Ex-Pats targeted on Sky Train

5 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

as a result of the USA COVID Vaccine donations to Thailand for all.

Mine were not from the US as all three were Astra Zeneca

On 7/31/2024 at 4:39 PM, Lorry said:

You remember (covid) vaccines for Thais only?

I can't think of anything much more disgusting than this. 

Thais found it obvious and quite ok.

It told people a lot about Thais. But those who live here don't want to acknowledge how hostile their environment is.

BTW quite a few farang have gotten those 190k

All three of my covid vaccines were free, as were the three each that my non Thai GF and her non Thai daughter had.

3 hours ago, connda said:

But trust me.  Any Thai living in the Thai enclaves around North Hollywood would be screaming bloody murder if Los Angles Metro ran a "senior discount" and Thai were told, "Sorry.  American citizen only."  Oh people would be screaming, "RACISM", and the entire fiasco would end up in US Federal Court as discrimination.

In Thailand?  Racism is institutionalized and approved by the government and society.  "Solly farang."

It's not racism, it's nationalism.   Nationalism can be seen as discrimination by some but it's not racial discrimination, as it does not target a specific race or ethnicity, just non-Thai citizens.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never understood the logic of discounts for old people. I pay crazily low rates for public transport in Australia, but like most people, have way more money than when I was young - and most Australians of my age have way more money than I do. Maybe in Thailand the elderly really are financially worse off than younger people, but in Australia there’s a lot of understandable resentment against all of the benefits given to wealthy baby boomers.

57 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve never understood the logic of discounts for old people. I pay crazily low rates for public transport in Australia, but like most people, have way more money than when I was young - and most Australians of my age have way more money than I do. Maybe in Thailand the elderly really are financially worse off than younger people, but in Australia there’s a lot of understandable resentment against all of the benefits given to wealthy baby boomers.

In Thailand,  if you are born into a rich family,  by the time you are old you may be the family patriarch and really rich. 

If you were born into a poor family,  in old age you get a government pension of 600 B per month (not per hour). They raised this to 6000 for some,  and lowered it to 0 for some of the  poorest. Even 6000 per month do not allow for a luxurious lifestyle, so if you had the bad luck to be born in Bangkok (meaning you cannot move back to your village) you are happy for any discount you can get.

If you are old and were born into a middle class family - oh, 70 years ago there were very few middle class familes in Thailand. 

BTW in Western Europe, many pensioners get less than 1000 €/month, some just 500.

OTOH those old people who had had a good job or a good piece of land, they are very well off now.

02 Aug 25 @ 17:00 Just topped up my Elder card at Lak Song. Cashier took my THB and loaded my card. No mention that card is only for Thais or any other restrictions.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

If you were born into a poor family,  in old age you get a government pension of 600 B per month (not per hour). They raised this to 6000 for some,  and lowered it to 0 for some of the  poorest. Even 6000 per month do not allow for a luxurious lifestyle, so if you had the bad luck to be born in Bangkok (meaning you cannot move back to your village) you are happy for any discount you can get.

Yes, certainly very different from Australia! No argument for us farang to get senior concession in Thailand though.

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2024 at 12:39 PM, DaLa said:

A few years ago a minister in Thailand brought up the subject of dual / gouge pricing for ex-pats. Well that fell on deaf ears.

I’ve been here 12 years and using the MRT for the last 7 of those. I’m 70 and took advantage of the ‘senior’ ticket rate…. until last week.

New rule was pointed out to me at the ticket counter… Thai only.

Emailed MRT and they confirmed this in a reply. Won’t break the bank but I’m starting to think I need to create a rule here that’s in my favour.

Regardless I hope me and the other 5 ex-pats in Nothingtodo-a-bhuri hit their bottom line hard by deserting the service.

I have a senior MRT card too. I don't remember if they ask passport when I top  up. If they don't ask it maybe a thai friend can top up ?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2024 at 10:52 AM, John Drake said:

I guess the MRT must be different from the BTS. I haven't ridden on either for several years now. But I remember when I hit Thai retirement age and went and asked for the senior pass on the BTS. Supplied them with ID, visa, and work permit. No good. Not Thai. Didn't have an idea that I could have used one on the MRT--apparently until last week.

yes, they are different, they can't even agree to have a standard travel card as most other major city public transport systems have.

12 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I also got the free shots … as a result of the USA COVID Vaccine donations to Thailand for all.

Foreigners were always planned to be included in the mass vaccination. I got my first two early on, AZ, for free, and nothing to do with any American donation. So did any other foreigner I know.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/31/2024 at 10:59 AM, grain said:

That came later, and only after Thailand received huge quantities of vaccines donated by OUR governments. In the early days of vaccine availability in Thailand it was Thais only. I'm the sole farang in our village and when the poo yai baan announced over the loudspeakers that they would soon be vaccinating and everybody should go and put their names down now, my Thai wife went and put her name down and she asked if she could put my name down too, but the poo yai baan said the vaccines were for Thais only and I can contact my embassy. I thought that was taking meanness to an absurd degree because if the whole idea of vaccinating everyone in an area was to curb the spread of a deadly pandemic, then leaving one person unvaccinated because of his race is madness and puts the entire community at risk.

if everybody else had been vaccinated then  surely the rest of the community were protected, and therefore, so where you.

• Confused 1

On 7/20/2024 at 5:53 PM, Yagoda said:

What an overreaction to a price difference of probably 25 cents.

I only do the senior citizen gig when its important...like heading to the head of the line or getting in for free.

I dont even ID as a senior. When folks ask me if I want the discount, I tell them I am only 50 but had a rough time last night

Probably the principal of it, not the 25 cents.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Foreigners were always planned to be included in the mass vaccination. I got my first two early on, AZ, for free, and nothing to do with any American donation. So did any other foreigner I know.

I stated my shots were as a result of USA donation, I did not state all shots were as a result of USA donation.

On 8/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, Lorry said:

BTW in Western Europe, many pensioners get less than 1000 €/month, some just 500.

Figures are in GBP but this table indicates otherwise.

https://www.almondfinancial.co.uk/pension-breakeven-index-how-does-the-uk-state-pension-compare-to-the-rest-of-europe/

Greece in Southern Europe and Finland in the North are the only ones outside the Eastern bloc.

40 minutes ago, treetops said:

Figures are in GBP but this table indicates otherwise.

https://www.almondfinancial.co.uk/pension-breakeven-index-how-does-the-uk-state-pension-compare-to-the-rest-of-europe/

Greece in Southern Europe and Finland in the North are the only ones outside the Eastern bloc.

Did you notice that this site is talking about maximum pensions?

Nothing to do with reality.

Edited by Lorry
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Did you notice that this site is talking about maximum pensions?

Nothing to do with reality.

Here's averages from 3 years ago which should be more representative and shows a similar pattern, and bear in mind they'll have increased somewhat since then.  There's always going to be outliers well above and below average but I don't think it's as dismal as you make out.

https://www.euronews.com/business/2024/05/31/pensions-in-europe-which-countries-are-best-and-worst-for-retirement

• Thanks 1

As for Thai tax, not a problem for me as i am retired and also have a government UK pension (not taxable in Thailand). Anyway, when married and retired you do not pay tax on 40,000 baht a month. Unfortunately UK not so generous. Have to pay tax there, tax goes up every year. Fortunately do not live in Bangkok, so do not care about MRT and BTS....

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Here's averages from 3 years ago which should be more representative and shows a similar pattern, and bear in mind they'll have increased somewhat since then.  There's always going to be outliers well above and below average but I don't think it's as dismal as you make out.

https://www.euronews.com/business/2024/0https://www.euronews.com/business/2024/05/31/pensions-in-europe-which-countries-are-best-and-worst-for-retirement5/31/pensions-in-europe-which-countries-are-best-and-worst-for-retirement

These numbers are a lot more realistic.

You noticed it's gross pensions, i.e. before taxes and health insurance? 

These vary a lot between countries. 

The picture says  average gross is 1300 (in the text they write 1200), so net is not that much more than 1000 €/months, probably 1100-1200.

I said "many" have less than 1000, I didn't  say "most".

And don't forget,  many people don't get a pension at all..

There are many places in Europe where you can hardly subsist on 1200€.

And that's where you really need old-age discounts.

(Most important factor: do you own your place? Home ownership e.g. in southern Europe is traditionally quite high, in Germany,  for example,  quite low.)

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

There are many places in Europe where you can hardly subsist on 1200€.

Yes, and without looking again I think one of the pages shows where they fall below the subsistence level.

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

And that's where you really need old-age discounts.

I don't know about other countries, but the UK for example has pension credits for those getting below the regular state pension so bringing them into line with it, and the UK is oft cited as having one of the lowest pensions around.  That also then qualifies them for many more potential benefits.

I think we're getting (well) away from the MRT discount being discontinued so I'll leave it at that.

On 8/2/2024 at 7:01 AM, rocketboy2 said:

They showed there true colors straight out the gate. 

Only negative press changed it.

....their.............

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/20/2024 at 5:53 PM, Yagoda said:

What an overreaction to a price difference of probably 25 cents.

I only do the senior citizen gig when its important...like heading to the head of the line or getting in for free.

I dont even ID as a senior. When folks ask me if I want the discount, I tell them I am only 50 but had a rough time last night

You are not one who cares much about 'principles'.

• Like 1

"I guess the MRT must be different from the BTS"

After checking all these, incl AirLink to BKK, I found all are different in prices and rules!

Well, "when in Roma etc..."

48 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are not one who cares much about 'principles'.

Im not cheap. Life stressors should be expensive. Their country, their rules, if it bothers you so much, move.

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:14 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

How much tax do you pay, or did you pay in Thailand?

I hit the 25% tax bracket half of my ten years working here. Another five years probably around 15-20%

Receive absolutely nothing I'm aware of in return.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1