Brutal assault on Canadian raises serious questions about tourist safety in Pattaya

webfact

2 hours ago, Joe Boy Walton said:

"Mr. Patipan stressed that eyewitnesses did not see the entire incident from the beginning and misunderstood the situation. He attempted to explain to the tourist, but the tourist ran away. Upon seeing news reports of the incident, Mr. Patipan contacted the police to clarify the events."

So the tourist ran away to ICU after being pushed to the ground and hitting his head, after pushing and shoving went on that wasn't witnessed. Sounds legit.

The perpetrator is talking about the "eyewitnesses" and the "tourist" as the same person. He is not talking about the victim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john donson said:

at what time did he go to... ahum... socialize with the ho's ?

maybe he thought he was a big dog and pissed on the wrong tree...

maybe you should try and keep up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Well there is the evidence. 
A pack of rabid Thai bouncers attacking an innocent Farang trying to kill him as imagined by all the Thai haters!!

Or an argumentative drunken Farang getting in the face of a single Thai security professional who pushed him away. 

Hi @MalcolmB

Still stirring the pot?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Thai security official that pushed him away after the drunken farang was getting in his face after having been politely asked to stop leaning on a car.

Security official... getting in his face... politely asked... the head wound was actually caused by the working girls who dropped him...

So little evidence, so much wasted bandwidth.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i'd say possibly smacked the back of his head when he fell, but either way, he wasn't attacked by 'cowardly Thais' as the 7 pages of total fantasy posts and scenarios have suggested.

Correct. He was attacked by only ONE cowardly Thai.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Ok, but the Police Chief pointed out last time it's not Security's job to fight tourists. He said their job is to protect tourists and to call the police when a situation demands it. 

Indeed, but the bouncers didn't have the money  to be accepted as a police officer so they their second alternative was security/bouncer.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Seems like to me that Pattya just wants to have its cake and eat it too.  I realize that the govt knows exactly why so many men come to Thailand and they know that Pattaya is the number one place to go outside of Bangkok so there is no way they will shut down the bars there or here in BKK as they get way too much money from those sources.  However, it sure seems that they should be able to take care of these "bouncers" by throwing them in prison for a while to calm them down.  Also all tourists need to be aware that there are some places that are basically unsafe if one is drunk or maybe even sober so that they can avoid those areas.  I have been in Thailand for more than 30 years total and have never had any kind of altercation here.  I have even spent some days and nights in Pattaya with my family but we didn't hang around the bar area either.

Good luck to all and hope this older many recovers completely and wiser.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. And just FYI, it was a form of satire, however I think it is quite applicable in many situations. 

you do have to pass certain requirements when adopting but anyone can have a kid the normal way regardless, even though some shouldn't....so there is a point to what you said

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Correct. He was attacked by only ONE cowardly Thai.

how was he cowardly, from the clip it was only him and the Canadian, you can't hear what was said.

i've been here nearly 20ys, had 3 fights in that time and all drunk western tourists, not once had any hassle from a Thai. guess it's how one behaves. 

i'd imagine if this dude and just moved off the car and/or apologised he wouldn't be in ICU now.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i'd imagine if this dude and just moved off the car and/or apologised he wouldn't be in ICU now.

You're probably right, did he have an insurance that covers his ICU stay or will there be another gofundme request?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A difference that was pointed out on this thread by Georgealbert more than six hours ago, but conveniently ignored by most posters.

I think it is fair to say that no one is, or ever could be, as diligent as you in reading through whole threads.

And that's a great shame, this forum would be so much better it they did bother to read (or at least, acknowledge the existence of) accurate information that others have posted that rebuts speculation and outright false claims.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, prb said:

What the Canadian is trying to do with the car?

He's not leaning against it as previously reported.

Having a pee?....that would be a tad annoying.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

A pack of rabid Thai bouncers attacking an innocent Farang trying to kill him as imagined by all the Thai haters!!

Or an argumentative drunken Farang getting in the face of a single Thai security professional who pushed him away. 

Hardly, looks like a single push after the falang pushed the Thai

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Watching that, I feel like saying that the police report wasn't the expected BS.

But more importantly, any news of the victim yet? Also it looks like his head hit the ground twice: first when he fell and second when the "rescuers" let him drop on the tarmac.

Edited by Ben Zioner

Reading some of the comments here I'm actually glad it's the Thai police making the investigation. Many of you are absolutely anti-Thai anti-Soi6 and would do everything to blame security/bars despite the video evidence.

No mob, no punching, no kicking, no brutality, no bars involved - just ONE security guy with a "get away" push after the foreigner persisted in the confrontation. Unfortunately he fell in a bad way given his age and condition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Don't expect any apologies from the fools that trashed you.  It was obvious from your first post that your opinion that "there was much more to the story" was more than likely the truth.  Now you might get some fools trying to make comparisons to what would happen in the west if a bouncer shoved an offensive person.... 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Have been going to soi 6 for 10 years never had a problem.  Don't get drunk, be polite and pay your bill all is well.

Too many other idiots make problems.

It's amazing how smoothly life goes in Pattaya, and in Thailand generally, year after year, decade after decade, if you show politeness and respect for the locals at all times. If you're asked, or told, to do something, like move your motorbike from in front of a shop or out of the motorbike taxi parking area, you move it. "You need to leave" means, Sawatdee, krub. Here, "stop leaning up against that car" or whatever it was. What will be likely an unpleasant confrontation can end pleasantly, or at least painlessly, with a smile.

What you don't do is get on your high horse and protest and assert your imagined civil and human rights and attempt to school the locals on legalities and "proper" behavior. That'll always be self-defeating. You're in their country and their territory now. "A dog is always king in his own backyard."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Gay Tim Newton reported today that a Canadian was beaten down soi 6, days after it was proven wrong and over a week after the incident.  He then changed it to assaulted a few hours later.

Tim Newton is famous for attacking soi 6 and straight night life bars. Never seen any gay ones attacked by him.  This is the problem with sitting on your own aggregating,  slow news and even further from facts.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2024 at 2:23 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

So what is the story, then?   The full story, of course.  Simply leaning on a car does not produce the type of attack that has been reported. 

"Tourist Police Division 4, Sub-Division 2, brought in Mr. Patipan So-Heng, a 28-year-old security guard from Soi Pattaya 6, for questioning at the Pattaya City Police Station's investigation room.

Mr. Patipan So-Heng, 28, spoke to reporters about the incident, explaining that he was informed by locals about a tourist attempting to break into a car. When the car owner confronted the tourist, the latter became aggressive. Mr. Patipan intervened to check the situation, but the tourist refused to cooperate and pushed him against a car. In response, Mr. Patipan pushed back. The tourist then tried to advance again, prompting Mr. Patipan to push him once more, causing the tourist to fall and hit his head on the ground.

Mr. Patipan stressed that eyewitnesses did not see the entire incident from the beginning and misunderstood the situation. He attempted to explain to the tourist, but the tourist ran away. Upon seeing news reports of the incident, Mr. Patipan contacted the police to clarify the events.

CCTV footage captured the altercation, clearly showing there was no punching involved, only pushing, which led to the tourist falling and injuring himself. The footage has been submitted to investigators as evidence to ensure fair proceedings for all parties involved.”

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Baba Naba said:
On 8/6/2024 at 2:52 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

In the original OP, although that apparently inaccurate report has since been corrected.

"Mr Westendorf was attacked ... when one of the so-called bouncers struck him...".

It's a reasonable inference that "an assault" resulting in his "being struck" involved a punch

"Tourist Police Division 4, Sub-Division 2, brought in Mr. Patipan So-Heng, a 28-year-old security guard from Soi Pattaya 6, for questioning at the Pattaya City Police Station's investigation room.

Mr. Patipan So-Heng, 28, spoke to reporters about the incident, explaining that he was informed by locals about a tourist attempting to break into a car. When the car owner confronted the tourist, the latter became aggressive. Mr. Patipan intervened to check the situation, but the tourist refused to cooperate and pushed him against a car. In response, Mr. Patipan pushed back. The tourist then tried to advance again, prompting Mr. Patipan to push him once more, causing the tourist to fall and hit his head on the ground.

Mr. Patipan stressed that eyewitnesses did not see the entire incident from the beginning and misunderstood the situation. He attempted to explain to the tourist, but the tourist ran away. Upon seeing news reports of the incident, Mr. Patipan contacted the police to clarify the events.

CCTV footage captured the altercation, clearly showing there was no punching involved, only pushing, which led to the tourist falling and injuring himself. The footage has been submitted to investigators as evidence to ensure fair proceedings for all parties involved.”

What point are you attempting to make?  That was posted after the original OP to which I referred!  This is what I posted, as can be seen in my comment that you quoted...

"In the original OP, although that apparently inaccurate report has since been corrected".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There you have it! A shoving match ensued after the drunk Canuck was confronted about him trying to get into someone else's vehicle. He fell back and bonked his head. No punches thrown and no "group of Thug bouncers" Like half the half witted posters like to spew out... 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

No I don’t expect any apologies from these plonkers.

There are about 8 of them who argue with whatever I say, no matter what the evidence and there seems to be 3 or 4 of them who constantly claim I am not a real Brit for some reason I can not understand.

i have noted that these muppets all have tens of thousands of posts. Take themselves a bit too seriously and love slagging off Thai people as we have seen in this thread. I think is time for them to pack their bags and head to the airport.

i feel a lot safer here on the streets drunk late at night than back in the UK, that is for sure.

I feel the same and been here for 25 years (since 41 yo).  In the past it upset me but now I find them entertaining. Happy not to be a nasty angry man that gets off bashing another nationality and  can't grasp that their attitude is the reason they are treated poorly by the locals.  

Keep being authentic and don't worry about their mental struggles.  To their defense, most are being authentic and just have created a story in their dim minds that is their reality which makes arguing with them futile.  Get the impression most are not living a satisfying life.   

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Happy not to be a nasty angry man that gets off bashing another nationality and  can't grasp that their attitude is the reason they are treated poorly by the locals.  

Yes good point. 
it is these types that do have problems with Thai people because they bring it upon themselves with their atrocious attitudes.

this forum is very useful but you have to sift through the idiots. I usually just skip reading their posts anyway.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2024 at 3:57 PM, Will B Good said:

Wash your mouth out.

Perhaps we could consider some changes to the Beach Road area to make it more family-friendly. What do you think?

Close the bars and make it an area for families to play and close it down for the night.

• Confused 1

I'd kick in a few baht to a GoFundMe to buy decent CCTV cameras.

I watched the video a few times, and can barely see what happened at the vehicle. 

I'm not going to comment about the ladies dropping the poor guy on his head. 

Has there been any update on his condition?  (Pardon my laziness, not wanting to wade through pages of trolling...)

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Frankly, nothing will happen. No time will be served. No improvements made. No accountabilty. Justice will not be served .. again.... at least of any significance. The big broom will sweep it under the carpet to remain quietly forgotten together with other assaults, beatings and fights that make up Pattaya.

The usual get out of jail card " He was defending the Thai people, he was using abusive language disrespecting Thai people.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1