Restaurant Industry Faces Over 50% Drop in Spending, Urges Govt for Immediate Stimulus

20 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes, you would think, as do I. Indians tend to eat in Indian food in general, there are plenty of Indian restaurants around.

The Chinese, I have never seen eating in a restaurant,or in a bar so where do they eat?

I don't see many Russians in Thai restaurants, I mainly see Europeans, Americans, Australians and Brits!

Follow the tour buses: parked  by the dozen on Jomtien Second Road at all those mass-feeding buffet places. Big open-air sheds, 200+ tables. Packed out. That's the Chinese.

Apart from that, the market should sort it out. Those with a solid business plan and a decent location will survive. Why these so-called business associations always cry for help from the government is beyond me. When the going is good, have these associations ever volunteered a higher tax or revenue contribution to government coffers? Never. But suddenly their sector's financial problems are supposed to be off-loaded onto the broader community via tax relief or subsidies or crude handouts. Ridiculous! 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Have you checked out potential 7/11 take out sales ? Tourists are savvy these days, 

I was pretty impressed with the selection when I was out and about after normal restaurant/ street food hours last week.  I wouldn't want to live solely on a 7/11 diet, but they did have some very acceptable offerings.  Well prepared, and fresh.

Come to think of it, between street food and 7/11, I didn't visit a single sit-down restaurant during the 5 day visit.  Except Friday night when I got together with some young-ish Thai workmates.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Serves them right.

And it is going to get worse once RD steals 860k/year from me..

Become non resident for taxes. Get out of Thailand for 186 days a year (179 days or less resident means non-resident for taxes and no tax to pay). It sounds as though you bring over 3 million baht or so a year, so buying somewhere else and spending less time in Thailand is legal and might save you some money. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 2:25 PM, mikeymike100 said:

Yes, you would think, as do I. Indians tend to eat in Indian food in general, there are plenty of Indian restaurants around.

The Chinese, I have never seen eating in a restaurant,or in a bar so where do they eat?

I don't see many Russians in Thai restaurants, I mainly see Europeans, Americans, Australians and Brits!

most Chinese come in groups so they tend to have special deals with certain restaurants.  

• Agree 1

Well there will be even less funds to spend on restaurants with the Thai RD scoping up Farang's taxation from repatriated funds to Thailand and all their associated income earnings from all over the globe.

Maybe the recent gold bars sized and confiscated will help stimulate the government's coffers to bailout poor performing restaurants.  

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 5:56 AM, John Drake said:

I don't understand, with all the Chinese, Indians, and Russians coming in for 60 days visa free, those restaurants should be packed.

Perhaps they only eat borscht made at home?

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:58 PM, kingstonkid said:

most Chinese come in groups so they tend to have special deals with certain restaurants.  

Around where I live it's the buffet places, the locals tend to know which ones they are so they avoid them, 

On 8/2/2024 at 1:15 PM, hotchilli said:

The 10k revolution is coming... hang on.

Srettha promised it would solve everything.

He just needs to go to the bottom of the garden and ask the fairies and gnomes, gremlins & all, where they have hidden the money for it. .........🌈

On 8/2/2024 at 12:56 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Serves them right.

And it is going to get worse once RD steals 860k/year from me..

Please explain why will they Steal your money ? 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

That slop he's holding doesn't look too appetizing,   I think I'll get the bangers & mash instead .... 

His push bike looks ok though nice touch for  high end restaurant........:whistling:

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

You must be new on Aseannow...

No I am not but you still can't Explain ! Does being an old member of AN mean the RD steal your money.............................................................................:coffee1::giggle:

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No I am not but you still can't Explain ! Does being an old member of AN mean the RD steal your money.............................................................................:coffee1::giggle:

So you've never heard about Income tax? There have been about 20000 post about the TRD  foreign money grab.  Which can cost anyone on  an average income from 500k to 800k.

Edited by Ben Zioner

On 8/2/2024 at 1:28 PM, RichardColeman said:

Have you checked out potential 7/11 take out sales ? Tourists are savvy these days, 

You beat me to it. In a lot of those stores tourists buying snacks, microwave dinners, sandwiches, etc. can be seen. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

So you've never heard about Income tax? There have been about 20000 post about the TRD  foreign money grab.  Which can cost anyone on  an average income from 500k to 800k.

Of course I have heard of it but it has not yet been implemented, they or anybody else can not tax you twice, presuming you have already paid tax, if you haven't then it's your own fault. 

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Of course I have heard of it but it has not yet been implemented, they or anybody else can not tax you twice, presuming you have already paid tax, if you haven't then it's your own fault. 

That's nonsense, first it all depends on  DTAs, which differ from country to country. And many people have income that, pensions in most cases, that hasn't been  taxed but will be by TRD.

Therefore many good customers of the hospitality industry will just leave the country obviously. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

That's nonsense, first it all depends on  DTAs, which differ from country to country. And many people have income that, pensions in most cases, that hasn't been  taxed but will be by TRD.

Therefore many good customers of the hospitality industry will just leave the country obviously. 

But STILL has NOT been Implemented. get back to me when it has.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

But STILL has NOT been Implemented. get back to me when it has.

It is in effect since January 1, 2024. Any income earned from this date, must be declared if remitted to Thailand, whether remitted in the year of earning or not.

The part in bold being the only change.

• Like 1