What's the difference between a coffee plunger and drip coffee - and which is best ?

16 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

The best coffee I have ever had was made in a vacuum pot similar to this one on Amazon. Mine was an old one made of Pyrex and I left it on the heat too long and it exploded. I think the new glass is safer.

I had never heard of these vacuum pots before, and your post got my interest.

Thing is I'm a little clumsy and handling something glass like that first thing in the morning, well, the thing probably wouldn't last a week.  Same reason I don't have a glass bong.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

4,000 baht cough cough

yes,  there's no way in hell I'd spend 4,000baht on making coffee .... but each to his own. 

my expresso/Latte machine cost 1,000 baht if I remember correct, and it makes excellent Latte...

Edited by steven100

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,  there's no way in hell I'd spend 4,000baht on making coffee .... but each to his own. 

my expresso/Latte machine cost 1,000 baht if I remember correct, and it makes excellent Latte...

To be fair latte is a glass of milk with a little bit of coffee, it does not mean that it does make good espresso or coffee. But if you are happy with it that's great.

Edited by msbkk

7 minutes ago, msbkk said:

To be fair latte is a glass of milk with a little bit of coffee, it does not mean that it does make good espresso or coffee. But if you are happy with it that's great.

Latte is the same coffee as an Americano just milk rather than water

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, msbkk said:

yes,  but how you make your expresso and then latte is important,  also obviously the choice of ground coffee is the crucial ingredient.  I've never used a Mokapot so I can't comment on how good they are.  

16 hours ago, bendejo said:

When I was a wee lad this was the kind of pot Italians used to make espresso at home.

how_to_brew_coffee_with_a_neapolitan_coffee_maker.webp.a879d7c1750970c873be3f2118b3521a.webp

Thats not an espresso - it small cup of coffee produced through a moka-pot.

Espresso is a shot of coffee pulled through fine grinds extracting coffee at high pressure (usually around 130 psi) - Moka-pots can't achieve such pressure.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats not an espresso - it small cup of coffee produced through a moka-pot.

Espresso is a shot of coffee pulled through fine grinds extracting coffee at high pressure (usually around 130 psi) - Moka-pots can't achieve such pressure.

I love it that these mokapot's with 22 psi are so cheap at 150-300 baht, good machines costs 100k+

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,  but how you make your expresso and then latte is important,  also obviously the choice of ground coffee is the crucial ingredient.  I've never used a Mokapot so I can't comment on how good they are.  

Moka-pots are decent IMO - they make a good 'longer' cup of coffee.

BUT, they don't make Latté, as this is made with espresso - contrary to what some may suggest, its not simply adding frothy milk to regular coffee (moka-pot of every strong french press coffee).

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Moka-pots are decent IMO - they make a good 'longer' cup of coffee.

BUT, they don't make Latté, as this is made with espresso - contrary to what some may suggest, its not simply adding frothy milk to regular coffee (moka-pot of every strong french press coffee).

I'd never try to make a latte with a mokapot but if you go to any good coffee shop the latte is the same coffee as an americano but with milk, now the milk part is a skill for sure, i only know 3 shops that get it right

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I love it that these mokapot's with 22 psi are so cheap at 150-300 baht, good machines costs 100k+

Agree - In comparison to Espresso machines, moka-pot's are far more economically viable. 

My Espresso Machine was 3x,xxx baht (can't remember exactly) and its not even a high end one (Breville Barista Pro), I have not once regretted once buying it - it makes great espresso (but takes some work to dial in).

... the difference being the Espresso machine makes coffee I 'look forwards' to having every morning whereas the Moka-pot and french-press make coffee I 'just have' in the morning (when I am not at home to use my espresso machine).

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd never try to make a latte with a mokapot but if you go to any good coffee shop the latte is the same coffee as an americano but with milk, now the milk part is a skill for sure, i only know 3 shops that get it right

Yup - getting that milk the right texture is difficult.....  I struggle with my steam wand to make the tight textured perfectly silky milk froth - I've actually wondered if its down the the milk I get (navy blue top Meiji)...

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

the difference being the Espresso machine makes coffee I 'look forwards' to having every morning whereas the Moka-pot and french-press make coffee I 'just have' in the morning (when I am not at home to use my espresso machine).

It's taken me a while to dial in the moka pot with the right coffee, took lots of blending trial and error. I'm glad that it isn't as good as the very good coffee shops i go to makes them more special

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Yup - getting that milk the right texture is difficult.....  I struggle with my steam wand to make the tight textured perfectly silky milk froth - I've actually wondered if its down the the milk I get (navy blue top Meiji)...

Milk is important, i got a shop to change brand so it was the same as another shop that made perfect latte's 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's taken me a while to dial in the moka pot with the right coffee, took lots of blending trial and error. I'm glad that it isn't as good as the very good coffee shops i go to makes them more special

Good point - its nice to have an excellent cuppa and something to look forwards too...  Just like a really good beer.

It could be a decent thread for those who enjoy coffee - which is the best coffee you've consumed in Thailand (coffee shops) ?.... 

... I have often found that the coffee in many shops is not as good as the coffee I have at home...  obviously price comes into it for a business.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Milk is important, i got a shop to change brand so it was the same as another shop that made perfect latte's 

Which brand ?...  I've read on this forum that Meiji gold makes a decent 'froth' but I have not yet tried it.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have often found that the coffee in many shops is not as good as the coffee I have at home...  obviously price comes into it for a business.

Yeah some try to get away with cheap coffee, you can tell straight away. Some don't really understand often don't drink it so i tell them sometimes and they change brands 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which brand ?...  I've read on this forum that Meiji gold makes a decent 'froth' but I have not yet tried it.

Think it was Meiji but I'm not 100% as it was 6 months ago, try different milks until you get it perfect, or i ask if they've made perfect coffee

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

image.png.a0075c1b72442680d5a9beb8f3a9e75f.png

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Latte is the same coffee as an Americano just milk rather than water

Yes, but in Latte you cannot really taste if the coffee is good as the taste is very diluted in the milk. With an Americano or Espresso you can taste the difference in quality of the coffee beans as well as the quality of the machine.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, steven100 said:

image.png.a0075c1b72442680d5a9beb8f3a9e75f.png

Meiji dark blue top is whole milk... 

But, some brands are better than others - it could also be related to how fresh the milk is and how it's processed.

Though coffee shops do make better foam, I rarely drink coffee from coffee shops so have lost a frame of reference. 

Equally, so, its also related to my expectation of how tight the foam is and how silky the texture, perhaps the wand on my machine cannot achieve this or I have consistently failing in the technique - I've watched plenty of vids thought. 

As for Latté art - its not something I'm bothered with in the slightest.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, msbkk said:

Yes, but in Latte you cannot really taste if the coffee is good as the taste is very diluted in the milk. With an Americano or Espresso you can taste the difference in quality of the coffee beans as well as the quality of the machine.

Possibly, but i definitely prefer a good latte over a good americano, if the latte isn't good i opt for americano with hot milk separate 

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Meiji dark blue top is whole milk... 

But, some brands are better than others - it could also be related to how fresh the milk is and how it's processed.

Though coffee shops do make better foam, I rarely drink coffee from coffee shops so have lost a frame of reference. 

Equally, so, its also related to my expectation of how tight the foam is and how silky the texture, perhaps the wand on my machine cannot achieve this or I have consistently failing in the technique - I've watched plenty of vids thought. 

As for Latté art - its not something I'm bothered with in the slightest.

Yes,    a good Latte is made up of good fresh milk, not too frothy,  and not too thick or heavy on top of the coffee, just a thin layer 3-4mm,   one should be able to taste the coffee as fresh, vibrant, not to bitter... and not too acidic but have a pleasant bite to it.    that's my take anyway ....  

The latte art is not even warranted.      

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 2:07 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I recommend a moka pot, this one is better than my other two traditional moka pots, just better design. Lot's of youtube videos available. Much better than french press, and i didn't rate drip coffee years ago

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.LEbjr

Screenshot_2024-07-30-16-06-37-785_com.lazada.android.jpg

It's a percolator.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/31/2024 at 5:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

perfect distribution of pour, from a specially designed hot water pot (long thin curved spout) that easier to control and pours the hot water evenly over all the coffee in the 'filter'... 

Thought I'd come back and give you some credit, which should be refreshing around here. I decided it's not much more trouble to pay attention to the pour while I'm standing at the counter preparing breakfast anyway. I'd of course known about this, but was too lazy to do it. So I've started doing so w/ my measuring cup, and the coffee does taste significantly better. I probably won't bother if I just make a quick cuppa during the day.

• Thanks 1