Why do we do it ?

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Every morning 150,000 people who were alive yesterday are now dead. So everyday is a blessing. What can I do today to make my body stronger tomorrow? 

Weightlifting?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Cobra said:

For example, I’ll spend 20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch, as

I just eat what appeals at the time. I find it hard to finish books though. 

7 hours ago, The Cobra said:

I'm curious, why do some folks overthink everything? For some , it’s like the brain has its own Netflix series, and every minor decision or event is a gripping season finale that requires hours of contemplation.

For example, I’ll spend 20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch, as if choosing the wrong phad kapow could lead to the collapse of civilization. Or, I’ll replay a conversation from last week, analyzing every word like I’m a detective in a crime drama.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get stuck in these endless loops of “what ifs” and “maybe I should have said that”? I know anxiety, fear of failure, and perfectionism play a role, but I’d love to hear others thoughts and experiences.

Do you have any tips or tricks to stop the overthinking madness? Is it something that comes later in life ?

Looking forward to your insights (or over-analyses)!

Cheers!

Get yourself a mantra.

I would like to recommend the book Change Your Diet - Change Your Mind.    Also,The Center for Mindful Self Compassion online.  You can google for them.  Ignore the scornful and simplistic comments on this thread.They are made by people who are ignorant about mental health issues.  A huge number of people have problems with excessive thinking.  It can’t be stopped by a single decision.   Good luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Indecision has never been a problem for me.

I look at the options, and choose the easiest or most rewarding path.

The OP sounds as if he may be depressed, poor sleep and the cycle he describes - see a doctor.

And the odds of finding a doctor that would solve his problems? My estimation is zero and at worst a load of pills that will destroy many in the end.  If your talking about the sleep issues then that might make sense but I still have my doubts and definitely would involve meds.  

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Keeps said:

I always used to think of the worse case scenario outcome even before I had done something whether that be work, going somewhere, an awkward conversation to be had etc.

Then one day, I just thought 'feck it, worry about it when there's something to worry about'. I try to continue with that way of thinking but do still have my moments. 

I went to the pub one day, and I met a friend.  We went to another pub.  The second pub was not the same as the first pub, and I did not know my way home.

I walked for a while, and that did not help.

I got a taxi to a famous landmark, from which I knew my way home, but the landmark was square, and I did not know from which side I should start.

I gave my hotel room key card to a taxi driver, but it had no Chinese on it.

i walked for a while. 
It started to rain.

”It’s 5 o clock in the morning, I’ve got no idea where I am or how to get home, and it’s pissing down with rain.

This could not get any worse”

I stumbled over a rail that prevents motorbikes driving on the footpath, and broke my front teeth.

It can always get worse.  Much worse.

You cannot imagine the worst case.

But if you deal with the foreseeable problems (like - how do I get home from here”) you might avoid the catastrophic consequences

• Like 1

Learning how to control thoughts starts with being able to see them as they popup and not after they have gained momentum. Not easy in your state but worth the effort. Just seeing them will release half the anxiety and as time passes you start letting go more and more of the random thoughts. 

I have only had one rough period in my life and it only lasted a few months while ending a 20 year relationship.  I did the above and things slowly improved. I just came to the conclusion I might be ffkked in countless ways and why not enjoy myself until possibly the terrible outcomes my mind thought up happened.   Meditation might help but isn't a necessity.  Sounds like you are in a semi-bad spot and it won't be easy.  Read the books Scuba listed in his post.  I was only able to skim them  but they were good.  

36 minutes ago, atpeace said:

And the odds of finding a doctor that would solve his problems? My estimation is zero and at worst a load of pills that will destroy many in the end.  If your talking about the sleep issues then that might make sense but I still have my doubts and definitely would involve meds.  

Poor sleep due to thinking too much is definitely cause for depression. I should know, I have been there. The key is to break the cycle of negative feedback. It might be done by counselling, lifestyle changes, or meds.

In my case, I was on a tricyclic anti-depressant for some years. Once I left an unhappy marriage, I no longer needed the meds.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Poor sleep due to thinking too much is definitely cause for depression. I should know, I have been there. The key is to break the cycle of negative feedback. It might be done by counselling, lifestyle changes, or meds.

In my case, I was on a tricyclic anti-depressant for some years. Once I left an unhappy marriage, I no longer needed the meds.

A friend just left after visiting for a week.  He was a mess most days because he couldn't sleep.  Took meds but didn't seem to help much.  He  only gets a couple hours sleep  some nights.  I can't imagine living through that and glad you moved past it.  I get it meds can work and in the end it seems you made the right choice.  Also seen too many life's destroyed by them and feel being your own doctor and learning as much as possible about your health is ideal.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Shame you didn't think about a relevant title about a topic we know nothing about until we click on it and read your story

I think it has led to some interesting insights, and maybe some of the best do not emerge from his own perceived problem.

Let’s face it - if he could clearly describe his problem, he’d be half way to solving it, and maybe having a chuckle at other people’s misfortune might fill in the other half.

Thoughts are born out of emotions. Look at the emotions that underlie your thoughts.

Usually, it's fear. 80% of the time (Shame for the remaining 20%). The cure is actively practicing self-love.

The Tibetans say our thoughts are real (to us) but not true (your fear and shame are made up).

As your emotions heal over time, you will experience many less ruminating thoughts.

23 hours ago, The Cobra said:

I'm curious, why do some folks overthink everything? For some , it’s like the brain has its own Netflix series, and every minor decision or event is a gripping season finale that requires hours of contemplation.

For example, I’ll spend 20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch, as if choosing the wrong phad kapow could lead to the collapse of civilization. Or, I’ll replay a conversation from last week, analyzing every word like I’m a detective in a crime drama.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get stuck in these endless loops of “what ifs” and “maybe I should have said that”? I know anxiety, fear of failure, and perfectionism play a role, but I’d love to hear others thoughts and experiences.

Do you have any tips or tricks to stop the overthinking madness? Is it something that comes later in life ?

Cheers!

From personal experience and person conversations everyone I know does. We call it going down the rabbit hole or dark hole. 

You just have to recognize it for what it is and tell your self to stop. At least that is what I find helps me. Once I recognize it, I get angry and tell myself to just F-ing stop and try to think of other things. It doesn't always help me stop thinking but once I realize what I am doing it does put the thoughts back in perspective 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 9:58 AM, petermik said:

And another......why do some folks post nonsensical topics...boredom???

Looks like bob and GG have started a trend here on AN. :sad:

On 7/20/2024 at 9:51 AM, The Cobra said:

Cheers!

As I have rehired I have slowly shrugged off any firm commitments and professional and Commercial  relationships that made demands on my time and my brain. Now I find that life's  trivia occupies me more, but I don't mind.  Deciding whether to have another coffee takes time now, but who cares.  There should be a time in life when nothing much really matters, bar getting through the waking hours enjoyably and satisfyingly, however that pans out.  Chill is the word. 

• Like 1

Diet makes a big difference.  Since I switched back to a strict carnivore diet, my obsessive thinking has mostly gone away.  I’m very pleased.  For a discussion of how the carnivore diet has helped the patients of a Harvard-trained psychiatrist see the book Change Your Diet - Change Your Mind.  There is also a video with that title on YouTube.  It would be wonderful if people could stop their obsessive thinking with a single decision but that doesn’t work for many people.  

41 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Diet makes a big difference.  Since I switched back to a strict carnivore diet, my obsessive thinking has mostly gone away.  I’m very pleased.  For a discussion of how the carnivore diet has helped the patients of a Harvard-trained psychiatrist see the book Change Your Diet - Change Your Mind.  There is also a video with that title on YouTube.  It would be wonderful if people could stop their obsessive thinking with a single decision but that doesn’t work for many people.  

So what exactly do you eat?

On 7/20/2024 at 12:03 PM, spidermike007 said:

Because we are foreigners and we are famous here for thinking too much. Sometimes I wish I could be like the average Thai, and just live my day, be in the present, and not overthink everything. 

Mark Twain wrote, my life has been full of disasters that never happened. 

I eat microwaved beef and fish, sometimes chicken.   I rarely eat supermarket takeout food.  I have learned to microwave it thoroughly before I do.  Food prepared in the morning collects a lot of histamines as it sits in the store at room temperature.   About five years ago, I developed histamine intolerance and an increased number of allergies so I must be very careful.

Apparently many people have similar conditions.  I recommend watching the video “Change Your Diet -  Change Your Mind” on YouTube.