Thai Tax on UK pensions

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Unless you can enlighten us with a valid reason on why the UK state pension would not be covered by the DTA, I will go by what the DTA actually says.

The DTA is completely silent on UK state pensions. And, as already shown, it is not a government pension in light of DTA language, which says the pension must be paid for services rendered to the govt.

So, not a whole lot of help from the DTA. In fact, the UK-Thai DTA doesn't even have an Article on "Other Income," as most other DTAs have, which addresses income not specifically addressed in any of the Articles. However the conclusion in the US Article on "Other Income" is that, "generally such income is taxable only in the country of residence." Not much positive help for Brits on their state pension, should their DTA have a "Other Income" Article with a similar conclusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The date of 2024 is not mine. 
do please read the complete post before making corrections to other people’s posts and claiming them to be from me.

Apologies!   

Edited by CharlieKo
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's a copy of the 1981 UK-Thailand double taxation treaty, which I believe is still the version in force. As you can see, it's mainly related to business activities of one sort or another. I guess 40-odd years ago, the small number of British pensioners living in Thailand at the time didn't merit much consideration.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a80bddc40f0b623026953eb/uk-thailand-dtc180281_-_in_force.pdf

17 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That is not correct. The state pension is not taxed at source. However if the recipient's income exceeds the personal tax free allowance of £12,570 then it will be subject to tax.

I know. this for sure. I pay tax on mine.

So you are correctly saying that the UK State Pension does not come over the 12570 tax free limit = 241 per week. But you are taxed on any extra income which tips it over that limit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

I was looking at TNT 9(Tim Newton Today ) on youtube yesterday and for the edition of July 5th he quotes an article in the Pattaya newspaper, it might be worth going and having a look at this. The article says that pensions will not be taxed in Thailand and also that any money brought into Thailand before 31st December 2024 i will also not be taxed. We were waiting for clarification in July is this what we were waiting for?

I haven't looked at this article, (not yet) but I have come across 3 references that suggest that us pensioners need not be concerned about this new ruling.

Neither are authoritative but they are clear indicators. 

You'll find them here here and here

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Before spending money on professional advice, or worrying over much, wait until the situation clarifies. 

Best advice so far,  but do plan for the worst, don't get caught short when returns are due in March 2025, as late payment can be costly.

Worst case for you on 80k a month would be 75K annual tax bill, payable in 3 x 25K installments March 25, April 25, May 25.

Maybe a bit less if you have wife/kids/insurances. And of course a credit on proof of tax being paid in UK.

I'm not saying this will be the case, but it is at least a worst case!

Edited by Satcommlee

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

You are quite correct in that BobKK. It is classed as  benefit. Which is why successive governments of the past 70+ years, refuse to increase them to certain countries.

That is to do with the Social Security Act,  not the DTA.

Only a certain mentality would believe that when the DTA was drawn up that the UK would give up the right to be the sole beneficiary of the tax collected on the UK state pension.

• Confused 1

State Pensions:-

1. Are not considered a Government Pension, these are things like Civil Service & Military etc, not the pension of your average Joe. 
  2. Are taxed, it's just that they're the 1st thing that's added to your total income so are covered by your Personal Allowance which is considered taxed at 0%.  

All of that is irrelevant to the OP though as the UK tax he's paying on the equivalent of 80K THB pm would be higher than what he would owe in Thailand & the DTA means he can offset UK Tax on income so nothing to pay. 

I did the maths on 84K pm for somebody who only had the 60K personal allowance & 100K "Expense" allowance & it came to <1,000 THB owed, the fact that his military pension is not Taxable in Thailand means that he's way below the point where he would owe Tax here even without his other allowances (e.g. the 195K > 65 allowance). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, sandyf said:

That is to do with the Social Security Act,  not the DTA.

Only a certain mentality would believe that when the DTA was drawn up that the UK would give up the right to be the sole beneficiary of the tax collected on the UK state pension.

The UK has 1st dibs on taxing State Pension (but as it's below the basic personal allowance doesn't get anything from it) so they're not giving up any rights.  I'm sure if they were to update the DTA today, State Pension would be exempt but as things stand it is considered Assessable Income in Thailand.   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The only mention of pensions in the UK/THAILAND DOUBLE TAXATION CONVENTION is in Article 19 Governmental Services  section 2 a 

Do note that anything not explicitly defined and written in the DTC is not covered by the DTC

The misunderstanding that the U.K. state pension is governed by the DTC is yours and your misreading or misunderstanding of what is written 

NB that does not apply to Thai citizens living in Thailand 

The statement "Any pension paid by the Contracting State" is  followed by the word "or"

Are we to take it that you are stating quite categorically that the UK state pension is not a pension or not paid by the state.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Unless you can enlighten us with a valid reason on why the UK state pension would not be covered by the DTA, I will go by what the DTA actually says.

I strongly suspect that the most valid reason on why the UK State Pension would not be covered by the DTA is that there is no Article specifically mentioning it in the DTA!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, topt said:

I think any lack of understanding on this is yours. Been discussed more times than I care to remember.

Have a look in the digest link below and go to page 34 - Thailand - and read note 4 on the far right hand side.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/710099/DT_Digest_April_2018.pdf

This statement from your link is fairly clear, "It" being the state pension.

" It is based on National Insurance contributions (NICs) and relief from UK income tax is available under the terms of many, but not all, double taxation treaties. "

Why didn't you post the link that states Thailand is not one of the "many"?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

And, as already shown, it is not a government pension in light of DTA language, which says the pension must be paid for services rendered to the govt.

I never said it was a government pension, I said it was a pension paid by the government.

Obviously you never bothered to read that.

The DTA does not say " the pension must be paid for services rendered to the govt."

That statement comes after the word "or".

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Unamerican said:

Mine is! (as I have large SERPS extras).

Just not “at source”:

the tax (a lot!) is collected by deductions (paye) on other income sources.  

Be careful posting, your post appears as a misquote.

I accept it is easily done.

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The UK has 1st dibs on taxing State Pension (but as it's below the basic personal allowance doesn't get anything from it) so they're not giving up any rights.  I'm sure if they were to update the DTA today, State Pension would be exempt but as things stand it is considered Assessable Income in Thailand.   

Your are wrong.  The state pension is taxable, not at source but lumped with other income to determine liability.

Why haven't you backed up this claim.

" but as things stand it is considered Assessable Income in Thailand."

Many seem to think they know the answers, but reluctant to substantiate.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

This statement from your link is fairly clear, "It" being the state pension.

" It is based on National Insurance contributions (NICs) and relief from UK income tax is available under the terms of many, but not all, double taxation treaties. "

Why didn't you post the link that states Thailand is not one of the "many"?

I have no idea why you are deflecting - I pointed you to a specific place in that document that states -

4. Treaty does not include an article dealing with DT-Company Non-Government pensions. Also, no relief for State Pension or ‘trivial commutation lump sum’.

In case you have forgotten this was in reply to this post of yours -

I have seen many non UK nationals make various misinformed comments regarding the state pension,  this being a common one. I just put it down to a lack of understanding.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I strongly suspect that the most valid reason on why the UK State Pension would not be covered by the DTA is that there is no Article specifically mentioning it in the DTA!

The DTA states

"Any pension paid by the Contracting State or a political subdivision or a local authority thereof to any individual in respect of services of a governmental nature rendered to that State or subdivision or local authority thereof shall be taxable only in that State."

The term  "Any pension" appears fairly clear to me and I fail to understand why so many are looking for reasons why they should be taxed..

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The DTA states

"Any pension paid by the Contracting State or a political subdivision or a local authority thereof to any individual in respect of services of a governmental nature rendered to that State or subdivision or local authority thereof shall be taxable only in that State."

The term  "Any pension" appears fairly clear to me and I fail to understand why so many are looking for reasons why they should be taxed..

So precisely "what services of a governmental nature rendered to that (Contracting) State or subdivision or local authority thereof" have been provided by State Pensioners as a prerequisite to their receiving the State Pension? I await your reply with bated breath!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1