Enter on Thai Passport leave on non-Thai passport : Is this allowed ?

17 minutes ago, flexomike said:

You can now get a ten year passport, a little extra charge,wife did it last year can't remember the cost, I don't think it was more than 1000 baht more, possibly less

You have to be 20 to get a ten year passport, the cost is B1500

25 minutes ago, flexomike said:

You can now get a ten year passport, a little extra charge,wife did it last year can't remember the cost, I don't think it was more than 1000 baht more, possibly less

See my post above..under 20 is still 5 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Noted Thanks ....(but we're in Phuket currently)

You should had applied for the extremely urgent same day passport issuance.

8:30 am to 9:30 am is the urgent window, get it same day at 2 pm

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrJoy said:

You should had applied for the extremely urgent same day passport issuance.

8:30 am to 9:30 am is the urgent window, get it same day at 2 pm

In Phuket or Bangkok ?

We're heading to Passport Office now in Phuket...

On 8/4/2024 at 3:04 PM, retarius said:

I have two passports. Arriving in a country on one passport and leaving on the other passport is not usually a problem, I have done it many times to avoid long immigration queues. Eg. arriving in the UK where there are mobs of people in the slow moving foreign line, and usually many people of colour who seem to get closer inspections, I usually go in on a my second passport. I don't think it is illegal.

I haven't done it in Thailand. Here, they mark your incoming passport with a date mark that indicates your max possible length of stay. If you try to go out on a different passport you will not have this date mark that verifies that you have not overstayed. I think in Thailand if you use this strategy, your son will have to explain the situation to the I/O. My experience of the officers is that they will not be too understanding but presumably your son can speak Thai. The other thing that occurs to me, is that someone once told me that children over a certain age (16 I was told) are not allowed dual nationality and must pick one. 

You have to leave or stamp out on the same nationality Passport you stamped in on. You can't stamp in on one nationality and out on a different one.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

You have to leave or stamp out on the same nationality Passport you stamped in on. You can't stamp in on one nationality and out on a different one.  

Many countries I visit don't stamp. In Europe I have never been stamped for the last 40 years or so. A lot of the time now you don't even show a passport. You might be right for countries that stamp. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

He's also a British citizen...

that British citizen hasn't entered Thailand legally, no entry stamps in his British passport, so expect a grilling, 

even if he got emergency travel document from British embassy, still won't have the corresponding entry in the immigration's computer 

which also raises more questions, why is this farang taking thai kids out of Thailand on emergency travel document, is there a custory dispute and he's using this method to circumvent getting thai passport which requires both parent's consent? 

you could try be honest wit the immigration at the airport, and use the British passport, showing the expired thai passport with entry stamp

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

that British citizen hasn't entered Thailand legally, no entry stamps in his British passport, so expect a grilling, 

even if he got emergency travel document from British embassy, still won't have the corresponding entry in the immigration's computer 

which also raises more questions, why is this farang taking thai kids out of Thailand on emergency travel document, is there a custory dispute and he's using this method to circumvent getting thai passport which requires both parent's consent? 

you could try be honest wit the immigration at the airport, and use the British passport, showing the expired thai passport with entry stamp

He entered Thailand on an expired passport, if it is "illegal", it is allowed!

No Custody dispute now, I have had Full Parental Control of both my kids for  many years (and their Mother lives in Aus.)

Anyway no worries now, Passport Office at Central Phuket, the staff there are super nice and helpful, processed his passport yesterday, they think it should arrive this Friday which gives us 4-5 clear working days before the flight.

4 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

He entered Thailand on an expired passport, if it is "illegal", it is allowed!

No Custody dispute now, I have had Full Parental Control of both my kids for  many years (and their Mother lives in Aus.)

Anyway no worries now, Passport Office at Central Phuket, the staff there are super nice and helpful, processed his passport yesterday, they think it should arrive this Friday which gives us 4-5 clear working days before the flight.

Thai citizen can enter on expired passport or ID card, it's their rights, nothing illegal about that, but if you didn't get the new Thai passport in time and try to leave on the British passport, that British identity has no record of entering Thailand, hence problem

the custody dispute thing is from the perspective of immigration officer, if you were to use emergency travel documents, why is this person taking their child out using convoluted process when thai passport can be issued with relative ease unless there's something fishy about the child not being able to get thai passport 

Your question can be looked on in 2 ways 🙂

answer yes:

When we come to thailand from norway, my wife use her thai passport, in norway leaving, transit amsterdam and arrival Bangkok. No problem 🙂

When leaving thailand she use her norwegian passport in bangkok, transit amsterdam to schengen, and no passport question arrival norway.

Done this last 10 years, no problems 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

answer yes:

When we come to thailand from norway, my wife use her thai passport, in norway leaving, transit amsterdam and arrival Bangkok. No problem 🙂

When leaving thailand she use her norwegian passport in bangkok, transit amsterdam to schengen, and no passport question arrival norway.

Presumably she checks in with her Norwegian passport but must show her Thai passport at immigration if that was what she entered on.

24 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

answer yes:

You sure she didn't use her Thai passport to leave Thailand, Airlines counter would ask that she has relevant visa, which then she should produces the Norwegian passport to satisfy them that she wouldn't be sent back 
Immigration would asks lots of questions if someone holding norwegian passport try to exit Thailand without having been stamped in in that passport, 

unless they 'linked' her both identity in their system already 

most people switch passport in the air and use the passport that give most benefits at the destination country at arrival

On 8/4/2024 at 4:17 AM, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Yeh agreed but he's 17 and has flown much solo !

Passports get delivered 3-5 Business days according to the Thai form which is cutting it fine!

Do you know for a fact 100% he has to leave on the same (ie Thai) passport...?

(Or actually the new replacement one)

Many, if not most, passport offices have a same day delivery in the office. There is a surcharge for this service, it was 1,000 baht a few years ago..

Leaving on a Thai passport is correct, you don't need to have entered Thailand on the same, as your son is Thai citizen and renewing his passport domestically.

On 8/4/2024 at 11:04 AM, retarius said:

that someone once told me that children over a certain age (16 I was told) are not allowed dual nationality and must pick one.

Our neighbor is Pol.Col. and his 2 sons are dual UK & TH. I asked him "how is possible to be a citizen of 2 kingdoms?" as I was also under same impression.

I think somehow that is not an issue anymore & at all.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 7:08 AM, Khyron said:

My wife received her renewed Thai passport in 3 days via RT post. This was from Khon Kaen

It should be ok to enter on Thai passport and leave on same passport, they will give you the old one back. book your flight on UK passport. If Thai IMM asks for a visa to the UK during exit, he can show the UK PP. They have seen this several times.

Never experienced Immigration in any country including Thailand asking to see a Visa for the country you are intending to visit.

Airlines yes because if you are denied entry they have to fly you back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Our neighbor is Pol.Col. and his 2 sons are dual UK & TH. I asked him "how is possible to be a citizen of 2 kingdoms?" as I was also under same impression.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Never experienced Immigration in any country including Thailand asking to see a Visa for the country you are intending to visit.

Airlines yes because if you are denied entry they have to fly you back.

4 hours ago, NativeBob said:

I have held dual nationality and passports from from the UK and Australia for almost 50 years without being questioned.

My wife has Thai/ Australian.

My daughter Thai/ Australian/UK

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 4:18 PM, retarius said:

Many countries I visit don't stamp. In Europe I have never been stamped for the last 40 years or so. A lot of the time now you don't even show a passport. You might be right for countries that stamp. 

your mincing words. USA doesnt stamp a citizen in or out but they scan the passport and thats the same thing as stamping as far as matching the database. you can not enter on a passport from 1 country and exit on a passport from another country, legally. now Im sure someone will come along and claim they paid to get around it and that can happen but thats an exception and not whats being discussed

Anyway Gents (and ladies),

Thanks for the feedback, Good news the Passport was

processed 3pm on Monday in Phuket at Central,

Sent out by EMS on Tuesday

Arrived at our home in Phuket Wednesday 3pm

Super service for 1,040 thb !

Cheers BBJ

On 8/4/2024 at 9:33 AM, digbeth said:

Thai citizen can't leave Thailand on an expired passport, he'll have to get the new one

My daughter has both Thai and UK passports. On a recent trip to Europe i forgot to renew her Thai passport before leaving Thailand, immigration let her leave on her UK one. On the way back into Thailand, she entered on her expired Thai passport (They cant refuse Thai nationals entering on an expired passport, same as all countries) and she was told to renew it asap.

PST

On 8/8/2024 at 9:17 PM, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Anyway Gents (and ladies),

Thanks for the feedback, Good news the Passport was

processed 3pm on Monday in Phuket at Central,

Sent out by EMS on Tuesday

Arrived at our home in Phuket Wednesday 3pm

Super service for 1,040 thb !

Cheers BBJ

Certainly "super service" when compared to the bureaucratic rigmarole facing your son when his current British passport is due for renewal - involving as it will be 2 time-consuming physical return trips between Phuket and Bangkok. Unfortunately the EMS mailing service appears to be considered far too hi-tech by those clowns in HMPO back in the UK for this purpose!

Edited by OJAS