Gender Row Paris Olympics Boxer Previously Barred from Women’s Events Wins in 46 seconds

Social Media

image.png.d9c73c7ba4d574b5bd3565a16998a02f.png

In a bout that has sparked widespread outrage and debate, a boxer previously barred from women’s events claimed victory after her opponent quit just 46 seconds into the match. The fight, which took place on Thursday at the 2024 Paris Olympics, has drawn criticism from high-profile figures including former President Donald Trump, Elon Musk, J.K. Rowling, and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. The core of the controversy revolves around Imane Khelif of Algeria, a boxer with a complex gender history, and her opponent, Italy’s Angela Carini.

image.png.b98122f32e219cb59aa78bab63fb2e8c.png

The match ended abruptly when Carini, after sustaining a severe blow to her nose, removed her helmet and conceded defeat. Khelif, who stands tall with bulging biceps, had previously failed two gender verification tests in March 2023, leading to a ban by the International Boxing Association (IBA) from competing against women. This ban was overturned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which allowed Khelif to compete under unspecified criteria.

image.png.916cc079ccb55efb8979537b89aae480.png

Boxing star Nicola Adams speaks out on gender row. Adams, 41, posted her views on X after Carini withdrew from her fight against Algeria's Imane Khelif just 46 seconds into the bout on Thursday. 

given her support to Angela Carini after the Italian boxer abandoned a fight against an opponent who previously failed a gender eligibility test. Adams, 41, posted her views on X on Friday after Carini withdrew from her fight against Algeria's Imane Khelif, who is a biological woman, just 46 seconds into the bout on Thursday.

The incident has been described by many as unjust and a blatant disregard for the safety and fairness of female athletes. Carini herself expressed her frustration, stating, “I quit to save my life. I couldn’t breathe anymore.” Her coach, Emanuele Renzini, revealed that many had warned her against participating, citing the danger posed by Khelif’s physical advantages. 

image.png.6c85f3a3df8a33a5e81be69542e5cfab.png

The outrage is not limited to the sporting community. Former British Prime Minister Liz Truss tweeted, "When will this madness stop?" Olympic swimmer Sharron Davies called it "a bloody disgrace," and author J.K. Rowling questioned, "What will it take to end this insanity? A female boxer left with life-altering injuries? A female boxer killed?" 

Jake Paul, honorary boxing coach for Team USA, labeled the event as "sickening" and "a travesty," emphasizing the inherent danger and unfairness of the situation. 

Khelif, who identifies as female despite having XY chromosomes, was initially barred by the IBA but was later cleared by the IOC to compete. The details of the criteria met by Khelif remain undisclosed. IOC spokesman Mark Adams defended the decision, stating, "Federations need to make the rules to make sure that there is fairness, but at the same time with the ability for everyone to take part who wants to. That’s a difficult balance."

However, many see this balance as skewed and dangerous. Sports science professor Ross Tucker compared the situation to placing a 200-pound fighter against someone weighing 130 pounds, highlighting the significant strength and power differences between male and female boxers. 

The incident has brought to light the broader issue of how sports organizations handle the participation of athletes with different gender identities. Critics argue that the current approach endangers female athletes and undermines the integrity of women’s sports. The IOC’s decision has been seen by many as prioritizing political correctness over the safety and fairness of competition.

Carini’s experience underscores the physical and emotional toll of competing under such conditions. “I’ve never taken a punch like that,” she said, reflecting on the match that left her weeping and disconsolate. Despite her evident distress, Carini refrained from criticizing Khelif’s biological advantages, likely to avoid further controversy.

Khelif, on the other hand, showed no remorse, expressing confidence and ambition for future matches. “Difficult for a first fight,” she said. “Insh’Allah [if Allah wills it] for the second fight. I need an Olympic medal here in Paris.”

The IOC’s decision to allow Khelif to fight another biological female on Saturday has only intensified the backlash. Critics argue that the organization has failed female athletes by not providing a fair and safe competitive environment. The question now is whether it will take a tragedy, such as a female athlete being seriously injured or killed, for the rules and regulations governing such competitions to be reevaluated and changed.

As the debate continues, the broader implications for women’s sports and the rights of female athletes remain a critical issue. The need for clear, fair, and safe guidelines is more pressing than ever, with many calling for an end to what they see as a dangerous and unjust approach to gender and competition in sports.

Credit: Daily Mail | NBC  2024-08-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Mark Adams of the IOC says the Games organisers are 'open to listen to anyone with a solution' to the gender eligibility issue which is dividing opinion at the Olympics and in sport generally.

It appears this individual was born with gender dysphoria, and was identified as a female from the genitalia. Whether this was because of a lack of penis is unknown. An ultrasound will show if there are internal testicles or a womb that will show if the individual is male or female. The fact that they have gone through male puberty changes suggests there are testes, also the fact that testosterone is high and having XY chromosomes indicates male.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dionigi said:

It appears this individual was born with gender dysphoria, and was identified as a female from the genitalia. Whether this was because of a lack of penis is unknown. An ultrasound will show if there are internal testicles or a womb that will show if the individual is male or female. The fact that they have gone through male puberty changes suggests there are testes, also the fact that testosterone is high and having XY chromosomes indicates male.

No gender dysphoria.

She is cisgender.

Not transgender. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

'Khelif, who identifies as female despite having XY chromosomes"

So a female can have XY chromosomes??:unsure:

Surely if she does have XY chromosomes, she is a biological male, even though she female genitilia?

You need to catch up with the science.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

Well doesn’t it suddenly get a bit nuanced.

What happened to the men have a penis, women have a virginia, two distinct genders?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Every female boxer put up against that person should save themselves the pain and refuse. That person may get a medal by default but everyone will know it's meaningless.

I call B.S.

The next women up is happy to accept the challenge.

You call her that person.
DISGUSTING.

BTW, there is also a Thai boxing lady under the same vicious attacks from ignorant extremist right wingers who don't understand that both boxers are NOT transgender.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Every female boxer put up against that person should save themselves the pain and refuse. That person may get a medal by default but everyone will know it's meaningless.

Tell us again how you defend the rights of women in sport while you can’t even address a female athlete by her true, confirmed at birth, gender.

• Sad 1

Yes a bit of a mess up but it was going to happen sooner or later.

If she is a female she is blessed with a male figure and reaping the benefits from it.

If she is a male she is boxing in the wrong class.

Some women already have said they will not fight against her but one said she will just to prove a point that she also can be beat.

Any one remember the Russian ladies in the Olympics decades ago?

I would have classified those as men,they adjusted the rules on that too.

Maybe she is born with a defect which make her both a man and a woman.

How do you deal with that?

1 minute ago, john donson said:

so the XY chromosome, does not count for anything that he could not fight in 2023?

Different event and not the same rules.

Now from my very limited experience of boxing in the Army, (donkeys years ago - because I had been a reasonable fencer, and had competed in Army championships, some wize guy put me in charge of running the regimental boxing competition, "duty required me to fight a bout" I was plastered all over the ring before the referees stopped it after one round.) the overriding principle in the sport is that opponents should be as evenly matched as is possible. This is clearly not the case here.

The IOC boxing committee got it badly wrong.

Edited by herfiehandbag

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

A classic beurocratic "cop out"!

The reason that the IOC exists is to make decisions in the interests of all competitors, not just those with a vocal backing.

The Algerian was previously banned from fighting other women by the IBA. She effectively has a male physique, which makes her participation in female boxing unfair. The IOC now bleating that they are"open to solutions" to "the gender identity issue" is pathetic. It was their decision to make. They fudged it.

FRom my understanding this (woman) has XY genes. a males genetic trait. Perhaps this is the solution to solving the gender issue. it Certainly looks like she grew up as a male. Would any of you straight men want to be her boyfriend? I know i would not. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1