Disbanding Move Forward Could Endanger Thailand’s Bid for UNHRC Membership

8 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

only a pity that the leaders of MFP will probably be banned from politics for some years ...

Only until the MFP are elected at the next election.

They can then use that piece of paper to wipe away the mornings visit to the loo.....then back to governing the country with all the side-lined academics involved.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, jayboy said:

https://www.ohchr.org/en/hr-bodies/hrc/current-members

By my count at least 15 current members have worse human rights records than Thailand.The Move Forward party should not be banned (actually it should be in power) but I don't see the argument in linking the issue to the UNHRC.

Yep, just looked at that list, some really dodgy countries on it...

• Agree 1

Just now, zyphodb said:

Yep, just looked at that list, some really dodgy countries on it...

Thailand would fit in quite nicely 555

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Pressure form outside is growing steadily, if Thailand wants to join the west it has to start cleaning up it's act.

which does it want to join? china or the west? the answer my friend is blowing in the wind...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

It doesn't.

The west does seem to be watching, if the opposition party is dissolved then good luck to Thailand during future trade talks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, User One said:

The UN has long lost its authority. This is a useless organization.

Yeah, the humanitarian aid they provide in disasters and war zones is totally useless.

A few weeks ago, I was hounded by some, on here, because I mention Thailand was in breach of UN Article 19, well guys, this from the above article, backs my comment.
"Thailand’s previous attempt to secure a UNHRC seat failed due to the diplomatic fallout from the 2014 coup and subsequent increases in human rights violations, including the misuse of the lèse majesté law to target political opponents. Chamnan suggested that dissolving the Move Forward party could hinder Thailand's current bid." I await an apology, thoughj I won't get one... more like I'll be again hounded.

On 8/5/2024 at 5:59 PM, Peabody said:

Yeah, the humanitarian aid they provide in disasters and war zones is totally useless.

Oh really? 🤦‍♂️ How much of humanitarian aid has the UN given to Thais affected by the recent floods? I didn't see this news here

Well, apparently the Move Forward party has been disbanded and its members banned from political activities for 10 (ten) years. I'm completely speechless.

5 hours ago, User One said:

Oh really? 🤦‍♂️ How much of humanitarian aid has the UN given to Thais affected by the recent floods? I didn't see this news here

15.9 million USD in general humanitarian aid in 2021. I don't have later figures.

Any other questions? I assume you don't know how to use Google.

Edited by Peabody