Thai Army Offers Conscripts 10 Baht Meals Following Criticism

0_AJ9MxTN0efC4ZDwf.jpg

The Royal Thai Army (RTA) has introduced a meal plan costing just 10 baht per meal in response to social media criticism about the quality of conscripts' food in Bangkok. A viral video had shown disappointingly low-quality breakfasts, leading the conscript who posted it to call for improvements.

RTA spokesperson, Colonel Richa Suksuwan, confirmed that increased efforts will be put into improving both the variety of the menu and the way meals are delivered. This response comes after a video showed underwhelming meals of cucumber soup with egg and fried Chinese sausage which seemed to be mainly water.

To ensure proper management, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has set up guidelines for deducting conscripts' meal charges from their allowances and salaries. This works out to about 2,100 baht per month or around 70 baht per day, which amounts to 23 baht per meal.

Recent social media posts have pointed out the difference in meal costs between conscripts, who pay 70 baht per day, and officers at the RTA headquarters, who pay only 10 baht per meal for the same food. Meals usually consist of a variety of dishes, including soups, curries, stir-fries and a dessert.

The menu for today featured Thai papaya salad, spicy pork soup, rice with two pieces of fried chicken, and pandan noodles in coconut milk for dessert. Visitors to the RTA headquarters can also enjoy these meals for a cost of 40 baht each.

The cheap meal programme at RTA headquarters started under former RTA Commander General Wimon Wongwanich, who subsidized the meals to lessen the financial strain on military personnel. Despite increasing food costs, the RTA maintains this initiative by allocating necessary funds.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-02

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

Utterly disgusting. A pity the conscripts don't go on strike. That would certainly give the Powers a shock ...

Back in the day (12 years ago) my b/f used to climb out over the barracks walls at midnight in BKK in search of food (and other moneymaking adventures) ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, john donson said:

how many of you did 12 months? I remember... got way less then them... they get a 7/11 salary (8-10k ?)

I remember being payed peanuts, or was I caged in the zoo, same same

What Army were you in?

I enlisted in the U.S. of A. Army in July 1969.   My advanced training was at Fort Devens, Massachusetts.  My pay after deductions was about $70.00.   

I learned that I could hitchhike into Boston Friday afternoon and work for 16 hours on the weekend and earned about $120.00 a month.  The good old days!  🤪

On 8/3/2024 at 7:11 AM, mfd101 said:

Utterly disgusting. A pity the conscripts don't go on strike. That would certainly give the Powers a shock ...

Back in the day (12 years ago) my b/f used to climb out over the barracks walls at midnight in BKK in search of food (and other moneymaking adventures) ...

He was lucky they didn't find out he was gay.

On 8/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, snoop1130 said:

and officers at the RTA headquarters, who pay only 10 baht per meal for the same food. Meals usually consist of a variety of dishes, including soups, curries, stir-fries and a dessert.

And they are the ones not doing forced exercises. RTAhols 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He was lucky they didn't find out he was gay.

Everyone knew. Not a secret. These are Thai peasant boys. Half of them were gay-for-pay. That's how they made ends meet (so to speak).

• Sad 2

On 8/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, snoop1130 said:

Recent social media posts have pointed out the difference in meal costs between conscripts, who pay 70 baht per day, and officers at the RTA headquarters, who pay only 10 baht per meal for the same food. Meals usually consist of a variety of dishes, including soups, curries, stir-fries and a dessert.

I never paid a dime for a meal while on active duty in the US military.  So the Thai government conscripts a man into their military and then deducts the cost of the crappy food they feed them out of their measly wages?  There is something totally amoral about that. But - TIT.