Tyres: All Season or Summer

As the size I need is limited to one choice in Thailand (245/55/18) I am looking at bringing a set of tires back from the UK in September (our baggage allowance will cover the shipping cost). Not sure whether to go with All Seasons or Summer. I think All Seasons will be better for heavy rain. Some risk involved as you need a licence to import tires but I am hoping that as they are for personal use I will just have to pay import duty and VAT at Suvarnabhumi.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

you are trolling, aren't you?

No. Only option in Thailand are Kumho HP71s.

https://www.kumhothailand.net/product/ยางรถยนต์hp71/

They are a decent tire but I would prefer a premium brand.

About 5 years ago I could not find a space saver wheel/tyre in Thailand for my wife's X1 so bought one in the UK and paid import duty/VAt at Suvarnabhumi

Edited by pj123
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, motdaeng said:

you are trolling, aren't you?

It surely must be. I spent the last year OCDing as it was time to get new tires. I swear Thailand has to be top 5 country in terms of tire choice, there are so many brands. Finally after so much (too much?) pondering got a set of Bridgestone A/T A002 265/65R17...Excellent choice. That you canot find tires is amazing....is that an unusual size?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jvs said:

Premium tire like this?

https://www.tyres-thailand.com/michelin-pilot-sport-4-emt-255-45-zr18-99w--241686

i just looked and this size is available here,no problem.

Different brands also.

They may be called tyres-thailand but they dont ship to Thailand, only to Germany, Luxembourg and Cyprus. Thai online stores, Tyreplus, Bquik, mmsbosch, cockpit, auto1 do not stock this size.

Edited by pj123

Summer Tyre are better in rain and the hot weather in Thailand. All Seasons will not perform well with breaking and wear down faster. They are made of softer rubber to perform in colder weather too. Just read some tests then you know. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CHdiver said:

Summer Tyre are better in rain and the hot weather in Thailand. All Seasons will not perform well with breaking and wear down faster. They are made of softer rubber to perform in colder weather too. Just read some tests then you know. 

IMO that more pliable compound mix is what gives them good grip on wet roads...out south east here that matterts a lot. Bridgestone totally rule out here in terms of number of trucks they are on, very good in wet weather

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 8:45 PM, kuma said:

IMO that more pliable compound mix is what gives them good grip on wet roads...out south east here that matterts a lot. Bridgestone totally rule out here in terms of number of trucks they are on, very good in wet weather

Thank you both for your comments. Grip in the wet is the most important for me.

On 7/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, CHdiver said:

What's all this BS about. None of my tyres have ever broken, and the last lot I got over 80,000 km from them, Maxxiss. Same for whatever the season is, you simply drive according to the road conditions.

Now up in Scandi & Switzerland, Winter tyres had metal spikes embedded into them. 

• Agree 2

On 7/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, pj123 said:

our baggage allowance will cover the shipping cost

My baggage allowance doesn't even cover my wife's 'carry on'.

Are you first class with Qatar?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What's all this BS about. None of my tyres have ever broken

Sorry, that was meant if you brake (nothing to do with tyre that will break apart) typo on my side, sorry. So, an All Season will mostly have a longer braking distance. 

On 8/2/2024 at 7:13 PM, KannikaP said:

You must be joking.

Yea if biz class it very well good, maybe have to use some points to top up?

On 7/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, pj123 said:

As the size I need is limited to one choice in Thailand (245/55/18) I am looking at bringing a set of tires back from the UK in September (our baggage allowance will cover the shipping cost). Not sure whether to go with All Seasons or Summer. I think All Seasons will be better for heavy rain. Some risk involved as you need a licence to import tires but I am hoping that as they are for personal use I will just have to pay import duty and VAT at Suvarnabhumi.

On which vehicle will these tyres be fitted?

What is the weight of 4/5 tyres?

Edited by KannikaP

IMG_20240810_172744.thumb.jpg.ddfce9ceadb8958c7828850bd37f25f1.jpg

On 8/1/2024 at 7:55 PM, pj123 said:

Thank you both for your comments. Grip in the wet is the most important for me.

Not sure the size range they have but I bought new Bridgestone Dueler AT A002...265/65R17...pickup size. Excellent tire it looks like, same grip characteristics as Dueler 684 II but a heavier tire with bigger lugs and more footprint, but still road quiet. Very happy so far

On 8/2/2024 at 7:16 PM, KannikaP said:

What's all this BS about. None of my tyres have ever broken, and the last lot I got over 80,000 km from them, Maxxiss. Same for whatever the season is, you simply drive according to the road conditions.

Now up in Scandi & Switzerland, Winter tyres had metal spikes embedded into them. 

I agree Maxis tyres cheap n cheerful, tyres in Thailand are only recommended for 4 yrs anyway because of the UV, no matter how much tread is on them, I always use a tire silicon to protect them and keep the car parked in the shade at home. Just hope the snow stays away................:giggle:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, brianthainess said:

I agree Maxis tyres cheap n cheerful, tyres in Thailand are only recommended for 4 yrs anyway because of the UV, no matter how much tread is on them, I always use a tire silicon to protect them and keep the car parked in the shade at home. Just hope the snow stays away................:giggle:

The shade is a good idea, so the same ..but my understanding is all those tire treatments only reduce tire life,drying out the compound if used repeatedly so not sure about that part

Bought some Bridgestone AT002... excellent tire with very good grip in dry and wet...which is very important out Trat way, the rain is intense.

4 hours ago, kuma said:

but my understanding is all those tire treatments only reduce tire life,drying out the compound if used repeatedly so not sure about that part

Not all of those treatments are harmful, those that contain oil are, water based ones are fine. 

On 7/28/2024 at 2:22 PM, pj123 said:

No. Only option in Thailand are Kumho HP71s.

https://www.kumhothailand.net/product/ยางรถยนต์hp71/

They are a decent tire but I would prefer a premium brand.

About 5 years ago I could not find a space saver wheel/tyre in Thailand for my wife's X1 so bought one in the UK and paid import duty/VAt at Suvarnabhumi

Any normal person would chuck the space saver wheel in the skip