Gas Leak Causes Explosion, Engulfs Home, Three Chinese Nationals Escape Injury

Georgealbert

17 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

What type of pipe and connectors are you using for linking the LPG cylinder and cooker?

It can become problematic if the LPG cylinder and/or valve have not been regularly inspected or tested properly.

Most  normal people use this.

it works great.

vvvvvvv.PNG

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

In all our houses I have the gas cylinder outside the house in its own ventilated cupboard then run the pipe through the wall to the cooker on the inside. Most people in rural areas connect their own cylinders . Not rocket science.

In a cupboard ? that would catch on fire preventing you from turning it off and then the cylinder would get to hot and explode......

56 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

In a cupboard ? that would catch on fire preventing you from turning it off and then the cylinder would get to hot and explode......

Not really a cupboard as such. I used that for want of a better word. Two rows of breeze blocks , one either side , breeze blocks across the top and a net over the front. This because being on the outside of the house , at certain times of the year it would be a full sunlight which I felt could be dangerous. This way it is always in shade and gets ventilated so that if there were a leak from the valve it would dissipate on the outside rather than within the confines of the kitchen.

3 hours ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

Gotta respect them receptacles containing flammable products.

When I did my course on LPG fire fighting, we were asked if we had seen an LPG tank on fire No came the reply from the class, The 'Teacher' then took out a cigarette lighter and lit it, he said well now you have, look it does not blow back and Explode.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Not really a cupboard as such. I used that for want of a better word. Two rows of breeze blocks , one either side , breeze blocks across the top and a net over the front. This because being on the outside of the house , at certain times of the year it would be a full sunlight which I felt could be dangerous. This way it is always in shade and gets ventilated so that if there were a leak from the valve it would dissipate on the outside rather than within the confines of the kitchen.

Gas tanks are left in full sun at the depots, on delivery trucks, and all over Thailand but I Do get your concerns. This is my set up, I have the thicker gas pipe and it runs under my kitchen floor inside the PVC pipe right up to the stove, to the other side, mind you that tank is looking worse for wear, rust not a good sign. had I been in at the time I would have refused it.

IMG_20240812_121317.thumb.jpg.af95a75c7a54436dafc15e821634936c.jpg

On 8/11/2024 at 10:18 AM, Victor Laszlo said:

They said flames suddenly erupted from the gas cylinder, which suggests it was in the kitchen, you'd think in a ten million baht property it would be housed outside.

Keep out tank outside ,,  piped with S.S thru the wall then extra shut off inside 

20240812_143856.jpg

20240812_143745.jpg

On 8/10/2024 at 2:37 PM, impulse said:

On an aside, do Thai owners generally carry enough insurance to cover a 10 million baht home?  (Assuming the foreign occupants were renters...)

And in any case, will they go after the renters to recover the damages?

I'm asking as a prospective renter...  Will I want to get insurance to cover my liability?

Back home, we'd suspect cooking meth, or bean burrito night.  Sadly, the news cycle will probably be onto other things when they finish the investigation.

Renters can get insurance to cover this. But also ask for 3rd party ie if the explosion in your rented house then damages the next door neighbour. A good broker can sort you out with this. We rent a building and our tenants have a restaurant. We pay half each for insurances

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 1:59 PM, Georgealbert said:

Yes agree with you.

My belief is this explosion was caused by a gas leak from either the body of a LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) cylinder, valve, regulator, hose or from the cooker, as there is no evidence from responders that the cylinder itself had ruptured, such as would be expected if the cylinder had been exposed to heat and suffered a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion)

The LPG may have been leaking for a time and finally reached a gas-air mixture, in the kitchen, within its flammability/explosive limit range, and was ignited by the flame noticed by the occupants. LPG is heavier than air and can build up and disperse over an area fairly quickly.

Investigation of the physical evidence will be difficult to interpret, as it maybe impossible to identify what damage, loose connections or faults were present before the explosion or was caused by the explosion. Investigators will have to question the occupants and who last changed the cylinder, plus if a new cooker, who fitted it, to try to determine the possible cause.

IMG_4290.jpeg
Picture from responders of the kitchen

Hi, I read your comment with interest and wanted to know if you can look at page 2 of this post Luuk Chaai comment.

Does his photo look like a safe set up?

We have a building rented. Our tenants run a restaurant. They have a kitchen with a line of cookers under the cook top area. I would like to get a photo to show you actually. 

If one of the pipes leaks during the cooking process I assume there could be an explosion? 

Every morning they raise the metal gate of the kitchen and fresh air flows in. So if, for example, they forget to turn off a gas valve overnight, then one would hope that after raising the large metal gate that will be less of a problem? 

We dont know if we should continue renting to them actually. Its a high risk tenant. Should rent to a motorcycle shop or a furniture store....

thanks for your opinion on this

2 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Keep out tank outside ,,  piped with S.S thru the wall then extra shut off inside 

20240812_143856.jpg

20240812_143745.jpg

That Tap and pipe are Not stainless, Cast iron that will rust.

Edited by brianthainess

3 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Hi, I read your comment with interest and wanted to know if you can look at page 2 of this post Luuk Chaai comment.

Does his photo look like a safe set up?

We have a building rented. Our tenants run a restaurant. They have a kitchen with a line of cookers under the cook top area. I would like to get a photo to show you actually. 

If one of the pipes leaks during the cooking process I assume there could be an explosion? 

Every morning they raise the metal gate of the kitchen and fresh air flows in. So if, for example, they forget to turn off a gas valve overnight, then one would hope that after raising the large metal gate that will be less of a problem? 

We dont know if we should continue renting to them actually. Its a high risk tenant. Should rent to a motorcycle shop or a furniture store....

thanks for your opinion on this

Sorry not qualified enough to offer expert opinion, as my knowledge is on the risks, hazards and emergency response, and no experience as a  gas fitter.

But I would say that general safety guidances do seem to have been followed, the cylinder is outside and looks in good condition. There is a shut off both outside and inside, which I assume are easy to access. Someone else raised the quality of the pipe work, which needs to be checked for corrosion. So yes seems far safer that having the cylinder under/next to the cooker.

LPG is safe if used properly, with quality equipment, which if fitted correctly and maintained.

What is strange about this incident, is that if an LPG leak is burning, it is normally safe providing the flame are not onto the cylinder or likely to set anything else on fire. With the leak burning the gas is not escaping or building up and is never going to reach a gas/air explosive mixture. The witnesses above said they saw flames at the cylinder, but did not say if they extinguished those flames.

When a leak is not burning and starts to fill a poorly ventilated space , that is when there is a possibility of it building into an explosive atmosphere, that just needs any ignition source to go bang.

The other explosion risk is BLEVE, which requires direct heat or flame onto the cylinder. The heat then causes the liquid to boil quicker , giving off more vapour, so expanding and increasing the pressure in the cylinder, until it gets too much and can explode. Most LPG cylinders have a pressure release valve fitted, and if this operates and gives off a high pitch whistle, that is an indication that a BLEVE is possible and it is time to get far away. For a cylinder to BLEVE you should know that you have a problem, as the area around the cylinder will be on fire.