Olympics sabotage: French trains targeted in coordinated attack

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-07-26-143619-1.jpg

Hours before the much-anticipated opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics, French rail company SNCF revealed that its high-speed network has been deliberately targeted by malicious acts intended to cripple the system.

Several high-speed TGV lines to the west, north, and east of Paris have been hit, leading to significant queues at Montparnasse station, which serves destinations to the west of the capital. Transport Minister Patrice Vergriete has strongly condemned these acts, emphasising the disruption to holiday plans.

Sports Minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra described the attacks as “downright appalling.”

“The impact on public and Olympic athletes is currently being assessed.”

With over 300,000 spectators expected in Paris for Friday’s opening ceremony, which features thousands of Olympic athletes sailing down the River Seine, the timing could not be worse.

SNCF has reported fires set to damage its facilities, with sources close to the investigation confirming to AFP news agency that the incidents involved sabotage. While no group has claimed responsibility, the coordinated nature of the attacks has raised significant concern.

The disruption has led to numerous train cancellations, with SNCF warning that the chaos could last at least all weekend while repairs are conducted. Some high-speed services have been diverted onto other lines, creating a ripple effect that is impacting additional services.

As the city braces for the Olympic spectacle, the focus now shifts to repairing the damage and ensuring the safe transport of spectators and athletes, reported BBC News.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Getty Images via BBC News

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-07-26

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

I would imagine this is very worrying for the French authorities. 

For the first time the opening ceremony is taking place completely in the open, not in an enclosed stadium that is relatively easy to police.

I believe about 6 kilometres of the Seine is being used as a floating platform for the athletes.

A sabotage attack, shock horror. Nothing like that was expected was it? After all, France is a peaceful nation and has no enemies, isn't that so?

I mean, they'd never support the killing of thousands of children, or give loads of cash and weapons to one side of a war, would they?

Tell me it ain't so.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It ought to be shoot on sight on the high speed lines, one accident there would cost hundreds of lives as seen by the high speed train accident in Germany some years back.

How many soldiers or police do you think it would take to protect the thousands of km of French railways?

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A sabotage attack, shock horror. Nothing like that was expected was it? After all, France is a peaceful nation and has no enemies, isn't that so?

I mean, they'd never support the killing of thousands of children, or give loads of cash and weapons to one side of a war, would they?

Tell me it ain't so.

that old drivel again

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

that old drivel again

Your usual non response posing as relevant I see. Anything to say about the topic as opposed to myself? If unsure what the topic is it's at the top of the page, and it doesn't include me in it.

8 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The West is going to need to be as united as possible in the face of Russian aggression.

and just how exactly are "we" going to involved in this "fortress west", in your opinion?

Given we invited millions of people opposed to our culture to come and live among us, it's a bit late to be thinking of raising the drawbridge.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and just how exactly are "we" going to involved in this "fortress west", in your opinion?

Given we invited millions of people opposed to our culture to come and live among us, it's a bit late to be thinking of raising the drawbridge.

textbook example of the application of the Ruzzian textbook of propaganda, 2024 edition.

your superiors must be proud of you.

the Olgino location has been closed, where did they transfer to ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You missed my point entirely. My point is that racial and national identity politics undermine social cohesion.

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

You missed my point entirely. My point is that racial and national identity politics undermine social cohesion.

Fair enough,but I think social cohesion is as dead as the Dodo. We seem to be a collection of individuals sort of getting along was well as can be expected, but the idea that we will ever put aside our individuality to work as a united nation left the building long ago, IMO.

It's the "me" generation, and there is no "us" in me.

10 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

Daily Caller again? Probably the worst media outlet ever. Stunning you are drawn to it.

Funny. I say the same thing about CNN and MSDNC.

But I still link to them if they beat the right wing rags to the story.  Usually, they're hours behind. Sometimes days, waiting for their talking points from the DNC.

Just now, impulse said:

Funny. I say the same thing about CNN and MSDNC.

But I still link to them if they beat the right wing rags to the story.  Usually, they're hours behind. Sometimes days, waiting for their talking points from the DNC.

Drank the kool-aid. Daily Caller is a bizarre site for misinformation. Luckily. Most of your links get removed. For good reasons

• Agree 1

'The Sun' stated that a far left group had claimed responsibility although that is yet to be confirmed.

No one has any idea what particular cause the saboteurs were espousing so what was the point? The only thing these acts achieved was to inconvenience the public for no apparent reason.