functions which is quite a surprise but despite that it's amazing how much of the details are not clear at all.

The website has no real details on what specific documents are needed. I begun an application purely to see what documents it requested and it is no clearer than before.

I'm not sure even visa agents know wtf is going on. None of the websites I went to had any updates on the DTV. The Thaigers own page on it somehow manages to construct a full page story repeating the same paragraph about 10 times with no real specific information other than the basics of what has been known for weeks now.

Someone wrote in these forums a couple of days ago that it is only extendable once? I assumed it would be as many 180 day entries as you like within the 5 year period?

There is already a pinned thread on this but I really hope that someone can put a more specific guide together somewhere on the internet without all the noise, chatter and speculation.

I was actually thinking to post a similar thread to the op as I have a developer portfolio but have no idea if it is a pass or not.

10,000 baht is quite a fee to gamble just to find out.

The website seems to indicate showing a portfolio of some kind is enough but then elsewhere it says a "verifiable contract of employment" is required.

"Dcoument indicating current location" - What is it. What is accepted. Who knows?

If you do the Muay Thai or cooking route what is needed? A document saying you have paid for 6 months of classes or a few weeks? What document?

I guess it will all come out in time.

This is the last page of the application process for the digital nomad/ freelancer category.

Hi, is the sponsorship letter required too? Any idea what should be written in the letter?  Thank you 

13 hours ago, Lorry said:

Many Indians don't have this,  either. 

(It always amazes me that some island countries, like Britain or Australia, cannot imagine  that there are people on the other side of the water)

forgot about that loophole.

so shady agents will create fake bank accounts for you for a small fee?

and you're sure the govt won't check during the entire 5 year period? or maybe just each time you renew?

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

If your income in a rich country is so low that you don't have access to 15,000 $ - then you are dirt poor.

BTW your premises that the cost of living (for a resident,  not a tourist) in e.g. Thailand is lower than in a rich country is wrong,  too, but that's off topic and would require a new thread

Over half of Americans cannot put together $400 cash in an emergency right now - been that way for years, even before the covid transfer of trillions from the middle-class to the top 1% - and to spite a dollar being worth far less in purchasing power than when that stat began, thanks to the inflation from printing money for covid.  Raise the bar to $15K, and it's far fewer. 

It costs me a tiny fraction of what it would cost me to live there, while living much better here.  This was even the case 10+ years ago, when I was under 50, had to do visa-runs, and was still a renter here.  It is MUCH less expensive now here, comparatively, after prices spiked there.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

and you're sure the govt won't check during the entire 5 year period? or maybe just each time you renew?

If you do an extension in-country, they might check.  Let's see if it is really 180-days for every entry, as the wording from the Gazette seems to indicate, or if they force extensions for the 2nd half, to get another 180 days each year.

But, yes, I would assume agents could front the 500K.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Not sure why some people are still confused by this.  Pretty sure it's clearly explained in the official document which only takes a few minutes to read.  

Why would you assume shady Thai visa agents could be involved?  As far as I know it needs to be foreign bank account in your home country.  Technically, someone applying for this visa should not even have a local bank account.

Edited by shdmn

51 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Why would you assume shady Thai visa agents could be involved?  As far as I know it needs to be foreign bank account in your home country.  Technically, someone applying for this visa should not even have a local bank account.

well, now i'm getting conflicting responses.

previous poster did say agents can get involved.

thanks for clarifying that money doesnt have to be in a thai bank, but still a lot of folks do not have that much money in their bank accounts back home. a lot of people are in debt, borrowing, on loans ...

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

well, now i'm getting conflicting responses.

previous poster did say agents can get involved.

thanks for clarifying that money doesnt have to be in a thai bank, but still a lot of folks do not have that much money in their bank accounts back home. a lot of people are in debt, borrowing, on loans ...

We are both talking about the new 5 year DTV visa right?  You can only get that in your home country (in theory), and it's relatively straight forward, so not sure why anyone would suggest that Thai visa agents would even need to be involved. 

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

We are both talking about the new 5 year DTV visa right?  You can only get that in your home country (in theory), and it's relatively straight forward, so not sure why anyone would suggest that Thai visa agents would even need to be involved. 

I had contacted an agency only to get info from them (and later realizing they cant be trusted anyway).

But they did get back to me, so it suggests to me they will be involved with the DTV somehow, or they wouldn't waste their time replying.

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

Why would you assume shady Thai visa agents could be involved?  As far as I know it needs to be foreign bank account in your home country. 

The requirements don't say. Your bank account could be in Thailand, in your home country or elsewhere.

What an individual embassy will be willing to accept and how much effort they will put into establishing that an applicant's bank statements are genuine is anyone's guess.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

You can only get that (DTV) in your home country (in theory)

Currently, it appears one can get them as non-residents in Vientiane (per email-response) and Phenom Penh (per success-report). 
So, it's not like the METV, with regard to having to travel 1/2 way around the world to submit paperwork - not yet, at least.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Currently, it appears one can get them as non-residents in Vientiane (per email-response) and Phenom Penh (per success-report)
So, it's not like the METV, with regard to having to travel 1/2 way around the world to submit paperwork - not yet, at least.

That is good to know.  I was wondering about that.  I think you are only allowed to get it online while in your home country (in theory).  Yes I know that you can probably get around that with a VPN or whatever but they could (again, in theory) check your stamps in your passport and see that you were not in your home country when the visa was issued.

Edited by shdmn

15 hours ago, shdmn said:

That is good to know.  I was wondering about that.  I think you are only allowed to get it online while in your home country (in theory).  Yes I know that you can probably get around that with a VPN or whatever but they could (again, in theory) check your stamps in your passport and see that you were not in your home country when the visa was issued.

Breaking the rules to get one would be foolish, IMO.  I agree that one's passport-stamps would give them away.

But, for now, it is up to the consulates if they require you to be a resident of that country to apply for the DTV.  Some consulates won't even sell you a tourist-visa, unless you are a local resident.

I have everything I need except letter from HR showing employment, now the issue I will have even though remote work is allowed my contract doesn't state it and HR are not going to be willing to write into my contract/letter. My current letter would show company in my country/hours per week/salary/position and title which is IT Senior engineer architect, would this be enough for the proof of employment?

The way its worded it seems to be fine right?

As per my embassy 

DTV1 - Workcation (digital nomad/remote worker/foreign talent/freelancer)

Required Documents:
  1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Document indicating current location
  4. Financial evidence: amount of no less than £11,000 (500,000 THB), e.g. bank statements, sponsorship letter
  5. Employment contract or employment certificate in their country or professional portfolio showcasing digital nomad, remote worker, foreign talent or freelancer status

11 minutes ago, asia123 said:

I will try going to Vientiane today with  
printing out my website screenshot and URL

Worth a shot.  I was also thinking of showing them a report from my billing software such as a customer list by state/country.  Creating a business website can be done quite easily using a template, so I suspect they would want to see a little more than that.

Edited by shdmn

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

Creating a business website can be done quite easily using a template, so I suspect they would want to see a little more than that.

Yes I guess it really depends on how diligent they are with checking this.

They could check how long the business website's domain has been registered and what its Internet Archive history looks like, but then again, the applicant could opt to book a cooking class and apply in the Thai soft power category instead.