Why do we do it ?

1 hour ago, The Cobra said:

Do you have any tips or tricks to stop the overthinking madness? Is it something that comes later in life ?

I used to over think things, i changed about 20 years ago, I learnt to stop doing it, you are in control not your brain. The Power of Now and Chimp paradox helped

• Agree 2

Just now, susanlea said:

Do you find regular exercise helps? I do. Just do it. Don't think.

I don't need exercise for that purpose because i learnt to control it. If you are stewing on something, put it off, i think, I'll deal with that next week, next month, etc and repeat as needed, it helped enormously

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The Cobra said:

I'm curious, why do some folks overthink everything? For some , it’s like the brain has its own Netflix series, and every minor decision or event is a gripping season finale that requires hours of contemplation.

For example, I’ll spend 20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch, as if choosing the wrong phad kapow could lead to the collapse of civilization. Or, I’ll replay a conversation from last week, analyzing every word like I’m a detective in a crime drama.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get stuck in these endless loops of “what ifs” and “maybe I should have said that”? I know anxiety, fear of failure, and perfectionism play a role, but I’d love to hear others thoughts and experiences.

Do you have any tips or tricks to stop the overthinking madness? Is it something that comes later in life ?

Looking forward to your insights (or over-analyses)!

Cheers!

If I would have your problem I would see a psychologist or psychiatrist immediately.🙏

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Cobra said:

I'm curious, why do some folks overthink everything? For some , it’s like the brain has its own Netflix series, and every minor decision or event is a gripping season finale that requires hours of contemplation.

For example, I’ll spend 20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch, as if choosing the wrong phad kapow could lead to the collapse of civilization. Or, I’ll replay a conversation from last week, analyzing every word like I’m a detective in a crime drama.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get stuck in these endless loops of “what ifs” and “maybe I should have said that”? I know anxiety, fear of failure, and perfectionism play a role, but I’d love to hear others thoughts and experiences.

Cheers!

Cogito ergo sum …

I always used to think of the worse case scenario outcome even before I had done something whether that be work, going somewhere, an awkward conversation to be had etc.

Then one day, I just thought 'feck it, worry about it when there's something to worry about'. I try to continue with that way of thinking but do still have my moments. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

“what ifs” and “maybe I should have said that”

Living as an expat in Thailand can amplify the tendency to overthink, especially when you're navigating a new culture, language, and daily routines. I’ve noticed that many of us get caught in loops of analysis, whether it’s deciding what to eat or replaying past conversations. Anxiety, fear of failure, and perfectionism can play a big role in this.

One useful approach I've found is to set specific times for thinking and other times for not thinking. For example, when you go to bed, aim to go right to sleep without dwelling on thoughts. Meditation can be a valuable practice here – it's all about gaining control over your thoughts. Through breathing meditation, you can slow down your thoughts, observe them without getting overwhelmed, and eventually manage them better throughout your day.

Physical activity also plays a crucial role. Regular exercise can help tire out your body, making it easier to rest both physically and mentally. Additionally, paying attention to your diet is important. What you consume can significantly affect your mental state and overall well-being.

So, here are a few tips to help manage overthinking:

1. **Set Times for Thinking**: Allocate specific times for decision-making and reflection, and stick to those times.

2. **Practice Meditation**: Incorporate breathing meditation into your routine to slow down and observe your thoughts.

3. **Stay Physically Active**: Regular exercise can help tire your body and ease your mind.

4. **Mind Your Diet**: Be mindful of what you eat, as your diet can impact your mental health.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Cheers!

Yes.

Lobotomy.

This simple procedure should lessen your constant and incessant worrying over how to stop the obsessive-compulsive behavior you see in others.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Because we are foreigners and we are famous here for thinking too much. Sometimes I wish I could be like the average Thai, and just live my day, be in the present, and not overthink everything. 

You can.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

Lobotomy.

This simple procedure should lessen your constant and incessant worrying over how to stop the obsessive-compulsive behavior you see in others.

Did you have one?

Sorry, could not resist.

3 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Pretend a doctor told you that you have 12 months to live and act accordingly. 

• Like 1

It's just you.

Go see your doctor and get some meds.

Indecision has never been a problem for me.

I look at the options, and choose the easiest or most rewarding path.

The OP sounds as if he may be depressed, poor sleep and the cycle he describes - see a doctor.

Edited by Lacessit

Cheers!

That's why people get  hobbies, turn to training freak, yoga or religious to keep their minds busy.

Racing thoughts can have underlying serious mental health issues, but there is methods to ease them if you are willing to do something about it. 

A good start to talk to a psycholog who can help you with a few guidelines 

Edited by Hummin

A long time ago I learned about how to handle problems.

The first two steps are:

a) What is the problem?

b) Is it important? If not, then move on.

It does not really matter what you eat. Why waste time and energy to think long about that?

I handle that like this: When I am hungry I "ask my body" what I want to eat. Something will pop into my mind. Likely I will be able to buy it or make it. If not, then let some other thing pop into my mind.

If nothing "pops" now, then probably I am not hungry. Do something else. Later on, something will come to my mind what I want to eat.

With other thinks, like what did someone say or mean by saying that two weeks ago, I would realize it does not make much sense to think about it. Two weeks later we remember only a small part about what was said a long time ago. We remember little, and our understanding now will most likely not be better than two weeks ago. Except, if we have further information, like something happened with the person who we talked about.

But even then, there are often so many possibilities and outcomes that we just speculate about what might have happened or what possibly will happen, etc. Is it worth spending time to analyze that this might happen, or that, but it could also be something else?

Relax, let it happen.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many people don't think enough, their brain must work differently 

The brain should be used like any other tool. Use it when you need it. And leave it aside if you don't use it.

I.e. if you have a walk on the beach, just relax.

39473_hd.jpg

• Like 1