Thailand eases visa rules to attract long-term visitors

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“These new regulations are part of our ongoing efforts to make Thailand more accessible and welcoming to international visitors and long-term residents.”

The changes reflect Thailand’s commitment to boosting tourism and making the country an attractive destination for retirees,

Nice to hear after 9 years of being viewed as a criminal because I stay here year 'round.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Are there any checks on who is actually coming into the country regarding their past?

I'm not worried for myself, just a little concerned that this move opens the floodgates to anyone and everyone from cartel members to Tories and Republicans.

Colombian burglary gangs and Peruvian pick pocket gangs are licking their chops.

No, I am not saying all Colombian and Peruvians are like this, but those sub sectors are very real.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

New visa regulations issued by Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs have made it significantly easier to visit and stay in the country long-term. The number of countries eligible for visa-free entry has increased from 57 to 93, now including India and China.

Tourists and digital nomads will thank you.. as will the scum of the earth wanting to come and commit crime.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2024 at 1:38 PM, Ulyssesamui said:

This is an interesting development. 
I have just renewed my Retirement visa for the 9th time. I needed a minimum of Tb800,000 in the bank for three months prior to the application, and this must be held for some time after. I needed health insurance (notarised as it is a foreign policy). I needed a letter from the bank, which is only acceptable if issued on the day of application, and a medical examination and certificate. That is not to mention a photo in front of my house showing the house number, a Google Map showing my house location and a sketch map of the same. I further needed a lease agreement and a copy of the house book. Finally, a copy of all 66 pages of my passport. I also required a multi-entry visa stamp as I travel often. I still need to register with immigration 60 days after entering Thailand. Cost Tb5700.00.
I now read for Tb10,000 I can get a DTV for 5 years multi-enty and unlimited entries to the Kingdom. This does not make any sense. Surely, Immigration should now extend the 5-year visa designation to all those on a Retirement Visa?

Which province?

I have just renewed my Retirement visa for the 9th time. I needed a minimum of Tb800,000 in the bank for three months prior to the application, and this must be held for some time after. I needed health insurance (notarised as it is a foreign policy). I needed a letter from the bank, which is only acceptable if issued on the day of application, and a medical examination and certificate. That is not to mention a photo in front of my house showing the house number, a Google Map showing my house location and a sketch map of the same. I further needed a lease agreement and a copy of the house book. Finally, a copy of all 66 pages of my passport. I also required a multi-entry visa stamp as I travel often. I still need to register with immigration 60 days after entering Thailand. Cost Tb5700.00.
I now read for Tb10,000 I can get a DTV for 5 years multi-enty and unlimited entries to the Kingdom. This does not make any sense. Surely, Immigration should now extend the 5-year visa designation to all those on a Retirement Visa?

For Retirement renewal, one must have had 800k in the bank 2 months prior and 3 months after, The rest of the time it can be 400k, but never dropped below that. Or 65k each month, or a Combination totalling 800k.

No medical, photos or passport copies, multi-entry stamp needed. Well not at my IO in Phitsanulok.

• Like 1

What ease of rules?? no more 90 days report and address reporting??  Get visa longer than 1 year extension? less money for retirees to keep in bankaccounts or who have bought/rented houses here?? Less paperwork?? I think the same as always a lot of rumor about nothing, just as the tax reduction of the wine... still the same prices, this year possible gay marriage which will be surely be delayed to next year and alcohol sales hours will never disappear 

• Agree 1

60 pages, that's a lot, that has advantages and disadvantages,my passport has only 31 pages so considerably fewer copies. to make, but yes if it remains valid for 10 years you have the chance of it being stamped full before it expires.
By the way you forget to mention that wine has not yet been reduced in price, maybe you don't drink wine.

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

For Retirement renewal, one must have had 800k in the bank 2 months prior and 3 months after, The rest of the time it can be 400k, but never dropped below that. Or 65k each month, or a Combination totalling 800k.

No medical, photos or passport copies, multi-entry stamp needed. Well not at my IO in Phitsanulok.

That is just at the moment, but this being Thailand, things can change particularly where Thai Immigration is concerned.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

That is just at the moment, but this being Thailand, things can change particularly where Thai Immigration is concerned.

Like UK, where they were going to send illegals to Rwanda, now not. 

OK, I admit that in UK it was a change of Government whereas here it's the same lot simply changing their collective mind.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Thailand wants new long term residents, but is also planning to tax them. That is going to discourage long time residents.

It sounds like no one is in charge.

The Lunatics are running the Asylum 

On 7/27/2024 at 5:30 AM, watchcat said:

And stop the silly 90 day reports......

Indeed silly 90 days and when you come back from a holiday abroad you have to do again an address notification....even if you live in the same house for more than 15 years, extend all the time your visa in the same address. I am always wondering what is the need of it??

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed silly 90 days and when you come back from a holiday abroad you have to do again an address notification....even if you live in the same house for more than 15 years, extend all the time your visa in the same address. I am always wondering what is the need of it??

There's no need of it for expats who stays in the same house for decades.  But most people are "tourists" and move frequently where there should be a reason for checking up on them. And it should (for expats) be enough once per year to hand in the document together with your yearly extension.

3 hours ago, watchcat said:

There's no need of it for expats who stays in the same house for decades.  But most people are "tourists" and move frequently where there should be a reason for checking up on them. And it should (for expats) be enough once per year to hand in the document together with your yearly extension.

My immigration office needs a adrdress notification.....and they stamp it although I am not a tourist for a long time