Kamala Harris Running Mate Update: Jim Clyburn Names Three Governors as Potential VP Picks

Social Media

image.png.a73d69fd923b7f1fbc73271c242e6cd7.png

In a significant political development, Representative Jim Clyburn, a prominent figure credited with helping President Joe Biden secure his victory in 2020, has outlined three potential running mates for Vice President Kamala Harris. This comes in the wake of President Biden's unexpected decision to drop out of the 2024 presidential race, ending his re-election bid after a particularly challenging debate raised questions about his ability to compete effectively against Donald Trump.

Following his decision to step down, Biden quickly endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris as the Democratic Party's nominee, urging the party to unite behind her. Harris swiftly garnered endorsements from several influential caucuses and political organizations. Additionally, governors who had been considered potential candidates for the top of the ticket also expressed their support for Harris. 

"I've been saying now for several weeks that if for any reason, President Biden were to decide not to run, I thought that Vice President Harris should be our choice and that's who I would be supporting," said Clyburn, a South Carolina Democrat, during an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I do believe that when the American people see her stacked up against Donald Trump and his 2025 project and what he has in store for the American people, she is going to win this race, and she is going to win it with massive support."

Clyburn highlighted three Democratic governors as strong contenders to join Harris on the ticket as her vice-presidential running mate: Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, and North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper. According to Clyburn, these governors represent a "great crop of governors" and are "awesome business people." He stressed that Harris would conduct a thorough vetting process to select her running mate and that he would support her choice, whoever it might be.

Josh Shapiro, currently serving his second year as Pennsylvania's governor, has been identified as a rising star in the Democratic Party. Shapiro secured his governorship by decisively defeating Doug Mastriano, a far-right candidate endorsed by Trump, in the 2022 election. Prior to his governorship, Shapiro served as Pennsylvania's Attorney General and as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Clyburn also noted that West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin, who has recently declared himself an independent, suggested that Shapiro should be considered to lead the Democratic ticket. "He likes the governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro," Clyburn said. "I like him too."

Andy Beshear, the Governor of Kentucky, has been another name floated to replace Biden at the top of the ticket. Beshear has successfully navigated the political landscape of a heavily Republican state, winning hard-fought gubernatorial campaigns in 2019 and 2023 against Trump-backed Republicans. As an attorney by trade, Beshear previously served as the state's Attorney General. Despite the GOP-controlled Legislature, he has presided over record-setting economic growth in Kentucky. Clyburn acknowledged his familiarity with Beshear’s legacy, noting, "I've been around for a long time so I remember Beshear's father and I know who he is. I don't know him very well."

Roy Cooper, the Governor of North Carolina, brings extensive political experience with six statewide election victories over two decades. In a state where Republicans typically prevail and control the legislature, Cooper has managed to maintain strong approval ratings, which his administration credits to a booming economy. Clyburn emphasized that having Cooper on the ticket could be strategically advantageous for the Democrats in the upcoming election. "North Carolina brings about 15 electoral votes," Clyburn said. "It will be a very good contest for us if you had Roy Cooper on the tickets."

With these three governors—Shapiro, Beshear, and Cooper—being identified as top contenders, Harris will have to make a strategic choice that not only complements her candidacy but also addresses the broader electoral challenges posed by a potential rematch against Donald Trump.

Credit: Newsweek 2024-07-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I prefer senator Mark Kelley but perhaps they want him to remain in the senate…..

Yes my 2nd pick after Shapiro.  It wouldnt be a big deal that he's a senator as there is a Dem. Governor to name his replacement so that shouldn't matter to her or the party.  

Edited by mushroomdave

47 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Gretchen Witmer of Michigan.  The the Dems can claim "Girl Power"?  I hear Hilary might consider the VP position as long as Kamala agrees to step after two years. Best news is Alexandria Ocasio Cortez turns 35 on October 12 so she would be old enough to be President in case Kamala does not finish her term.  

Strange.

There is zero chance AOC will be picked for VP.

The "progressive" wing of the party is going to have to suck it up buttercup if they hope to have any chance to beat the maga fascists.

Hillary is too old and knows what a crap job VP is and would never be interested.

Also she lost before. Democrats don't do redos like that.

Whitmer would be a good pick but low chance she would do an all women ticket as that would be a bridge too far for many male voters.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I prefer senator Mark Kelley but perhaps they want him to remain in the senate…..

for once i totally agree with you. educated experienced and no stranger to trauma and big events. but possibly might outshine her ? that's quite the record he has. 

13 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

My money is on Josh Shapiro, governor of Pennsylvania. 

A former tough prosecutor like Harris, family man marrying his H.S. sweetheart, and beat his far right Republican opponent by over "15 points" in the governor's race. 

But the 2 main reasons: 

(1) Dem's would win Pennsylvania more than likely.

(2) He would be the first Jew to be on a national ticket / be Vice-President. 

And Kamala already celebrates Jewish holidays with 1st husband Doug Emhoff. 

So I am sure they all will get along fine at dinners. 

Bet on Shapiro!

Shapiro's support for Israel , though it might resonate well with Jewish voters will not help because they vote overweeningly democratic anyway. But it would hurt with those democrats of which there are many,  who are against the Palestinian  genocide. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

Yes my 2nd pick after Shapiro.  It wouldnt be a big deal that he's a senator as there is a Dem. Governor to name his replacement so that shouldn't matter to her or the party.  

I was sold on Shapiro when I learned he has Obama like charisma in speeches yet from a moderate. There is worry he would attract pro Hamas protestors at the Chicago convention.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Have you forgotten Gore -- Lieberman which tragically didn't win (thanks to the already corrupt SCOTUS). 

Noted and edited to be "could be" the first VP.  Thanks so much!

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Shapiro's support for Israel , though it might resonate well with Jewish voters will not help because they vote overweeningly democratic anyway. But it would hurt with those democrats of which there are many,  who are against the Palestinian  genocide. 

Any democrat on the ticket will support Israel over Hamas terrorists. Jew or not. 

As long as we're talking about avoiding great picks as defense against haters, how about Mayor Pete?

As Vlad Vexler has said, an underdog like Harris with so little time needs to be BOLD (as opposed to being too carefully over defensive) to have a better chance.

Shapiro or Buttigeig would be bold choices.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

(2) He "could be" the first Jew to be Vice-President. 

I think that 'could be' title belongs to Joe Lieberman:

Joseph Isadore Lieberman was an American politician and lawyer who served as a United States senator from Connecticut from 1989 to 2013. A former member of the Democratic Party, he was its nominee for vice president of the United States in the 2000 U.S. presidential election.

He was the Democratic Party nominee for vice president in the 2000 presidential election, running with presidential nominee and then Vice President Al Gore, and becoming the first Jewish candidate on a U.S. major party presidential ticket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lieberman

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I think that 'could be' title belongs to Joe Lieberman:

Joseph Isadore Lieberman was an American politician and lawyer who served as a United States senator from Connecticut from 1989 to 2013. A former member of the Democratic Party, he was its nominee for vice president of the United States in the 2000 U.S. presidential election.

He was the Democratic Party nominee for vice president in the 2000 presidential election, running with presidential nominee and then Vice President Al Gore, and becoming the first Jewish candidate on a U.S. major party presidential ticket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lieberman

Yes and if you look above, I already corrected that error in respose to Jingthing's post....and the "could be" is in reference to possible first VP now......  But thanks!

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

Yes and if you look above, I already corrected that error in respose to Jingthing's post.  But thanks!

yes -- those were put up as I was getting the wikipedia stuff. No problem.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Any democrat on the ticket will support Israel over Hamas terrorists. Jew or not.

Not true that every Democrat has the same unequivocal support as Shapiro..

It is really a very simple observation and not open to much argument. .  A Shapiro choice will not resonate well with the base that is against the genocide. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Not true that every Democrat has the same unequivocal support as Shapiro..

It is really a very simple observation and not open to much argument. .  A Shapiro choice will not resonate well with the base that is against the genocide. 

It is open to much argument but not here. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Tug said:

She might even reach across the isle and pick a real republican like Adam Kiszinger he’s a vet/pilot/flew kc130s and AWACS’s he’s young sharp well spoken supports NATO that just might be the secret sauce some republican crossover appeals to a lot of men stands for country over party ain’t no wannabe fascist not a putin puppet 

She definitely won't.

His policy positions except for being anti maga fascist (which is admirable) are completely opposite to mainstream democratic party positions.

There is being bold and then there is being insane.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is open to much argument but not here. 

I think it is reasonable that a voter might not support a candidate who advocates something they strongly oppose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sirineou said:

I think it is reasonable that a voter might not support a candidate who advocates something they strongly oppose. 

It's much more than that and you know it, it's about him being a proud Jew, that triggers the pro Hamas brigade. But this is for another topic. 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Strange.

There is zero chance AOC will be picked for VP.

The "progressive" wing of the party is going to have to suck it up buttercup if they hope to have any chance to beat the maga fascists.

Hillary is too old and knows what a crap job VP is and would never be interested.

Also she lost before. Democrats don't do redos like that.

Whitmer would be a good pick but low chance she would do an all women ticket as that would be a bridge too far for many male voters.

Not being serious but with the current state Not a Dem but they might have to consider an out of the box candidate.  The nation and the world will now see how Kamala responds to the at times hostile WH media.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Not being serious but with the current state Not a Dem but they might have to consider an out of the box candidate.  The nation and the world will now see how Kamala responds the at times hostile WH media.  

She wants a pick that will help her beat the maga fascists but is not seen as overly safe and defensive.

She is the underdog. Playing it too safe and she's toast.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's much more than that and you know it, it's about him being a proud Jew, that triggers the pro Hamas brigade. But this is for another topic. 

pride is considered one of the seven deadly sins in Christianity and Islam

It leads people to unreasonable conclusions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

She definitely won't.

His policy positions except for being anti maga fascist (which is admirable) are completely opposite to mainstream democratic party positions.

There is being bold and then there is being insane.

I agree they are to far apart policy wise my favorite is still Mark Kelley he’s absolutely top knotch!!

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I was sold on Shapiro when I learned he has Obama like charisma in speeches yet from a moderate. There is worry he would attract pro Hamas protestors at the Chicago convention.

Just asking, Would Americans vote for a Jew who might become President in 2028. I didn't think that possible in America?