What's the Most Surprising Thing You've Learned About Living in Thailand?

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Usually, it's because they would go broke quite quickly in their home country.

Some of us have worked out it's smarter to live here comfortably, than struggle back home.

My only reason to go back to Australia is for serious health issues, as I have top level private health cover there.

So you were living in Thailand paying the approx  $200 (AUD) a month for private health insurance?

May I ask why, your  over 67, you can just use your State Government hospital Service free ,and use Medicare free

I pay into Private health insurance,but the difference is I'm still working and get taxation benefits 

Sure I understand the Government hospitals are not the best at unless you have serious health issues Australian private health insurance is a waste of money 

Edited by georgegeorgia

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

So you were living in Thailand paying the approx  $200 (AUD) a month for private health insurance?

May I ask why, your  over 67, you can just use your State Government hospital Service free ,and use Medicare free

I pay into Private health insurance,but the difference is I'm still working and get taxation benefits 

The point of having private health insurance in Australia is time. And expertise.

For example, in Thailand I had an inguinal hernia. Quite painful.

I flew back to Australia. In one weeks' time, I had an appointment with the surgeon. A week later, I was on the operating table. With one of the top surgeons in Melbourne.

In the public system, I might have waited 3 months for the initial appointment, and another 3 months for the operation. I would have got whatever surgeon the system decreed.

Emergency care is not the same, it doesn't make any difference if you are a public or private patient.

I do know a former work colleague who needed a hip replacement. He spent 18 months living on painkillers, heaven knows what that did to his kidneys and liver.

IMO retaining my private health insurance is one of my better life decisions.

1. We learn that they like our money but many do not really like the falang foreigner.

2. We learn that better to avoid the unknown westerners who try to start a conversation in public areas.

3. We learn that many western businesses cheat other westerner customers more then the thai businesses do.

4. We learn that elementary politeness in public has long been discarded by foreigners/falangs, but remains very present amongst thais and even the bully type Thais, are very much polite people.

5. We learn that nothing is consistent and all depends on the mood of the assistant behind the counter ot make up or unmake his or her rules of the day.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I was seen by a clinic Dr here in LOS, because of a small growth on my neck.  She told me to go straight to the dermatology department of BHP.  I was there within 30 minutes, seen by a consultant within another 20 minutes, biopsy taken immediately.  Had the results within 3 days and the growth surgery straight away.  Total cost was 52,000 Baht.  You wouldn't get that service anywhere in the World, Aussie included.  And if you can't afford to pay for this kind of service, you have no business living here. 

It depends on the circumstances. I have had 20,000 baht cystoscopies here.

OTOH, I also developed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. 3 weeks for the results to come back at a private hospital in Chiang Rai.

Back on a plane to Australia. 6 months' infusion therapy, one year's worth of targeted inhibitor orally. Three CAT scans.

Cost of the targeted inhibitor $7.50/month. AUD. I am reliably informed the cost in the US would be $7000/month. USD. I don't even know if it is available in Thailand.

Could you afford 3 million baht for the oral medication alone, let alone the rest of the treatment?

11 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

As an expatriate of some nearly 35 years I would entirely discourage anyone from setting down roots in this country.

There are +'s, i.e. if you just go with the flow.

I don't know which country you came from, e.g. UK possibly, do you think back in your home country you would be better off ?

It is what it is, there is no place perfect, 40,000 baht a month, I couldn't survive on that if I tried, that's not living.

Maybe if you had a few more baht a month you'd be happier, just saying 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

I was seen by a clinic Dr here in LOS, because of a small growth on my neck.  She told me to go straight to the dermatology department of BHP.  I was there within 30 minutes, seen by a consultant within another 20 minutes, biopsy taken immediately.  Had the results within 3 days and the growth surgery straight away.  Total cost was 52,000 Baht.  You wouldn't get that service anywhere in the World, Aussie included.  And if you can't afford to pay for this kind of service, you have no business living here. 

I was diagnosed with Kidney cancer.

I dictated the timing of surgery to remove to fit around my schedule, total cost.... zero.

52 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I was diagnosed with Kidney cancer.

I dictated the timing of surgery to remove to fit around my schedule, total cost.... zero.

Lucky you mate, but that wasn't in LOS and that's where I live.  

Edited by Doctor Tom

On 8/5/2024 at 5:15 PM, Conan The Barbarian said:

What's the Most Surprising Thing You've Learned About Living in Thailand?

Please share your experiences.

How nasty and miserable foreigners can be. 

Thailand and its people, the most beautiful but foreigners, always moaning and complaining. 

Thailand seems to attract all the losers these days. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I can drive my car(s)/ride my bike(s) like a complete madman with little to no repercussion.... assuming Iam sober and do not maim/kill any innocents !

Quite a few years after I settled in Thailand, I bought a Buell, it was loud and fast. I'd take it for a ride, give it a bit, ride down to Rayong and back to Pattaya. I would be sweating, anxious thinking the cops were coming from behind, never happened. Had a cop pull me up once to show me a photo of his Buell, cool cop. 

I've owned big bikes ever since, all noisy and fast, the last couple of bikes, Ducati's around 200hp. The cops pull me over at regular checkpoints, they love the bikes I ride, they are not interested in defecting my bike or giving me a ticket, I always get a smile and waved on. 😎

If I were in Australia, I wouldn't have a licence. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Quite a few years after I settled in Thailand, I bought a Buell, it was loud and fast. I'd take it for a ride, give it a bit, ride down to Rayong and back to Pattaya. I would be sweating, anxious thinking the cops were coming from behind, never happened. Had a cop pull me up once to show me a photo of his Buell, cool cop. 

I've owned big bikes ever since, all noisy and fast, the last couple of bikes, Ducati's around 200hp. The cops pull me over at regular checkpoints, they love the bikes I ride, they are not interested in defecting my bike or giving me a ticket, I always get a smile and waved on. 😎

When they open up the tolls, the 7 motorway is great for some high speed bike runs.

18 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Vogon's are in Thailand?!?!

May the gods help us!!!!

Don't worry, most of them believe the intergalactic highway construction project for a hyperspace express route was completed without being aware it went to Phuket for a feasibility study.

• Haha 2

On 8/6/2024 at 7:15 AM, Kalorymetr said:

What I learned?

Yes can mean "I don't know". They never acknowledge if they don't know something so asking locals for directions is a waste of time.

It  seems to me, having lived and/or worked within numerous ASIAN countries that this is a common trait among all of those ASIAN countries.

15 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

My permeant residences is in the U.S. of A., I am in Thailand until the 21st.   Before coming over I had a painful and sensitive spot on the back of my neck.   

July 8 at about 11:30 am, I called my dermatologist and advised them I thought I had another skin cancer.  I was told, we have opening at 12:00 and 3:30 Pm, when would you like to come in.  Being that I was still on my first cup of coffee after waking up, I opted for 3:30 pm.  

Biopsy was taken and July 9 I was advised that I had a squamous cell carcinoma.  Doc had a minute so she spoke to me.  She said I could go in on the 10th or wait till my next scheduled 6th month exam on Aug 27 and she could take care of the skin cancer then.   I chose to wait as I was leaving for Thailand on the 14th.   This dermatology office is a very good one in my opinion.   Better quality service than the Veterans Administration hospital and I don't have to drive to the city of Philadelphia. 

I would not claim this is the usual fast service here in the U.S. of A.  though.   I am on Medicare and retained my government paid health insurance, through Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS), when I retired, which picks up anything that Medicare does not cover and covers my wife who does not have Medicare.  BCBS also covers me here in Thailand or just about anywhere on Earth that the U.S. of A. has an embassy and whose employees has health care.  

Edited by radiochaser

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

As far as I know, I have 2. 

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

IMO this is one of the funniest clips in "Justified" Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe is brilliant.

On 8/6/2024 at 8:12 AM, BobDobbs said:

I've learned how unappreciative and indifferent Thailand is towards foreign expat presence.

It is perfectly legal and acceptable for industries to discriminate against us foreigners. Not simply tourists, but those who have lived years in Thailand, have family in Thailand. Not simply for National Park entrance fees (which can add up to consider both sums with a long stay), but more importantly the hospitals which are already prone to gouge us - fully legal and allowed.

Continual and habitual whining and complaining about TOURIST revenue sources from abroad yet completely ignore our contribution. This is born out by the fact how difficult it is to conduct any personal business from banking to the government dealings.

Even a bringing in as little as b40,000 pm is still double that of a typical wage earning Thai. Therefore the contribution is double that of perhaps 65% of the country.

Foreigners are disallowed from owning a tiny plot of land and home despite Thailand providing and will be success for these individuals to be in country.

All visas without exception are non-immigrant. It is virtually impossible to get permanent residency and especially citizenship. All sorts of stupid and ridiculous barriers are set up to sabotage the effort. It's basically old retirees and expatriots with exceptionally well paying jobs that can take a stab at PR and citizenship.

It seems almost since the beginning of the entrance of Chinese into the tourist market Thailand has been beset with all sorts of criminal and cultural problems. Including a pervasive kidnapping problem as well as call centers. Only love here. Thailand continues to lower the barrier of entry to the country for these people.

Starting a business since ridiculously complicated and needlessly expensive.

It is impossible to now gain Thai government insurance for a former teachers unless that person can be placed in a yellow book which means they must be for their spouse must be a homeowner.

We often support wives that many have been cast off in marriages as well as their children.

Despite smelling like a rose and dressed well the last empty seat on any transport conveyance will be next to us.. the farang

Now, the tax bullsxx+, tax worldwide income..

A case in point to the jingoism: recently there was banter about condo ownership/ raising the quota of foreigners. The typical yellow shirts came out... Xenophobia and jingoism ... The actual fact of the matter is that not one more Foreigner will be added to the condo rolls due to this adjustment. There are scant few condos in which foreigners are bumping up against the limit. I would argue further that these are condos in which ties would NEVER want to live in anyway

If I wasn't married I would be out of here in a flash. As an expatriate of some nearly 35 years I would entirely discourage anyone from setting down roots in this country.

It's only going to get worse.

If you dislike it so much, bring your family to your home country unless you can't afford to life there of course.

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Food in the south is different.

Yes, there are some different foods in the south, Massaman Curry is of course not Isan.  But Som Tum, Grilled chicken (Gai Yang) Larb, fermented sausage (sai krok), Nam Tok, grilled pork neck, Pla Nin that grilled fish you see at fod stalls, it is not an exaggeration to say that the heart of Thai cuisine is Isan cuisine, ie Lao cuisine.