Thailand unveils new visa rules, sparks mixed reactions

15 hours ago, Kerryd said:

They didn't clarify though. You get the 180 days, and then can extend it for another 180 days and then what, do a border run and get another 180 days ?

Not a 100% clarification, but they did mention it.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Extensions beyond the initial 189 days require additional documentation.

A guess would be that requires another set of proof of the amount of money held and another receipt of payslip.

Edited by Gottfrid

2 hours ago, ryandb said:

Go to a local co working spot, I think you might be confused on the income of the vast majority of actual digital nomads

How many will soon lose all their work to AI?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

A vacuous,unthinking play of the race card. Very many Western countries have different rules for various nationalities wishing to enter and for good reason. As developed countries they are very attractive for those from poorer countries to overstay,enter the black market for employment etc. ,thus a need to be discriminating and police those wishing to enter. Thailand has a reputation for its nationals doing just that. 

I am talking about Thais who want to travel, not illegally work. 
They are discriminated against because they are Thai. It is racist.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Soon to be inscribed on a new Statue of Thainess:

Give me your drug-addled, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to avoid the draft back home, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the useless, tempest-tossed tossers to me, I lift my spliff beside the golden katoey!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The third category includes those with spouses or children in Thailand, requiring proof of relationship. This visa could serve as an alternative to the category O spousal visa but needs an extension every six months and necessitates leaving the country at least once per year.

Does not really seem a good alternative to the Cat O married to Thai visa since that one is only 400k on deposit & no need to leave once a year or get an extension every 6 months

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, mania said:

Does not really seem a good alternative to the Cat O married to Thai visa since that one is only 400k on deposit & no need to leave once a year or get an extension every 6 months

It isn't for being married to a Thai, it's for being married to DTV holder.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Kerryd said:

So you will be able to stay for 12 months at a cost of 7,600 baht (4 extensions at 1,900 each) plus the cost of 4 border runs.

or simply, the cost of 6 border runs,
which may work out cheaper depending on location and border used

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Most "skint expats" can get a yearly retirement extension for around 12,500.

Where do you get this 12,500 amount? I only pay 1,900. Then again maybe I am not "skint".

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Must be a lot of skint expats rolling on the bar floors laughing their butts off right now and ordering a bottle of the "good beer" for a change instead of their normal small glass of cheap draft.

And a lot of "digital nomad" (aka "begpackers") who will now be able to buy a skewer of BBQ chicken to go with their half order of rice once a day.
All they have to do is show a "slip" from their employer and show that they have basically just over $14,000 US in "assets" - somewhere in the world and they are good for a year.

Are you jealous or just a miserable person? I can't tell which ... 

Just now, khunjeff said:

That "discrimination" occurs because hundreds of thousands of their fellow citizens have gone to other countries under the guise of "wanting to travel" and ended up working illegally - in Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Europe, the UK, the US, Australia, New Zealand, and elsewhere. It's unfortunate that those who really do just want to sightsee have a difficult time as a result, but other countries can't ignore reality.

Plenty of your countrymen have worked in Thailand illegally.

• Confused 5
  • Haha 2

I don't get it: Visa exemption 60 days and can do as many as you like?

I live close to Cambodia where the booze is way cheaper. So every 60 days I can go shopping there, save a lot of money, pay the border guys 300 bath because I won't overnight and repeat?

17 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Soooo, unlimited 60 day "Visa Exemption Stamps" - which could be extended for 30 days at an Immigration office for 1900 baht. 
Giving you a 3 month stay for 1,900 baht. 

Then a border run to get a new 60 day stamp and another 1900 for an extension when that one is due.

So you will be able to stay for 12 months at a cost of 7,600 baht (4 extensions at 1,900 each) plus the cost of 4 border runs.

And for as many years (currently) as you like.

Until they suddenly change their minds and cut back on them the way they did with the 30 day Extensions 7 or 8 years ago.

Must be a lot of skint expats rolling on the bar floors laughing their butts off right now and ordering a bottle of the "good beer" for a change instead of their normal small glass of cheap draft.

And a lot of "digital nomad" (aka "begpackers") who will now be able to buy a skewer of BBQ chicken to go with their half order of rice once a day.
All they have to do is show a "slip" from their employer and show that they have basically just over $14,000 US in "assets" - somewhere in the world and they are good for a year.

They didn't clarify though. You get the 180 days, and then can extend it for another 180 days and then what, do a border run and get another 180 days ?
Because the Visa is good for 5 years. If it was only good for 1 year that would be a different story. But by making it a 5 year Visa, that implies you can keep getting "180 day" stamps each year and then extending the stay by an additional 180 days each time before having to do a "border run" again.

Sweet  deal.

But for the people who follow the rules and keep their money in the bank ? 

Not a bluddy thing.

Dildo  idea money in the bank, 4visaruns.exs  etc  and costs bout the same as an agent!  Who is in front? No need for drama anymore nay stayers! 🤪🤪

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The third category includes those with spouses or children in Thailand, requiring proof of relationship. This visa could serve as an alternative to the category O spousal visa but needs an extension every six months and necessitates leaving the country at least once per year.

Go back to the UK every 9 months.....starting to become interested in this visa.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

That should not present a problem...????

Take two minutes to knock one up.

Khaosan Road? Or was that just in the old days?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

95% over the next 5-10 years. ( conservative guess)

They will be fxxxxxxxxxxxd

Don't believe 95%. See in 10 years.Like Musk said about 10 years ago that humans would travel to mars, still nowhere near that objective.

AI will;l not do engineering and construction, physical and manual jiobs, farming preparing and making growing food, manufacturing installing and maintaining robotics and mechanical/electrical machinery, mining an extraction of minerals etc.,.,.,.

Maybe to some extent financial and service jobs., but humans will still be required to intervene.

Edited by freeworld
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Don't believe 95%. See in 10 years.Like Musk said about 10 years ago that humans would travel to mars, still nowhere near that objective.

AI will;l not do engineering and construction, physical and manual jiobs, farming preparing and making growing food, manufacturing installing and maintaining robotics and mechanical/electrical machinery, mining an extraction of minerals etc.,.,.,.

Maybe to some extent financial and service jobs., but humans will still be required to intervene.

Mate we are talking about the digital nomads.  they will be 95% fxxxxxxd

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, paulikens said:

Time will tell but I can see the IO's not playing ball.   Does the Ministry of foreign affairs really decide how IO apply the rules.   they do as they please.  

Yesterday arrived back in Bangkok from abroad with my visa extension (valid to end Sept 2024) and reentry permit. Young immmig officer checks my passport pages and asks me how long I want to stay. I told her up to the end validity on my visa extension (as they always did) so that's what she put on the entry stamp. Immig seemed more friendly than usual.

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

4 x visa runs are (at cheapest) 14,000 baht (if a Cambodia Visa is required on a border run), plus the 4 extensions for 7,900, for a total of 21,600 and many fun hours in a minivan.

Why a minivan? Why Cambodia?

Anyway. Drive your car or ride your motorcycle to a border, maybe 500 baht in gas. Burma, Laos, Cambodian or Malaysian visa, whatever price that is, say 1500THB average. 2000THB give or take. Forget getting extensions at immigration. Just do the road trip once every 2 months, cost approx 1000 baht a month. 

• Sad 1