Thai Embassy in Japan?

As a US citizen I'll be visiting Japan at the end of my most recent ED visa. I was thinking of getting a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy there instead of doing a stop in Vientiane. Does anyone have experience getting a tourist visa at the Japanese embassies? I'm wondering how hard it is.

Edited by Hal65

50 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

. I was thinking of getting a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy there instead of doing a stop in Vientiane.

As pointed out above...

Even if you were currently in Vientiane you wouldn't bother obtaining SETV, you would enter visa exempt as currently you receive a 60 day stamp. 

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

As a US citizen I'll be visiting Japan at the end of my most recent ED visa. I was thinking of getting a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy there instead of doing a stop in Vientiane. Does anyone have experience getting a tourist visa at the Japanese embassies? I'm wondering how hard it is.

I got one but it was back in '92.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I'll be visiting Japan ...

The last report I read, years ago, the Thai consulate in Japan did not handle applications for non-residents of Japan - unless I am mis-remembering.  I would suggest contacting them first.

17 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

The last report I read, years ago, the Thai consulate in Japan did not handle applications for non-residents of Japan - unless I am mis-remembering.  I would suggest contacting them first.

My understanding is that to obtain a tourist visa for Thailand you need to be Japanese citizen or have permanent residence status if applying in Japan